Life B.C. (Before Computers)

I seem to recall 3 or 4 games in they would appear. I remember waiting patiently for them when we were top of the Prem that time under Pleat after 4 or 5 games.

I remember having my League Ladders from Shoot! all ready to go, waiting for the first tables to be published.

lol

I seem to recall 3 or 4 games in they would appear. I remember waiting patiently for them when we were top of the Prem that time under Pleat after 4 or 5 games.

SKY I think. Can't remember that one on tbh.

sky,sky you were lucky we only had three channels. I used to mix the teletext so I could still watch telly as well.

There was definitely a science to refreshing and advancing teletext pages. You were either in the camp who believed letting it be advanced it quicker by the fact that you're not losing valuable seconds between hold presses. Or you were in the press hold twice camp. Visually pressing hold twice made it seem faster as you got to see the numbers rolling. Although after a few failed experiments with my stopwatch I must admit that the results were inconclusive.

I used to listen to "Saturday Special" with Paddy Feeny on the BBC World Service. They would have second half commentary from a first division ( pre prem days) or sometimes a lower division match involving promotion rivals. They would update the scores as they came in. Quick break for the news at full time then James Alexander Gordon with the classified results followed with match reports from around the country. All this before 9:30 am PST. The birth and growth of the internet diminished the popularity of the shortwave radio leading to the BBC stopping broadcasting to North America

Guest Distraught!

Also. Fanzines! They were the breeding ground for today's modern Owlstalker, I always remember some guy called w.m Lee or some such name. He was a right flouncer. lol

of Worcester?  lol

Early 90's for away games I just couldn't stand listening to away game commentaries on local radio if we didn't go.

Due to this I developed a strange habit of watching the scores update on teletext. But only with one eye open with the remote blocking the screen and slowly I would reveal the score starting with the opposition first. If they hadn't added to their score since the previous update all was good.

It seemed so stressful back then and that was the sodding "glory" years.

Even now I cannot stand the stress of radio commentaries.

Oh and it was a double hold from me too.

I'm sure I remember praise and grumble being done by Bob Jackson certainly in the 80s maybe earlier. Apart from that it was the green Un letters page.

Saturday afternoon show had reports every 15 minutes or so from games, it was agony waiting for an update.  Think he used to play a brass band record and people thought it made Wednesday score!!!  Hard to believe now but fans weren't so involved day to day.  You went to the game, read the sports news in the papers and that was it. Most supporters didn't know who the chairman was, and didn't care.

I kind of understand what you are saying but it was a different world back then.

There were no foreign owners and committees, there was no transfer window limiting the time you could sign players. And most notably, you didn't sack managers every five minutes, especially one who took you to your second best finish in 15 years.

So all in all, there would be less to discuss anyway. It seems to me that some of the situations we have these days, especially the constant changes of managers, are born of the Internet age.

Praise or grumble was the first football phone in show in the country, I remember the brass band record too. Bob Jackson used to play it in the last few mins of games if any of the local teams needed a goal! I also remember him asking every female caller if she was cooking tea for her husband when he got back from't match! Proper old school our Bob

apparently is started in 1986 as just a grumble show, 35 mins long and each caller had about 30/40 seconds to air their views. after Wednesday won 5-0 a caller phoned in to praise Wednesday, bob tried to get rid of him but he persisted and was given airtime. he said then and there the programme changed to praise and grumble.

I think I broke the 'hold' button on our remote from thinking pressing hold and then pressing it again would make the page load faster. Also did anybody play that game on channel 4's teletext (?) bamboozler. I used to roam between the footy pages and that. Quality stuff.

Ah the summer of ´93. I was brilliant at Bamboozler. You could gauge whether you´d got the right answer by the time it took to change pages. Then change it to the right one.

post-24657-0-03392100-1434698440.jpg