Atmosphere against Birmingham

Just back to Kent after 5 days in Sheff. Next stop - Fulham.

The Birmingham game, i know it's been and gone, but the atmosphere was absolutely pathetic. 28,000 in the ground. Had the misfortune to sit up near the Birmingham fans (was front of North) who out-sung us all the way through the second half. Embarrassing. The lads at the back of the North must have called it a day at 3-0 up and gone to the pub (or stayed at the kiosks and watched in the screens). Seriously, did they?

The final 30-35 minutes there was barely a song. Just the sound of a distant drummer boy at the back/right hand side of the Kop. The rest of the Kop was silent, or if they were singing, sure as hell could not hear it where I was sat.

Most cringe-worthy Birmingham song... "Is this a library - is this a library?"

So what to do with the atmosphere at S6?   A "Holmesdale end" (see Crystal Palace), singing section, down towards the front/north stand side of the Kop?

It was that poor it was shameful, 3-0 up f.f.s. - closing on a play-off place, and almost silent. Why is this?   Even the Carlos song faded away after 2 verses. Plop.

Guest WESTENDOWL

I was at Ibrox on Monday and the noise was unbelievable . I know there was 5 short of 50,000 in the ground but all four sides were singing from kids to grandads some people at Hillsborough think they are too old to join in or is that they dont want be effing and blinding every other line of a song

Just back to Kent after 5 days in Sheff. Next stop - Fulham.

The Birmingham game, i know it's been and gone, but the atmosphere was absolutely pathetic. 28,000 in the ground. Had the misfortune to sit up near the Birmingham fans (was front of North) who out-sung us all the way through the second half. Embarrassing. The lads at the back of the North must have called it a day at 3-0 up and gone to the pub (or stayed at the kiosks and watched in the screens). Seriously, did they?

The final 30-35 minutes there was barely a song. Just the sound of a distant drummer boy at the back/right hand side of the Kop. The rest of the Kop was silent, or if they were singing, sure as hell could not hear it where I was sat.

Most cringe-worthy Birmingham song... "Is this a library - is this a library?"

So what to do with the atmosphere at S6? A "Holmesdale end" (see Crystal Palace), singing section, down towards the front/north stand side of the Kop?

It was that poor it was shameful, 3-0 up f.f.s. - closing on a play-off place, and almost silent. Why is this? Even the Carlos song faded away after 2 verses. Plop.

I Gotta admit it was poor for that attendance and shoreline

It was quite an odd game for a 3-0 win though. The first half was pretty cagey until we scored two rather fortunate goals. After that, Birmingham went to pieces a bit and we ran them ragged for a while and scored our third. That was game, set and match to us, and with the result practically certain neither team was going to go all out in the last half hour to change anything with another game to come two days later. Also, I assume there would have been a relatively high proportion of children there who don't normally go, so that might have had an effect.

Guest WESTENDOWL

Lucky get  :biggrin:

Hope you had a brilliant day mate 

a few in the Red Lion on PRW then off to the game after the second goal a rendition of TBB  a great day and night in Glasgow

Edited by WESTENDOWL

I have said this for a long time, but to really improve the atmosphere we need to push all the fans towards the pitch and make the place feel like it is full.

I have suggested, and I am sure some arhitect type could come up with a solution, a false wall that walls off the back ten rows of all stands right the way around the ground. Hence, when we do not sell out the ground we have a false smaller capacity ground and fans are forced forwards.

The wall could also be made of some material that echo's all sound forward towards the pitch.

West Stand needs knocking down and rebuilding to accommodate this.

I cannot believe that no one has thought of this previously. To improve atmosphere you tighten the ground. You tighten it by pushing the fans towards the pitch.

If we sell more tickets for certain games then the wall moves back by enough rows to fit all the fans in.

It is so simple it is genius. Create a ground with flexible capacity.