How Common Is It To Support More Than One Team?

My team is Sheffield Wednesday.

No other team causes me, to lose sleep, disrupt my life and my family, makes me cry, gets me angry, makes me very proud, reminds me of home, defend them against overwhelming odds, utter astonishment, pay ridiculous amounts of money to watch them, sicken me to the pit of my stomach, belt out songs in public places, provided some great memories and stories, mix with nobbers on here, admire the things fellow supporters do for the club for nowt, intense disappointment, table gaze for hours, affect my education by bunking off school for night matches away, make me laugh until it hurts blah, blah.....

When the match on Boxing Day is more important that Christmas Day, you know you have a problem.

Its a lifestyle and I am very proud that my Dad and his Dad and his Dad passed that down to me and that my young kids also 'get it'....

Only one other team has managed to provide even a dose of some of the above -

...dem Blades.

Before saying anything else I got to say that I'm Wednesday through and through - always have been and always will be, nothing else can ever come close. However, I was born near Bradford and spent my young days watching Bradford Park Avenue (Kevin Hector, Kenny Hibbett era) as I couldn't get to Hillsborough very often but was still a distraught 12 year old when Avenue went out of the league. I've also lived in Norwich for 3 years and now spent 30 years living in the West Country and have watched both Bristol Clubs many times - consequently I have a soft spot for Norwich and Bristol City and Rovers - and even Bradford City who were my arch enemies as a primary school kid. But even though I'd like all these others to do well I'm really not that bothered at the end of the day whether they win or lose - but if Wednesday lose I'm as sick as a dog and it pretty much puts the dampers on my whole weekend. I still travel home and away when I can and Wednesday are the only team I could ever really care about.

Guest Grez Bez

Its VERY common outside of cities and towns with no premier league club

I've various towns and nearly everyone has a 'premier league' club. Not as prominent in Sheffield as both clubs could in theory sustain top level football

You can only really support one club. That commitment is a full time job. To have a bit of a fondness for other clubs is ok in my books. I like a number of other clubs mainly because I find the majority of their fans proper fans and ok to get on with. The clubs that fit this are West Brom, West Ham, Wycombe and Rangers. Do I support these clubs, well no, supporting a team is going to games, feeling the emotion win or lose and always sticking up for them whatever the circumstances.

My team is Sheffield Wednesday.

No other team causes me, to lose sleep, disrupt my life and my family, makes me cry, gets me angry, makes me very proud, reminds me of home, defend them against overwhelming odds, utter astonishment, pay ridiculous amounts of money to watch them, sicken me to the pit of my stomach, belt out songs in public places, provided some great memories and stories, mix with nobbers on here, admire the things fellow supporters do for the club for nowt, intense disappointment, table gaze for hours, affect my education by bunking off school for night matches away, make me laugh until it hurts blah, blah.....

When the match on Boxing Day is more important that Christmas Day, you know you have a problem.

Its a lifestyle and I am very proud that my Dad and his Dad and his Dad passed that down to me and that my young kids also 'get it'....

Only one other team has managed to provide even a dose of some of the above -

...dem Blades.

This really sums it up

I could never be a fan of a 2nd club

Would never go to a match if Wednesday aren't playing

Been offered tons of freebies at old Trafford but refused them

Went to Barcelona with lads and loads of em went on a stadium tour

I had absolutely no interest at all so didn't bother going.

If it ain't Wednesday I ain't interested.

I think it is okay to have a local non-league side. I'd say I pretty much support Stocksbridge these days. Probably see them about 10 times a season. And when I get home and discuss the game, I've been known to refer to them as 'we'.

If the non league ever have the sense to move Saturday games to Friday nights, I'd probably see them as much as Wednesday.

If I ever moved elsewhere in the country/world then I'd probably get a season ticket at my local club though. I'm a big fan of live football full stop, always look for a game when I go away for any reason, so I'd happily watch another club if I could no longer go to Hillsborough. I can't see me going to away games like I do with Wednesday, I'd probably just find another local team who were at home.

I could never be a fan of a 2nd club

Would never go to a match if Wednesday aren't playing

Been offered tons of freebies at old Trafford but refused them

Went to Barcelona with lads and loads of em went on a stadium tour

I had absolutely no interest at all so didn't bother going.

If it ain't Wednesday I ain't interested.

Weird how I am the exact opposite. If Wednesday aren't playing, I'll take any game that is local or can afford. I've been to at least 10 neautral games this season alone.

I suppose people do it to be part of things. It's like I know plenty of people here who support Oxford, and watch them regularly, but also support Liverpool or Chelsea who they only watch on TV When all the talk is about what's happening in the Premier League, you're gonna feel left out if you only follow Oxford. This rarely happens in places like Sheffield though.

Kemar Roofe what a signing :biggrin:

Soft spot for Norwich due to historical family links and spending 3 years at UEA.

But it's a soft spot.  Nothing more than that.

Since then, I've lived and worked near numerous other teams, but none of them even register on the interest scale.

100% Wednesday.

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

I support Wednesday more than anyone else, but I would also say I support Chester. But if Wednesday win and Chester lose I am still pretty happy, if Chester win and Wednesday lose I am normally pretty annoyed/ irritable for the rest of the weekend. I also tend to 'have a team' in a lot of countries though none of them compare to Wednesday.

Wednesday first and foremost.

I do though look for Gainsborough Trinity (hometown team) and Scunthorpe United, the closest professional club to Gainsborough and the very first ground I was taken to, way back in the days of them playing at The Old Showground. I've always liked Celtic since I was a kid so want them to do well.

It's only a Wednesday win or defeat that bothers me though, I like the others to do well but I'm not fussed if they don't.

I live on the outskirts of Nottingham now but don't have any interest in the teams around here.