Life B.C. (Before Computers)

In the days before the internet, the only way Wednesday fans could share their opinion on the club was via a cork noticeboard in Hillsborough Park. Due to the unreliable nature of the postal system, messages could only be sent by carrier pigeon. It seems that this, in itself, was not ideal, as messages which were critical of the club never seemed to get through. Pictured here is the gentleman (name unfortunately lost in the mists of time) who was in charge of collecting the messages and pinning them on the board - their equivalent of Neil, I suppose.

v4N0jtoh.jpg

lol

I wonder what all these armchair critics, amateur managers, whingers, moaners and groaners would have done to pass away the hours in the dark ages - 30 years BC- when there were no forums to air their grievances on, no Radio Sheffield to keep them informed, and no news about the club from May to August except the weekly ramblings of the Green 'Un.

The mind boggles when trying to imagine how they would have passed the time.

I can tell you exactly what I did.

After the match I'd see my mates in the pub. We would analyse the game over several pints and a couple of bags of Kershaws. We'd decide why we won or lost, what was wrong/right with the tactics. Which players had a good game and who shouldn't be allowed to wear the shirt again.

At some stage we would take the p*ss out of any United fans if they had lost, or they would take the p*ss out of us if the boot was on the other foot.

After a visit to A & E to have the battle damage repaired we would turn in to work on monday morning and do exactly the same thing with our workmates, only without the booze.

About 2 days before the next match we would start thinking about the next match rather than the last one. Excitement wwould build and the optimists would be sure of a win and the pessimists would be concerned we were going to get hammered.

Nothing changes really. It's just that we use Owlstalk as well as the pub and work. We now live in a multimedia world but we are all doing the same stuff as we used to. We've just got more "mates" now. Mind you some of them are idiots because they don't agree with me.

Ah the summer of ´93. I was brilliant at Bamboozler. You could gauge whether you´d got the right answer by the time it took to change pages. Then change it to the right one.

1515514966_139a84debb.jpg

Sounds like you were an armature. All you had to do was flick through all four buttons really quickly. Three had the same page result come up in the top left hand corner and the fourth, the right one, had a different page number. Simply click through the buttons quickly and finish on the one that had the different page number.

Sounds like you were an armature. All you had to do was flick through all four buttons really quickly. Three had the same page result come up in the top left hand corner and the fourth, the right one, had a different page number. Simply click through the buttons quickly and finish on the one that had the different page number.

Ah yes that was it!

Good times.

:picnic:

It's a new age when communicating with the fans is now very easy. Given that, we should be told something every now and again. It's not happening.

Il think about buying a season ticket, but Mr Chansiri needs to give me a reason to do that. So far, my money is nowhere near leaving my pocket

standing talking to the Green'Un seller , whilst waiting for the Green'Un Van trying to get through what would eventually become a Bus Lane

As a bairn in the 70's, often went to a caravan park in Chapel St Leonards on holiday in August, if the season had started, the Star/Telegraph went to the bother of sending a van to the East coast laden with Green 'uns which would arrive around 10pm and someone would sell them in the on-site club.

in the mid 80's started going on Winter holidays and would take a SW radio to listen to the football commentry and results on the World service on a Saturday afternoon, used to be a cow keeping it tuned in as the reception would often drift, then had to wait until Monday for the tables and reports as the papers always used to be a day behind.

To an old git like me, it still seems like witchcraft that you now can sit in the foyer of a hotel in Mexico on a Saturday morning and watch real time football scores from England rolling on your i-pad.

Guest Theboylangers

lol yeah that was him!

He was ahead of his time that bloke!

To be fair, he spoke sense sometimes. It just got lost in all the whinging.

I'm sure I've seen him post on here or on Owlsonline, although it was a while ago..

I bet you can't guess what his username was....

WM LEE of WORCESTER!

I remember having my League Ladders from Shoot! all ready to go, waiting for the first tables to be published.

lol

Used to love the tiny kits they did.

I remember having a lottery thing with the numbered balls and using it to make fa cup draws.

Am I right in remembering that they didn't even used to bother showing the league tables on Teletext until about 7 or 8 games into the season because they were so meaningless that early on?

Bit different these days, managers get hired and fired quicker than that!

I have already seen a league table for next season. We are 23rd. Havent conceded any goals yet tho and leagues joint highest scorers.

Guest Distraught!

To be fair, he spoke sense sometimes. It just got lost in all the whinging.

I'm sure I've seen him post on here or on Owlsonline, although it was a while ago..

I bet you can't guess what his username was....

WM LEE of WORCESTER!

He didn't like Brian Laws.

I remember he went on for weeks about how he confronted Laws at Bristol City.

I guess he thinks that by finishing all his articles in fanzines and all the posts online with W.M.Lee of Worcester gave added importance to what he has written like he's a famous writer or summat.

lol

Guest Theboylangers

Famous in his own mind.

I might start signing off all my posts with S.W.Langley of Sheffield!

School pal of mine went to work in the Phillipines in later life. His work took him to very rural parts on weekends but a regular enough itinerary.The BBC World Service  only announced the results once at newstime. His arrival time in a particular village  meant he missed them consistently. He wrote to BBC explaining his devotion to the Wednesday and how frustrated he was at missing results. Well, the Beeb to their credit announced the results Twice over the  broadcast .Pal chuffed . Mode of transport  motor bike.1970's.

Yeah definately Shoot!! Used to use them for about 3 weeks then couldnt be arsed... :biggrin: ...good for Subbuteo leagues tho!

Match did them as well, I swear. Im gonna have to go through all my old Match mags to prove to myself Im not going senile now  :duntmatter:

Great thread! Bit of light relief from all the tedium about CC / Cooper & our (lack of) signings...

The league ladders were definitely in Match cos I had them too! (Must've been in both!). The talk about fanzines & the contributions of WM Lee made me go and rummage for this old beauty... (Hope pic works, doing it on phone!). Used to buy them all the time, great read!

Inside, there is a 3-page WM Lee rant entitled 'Atkinson's Return - The Death of Integrity'. I'd photo & post the whole thing but not sure anyone could be bothered to read it. Here are some choice quotes:

- The man is completely without moral fibre.

- The recruitment of Ron Atkinson is just that, a tasteless and unamusing joke which has fallen horribly flat

He also compared Big Ron to a psychopath, Judas, the devil & Hitler. He even belittled his success the first time round (saying any success was down to Trevor Francis!) and said he hoped he didn't get any money to spend because he didn't fancy a A to Z of his worst signings, such as Roland Nilsson & Carlton Palmer (amongst other Villa / Coventry players).

Wow!

post-348-0-60865400-1434735451_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gorny

Also. Fanzines! They were the breeding ground for today's modern Owlstalker, I always remember some guy called w.m Lee or some such name. He was a right flouncer. lol

It was his name used to write in spitting feathers.I remember as him and my dad aka little owl used to argue with each other in it! I've still got some just another Wednesday fanzines if anyone remembers them.

I remember ceefax and teletext and the year the main headline was 'Owls Swoop For Red Star Duo for £5m' (or something close)....I was bloody wetting meself!

Shame Stefanovic and Kovacevic were poo for us (but went on for great careers elsewhere).

Edited by SuperKevin

I remember ceefax and teletext and the year the main headline was 'Owls Swoop For Red Star Duo for £5m' (or something close)....I was bloody wetting meself!

Shame Stefanovic and Kovacevic were poo for us (but went on for great careers elsewhere).

and went on for much greater fees.