Life B.C. (Before Computers)

I wonder what all these armchair critics, amateur managers, whingers, moaners and groaners would have done to pass away the hours in the dark ages - 30 years BC- when there were no forums to air their grievances on, no Radio Sheffield to keep them informed, and no news about the club from May to August except the weekly ramblings of the Green 'Un.

The mind boggles when trying to imagine how they would have passed the time.

Life before computers,hmmmmm let's see,football training Saturday morning,home for dinner and football focus then waiting for my uncle to pick me up and off to the match .

The highlight of the day was to check teletext and the club call page to see bizarre cryptic messages about international superstars about to join Wednesday.

Hmmmmm happy days.

ceefax and teletext didn't exist BC !!

Im only 36 ffs, give me a break, plus you could barely get a game to load on a f*cking 48k Spectrum with all 8 colours, let alone find out the latest Wednesday news, so, I'm still counting it as BC :D

Edited by marcx666

Guest minsk owl

standing talking to the  Green'Un seller , whilst waiting for the Green'Un Van trying to get through what would eventually become a Bus Lane

In the days before the internet, the only way Wednesday fans could share their opinion on the club was via a cork noticeboard in Hillsborough Park. Due to the unreliable nature of the postal system, messages could only be sent by carrier pigeon. It seems that this, in itself, was not ideal, as messages which were critical of the club never seemed to get through. Pictured here is the gentleman (name unfortunately lost in the mists of time) who was in charge of collecting the messages and pinning them on the board - their equivalent of Neil, I suppose.

v4N0jtoh.jpg

Life before computers,hmmmmm let's see,football training Saturday morning,home for dinner and football focus then waiting for my uncle to pick me up and off to the match .

The highlight of the day was to check teletext and the club call page to see bizarre cryptic messages about international superstars about to join Wednesday.

Hmmmmm happy days.

TBF, both club call and teletext gave us more info than the current PR department have, and that in a 24 hour a day news generation..

I think I broke the 'hold' button on our remote from thinking pressing hold and then pressing it again would make the page load faster. Also did anybody play that game on channel 4's teletext (?) bamboozler. I used to roam between the footy pages and that. Quality stuff.

Also. Fanzines! They were the breeding ground for today's modern Owlstalker, I always remember some guy called w.m Lee or some such name. He was a right flouncer. lol

Am I right in remembering that they didn't even used to bother showing the league tables on Teletext until about 7 or 8 games into the season because they were so meaningless that early on?

Bit different these days, managers get hired and fired quicker than that!

I think I broke the 'hold' button on our remote from thinking pressing hold and then pressing it again would make the page load faster. Also did anybody play that game on channel 4's teletext (?) bamboozler. I used to roam between the footy pages and that. Quality stuff.

Yep did that, was Beehive bedlam on C4 too or SKY ?

Am I right in remembering that they didn't even used to bother showing the league tables on Teletext until about 7 or 8 games into the season because they were so meaningless that early on?

Bit different these days, managers get hired and fired quicker than that!

I seem to recall 3 or 4 games in they would appear. I remember waiting patiently for them when we were top of the Prem that time under Pleat after 4 or 5 games.

Yep did that, was Beehive bedlam on C4 too or SKY ?

SKY I think. Can't remember that one on tbh.