How Common Is It To Support More Than One Team?

Lets not get confused here.  There is a subtle difference between being a supporter of a team and being a fan of a team.

People can be a supporter of one team and a fan of another, as I believe I am.

Being a FAN of a team means, IMO, enjoying watching them on TV and being pleasantly pleased when they win. As I am when watching

Barca or Real Madrid (sometimes Man. U or Chelsea if they are playing in a European competition). But not being absolutely gutted if they

lose.

Being a true SUPPORTER means that if your team lose you don't want to talk to the wife 'till tomorrow, and if the cat comes anywhere near

you it risks getting a kicking.

Being a SUPPORTER of a team means SUPPORTING the team. This means putting money into the club, whether it is through paying to

attend  as many occasional games as you can afford, having a season ticket, buying club lottery or raffle tickets or spending money in the

club shop.

You don't SUPPORT a club by saying you are a fan.

Looking at it this way I can't believe that very many people actually SUPPORT more than one club.

I know I don't. 

The only team that has a share of my hard earned money (and I hope the wife never finds out how much) is the mighty OWLS !!!

I have a few teams I like to do well and go and see play on occasions.

Burton Albion as one of my friends is the chairman's daughter, went to the new ground when Alex Ferguson opened it and when we played them in a friendly a few years ago, also went to Old Trafford when they managed to take them to a replay. Was always given VIP treatment and met several of the players, (including Mester Clough) went on the pitch, watched a game from a box etc. its been great seeing them do so well these last few years.

Leyton Orient as until recently I lived in Leyton, went to see them play quite a few times, nice club, was really disappointed to see them go down this season.

Wycombe, not because of the final day thing, but because I lived with a Wycombe fan and went to see them play with him a few times,  (including the heartbreaking playoff final last Sunday) plus I really enjoyed our away trip there when Semedo scored. Them being part of our promotion was great as plenty on here now get behind them as well.

Thing is though, as much as I like these 3 it never takes me more than 5 minutes to get over it when they lose. Also, with them all being much smaller clubs than us it makes it easy to like them, I have absolutely no soft spot for anyone in the Championship or Prem. I'd feel like I was cheating on Wednesday if I followed a bigger team than us. I went to Old Trafford 3 times this season as a friend has a season ticket and his mate couldn't make it. I don't particularly hate Manu but I sat there wanting them to lose every time. 

You can only ever love and support one team... it's a bit like marriage. It's over fifty years of wedded bliss with the Owls, but I do have a soft spot for Plymouth Argyle and Ipswich Town... guess I must like ugly birds.

I go to the UD Lanzarote games and have a ST.

But I don't fly 4000 mile round trips half a dozen times a season to watch them.

Hoping to catch a game when I'm over there in september.

However I'm Wednesday through and through. No other club will ever make me feel as good or bad as this one.

Edited by Maddogbob

Interesting - my wife is a Man U fan. Always has been. She now has a Wednesday season ticket and would say she supports Sheffield Wednesday BUT her team is Man U. We also regularly go to watch and support Altrincham FC and have are various teams we like and dont like. I suppose the key is whilst being blue and white or a red we are both fans of football.

Lets not get confused here. There is a subtle difference between being a supporter of a team and being a fan of a team.

People can be a supporter of one team and a fan of another, as I believe I am.

Being a FAN of a team means, IMO, enjoying watching them on TV and being pleasantly pleased when they win. As I am when watching

Barca or Real Madrid (sometimes Man. U or Chelsea if they are playing in a European competition). But not being absolutely gutted if they

lose.

Being a true SUPPORTER means that if your team lose you don't want to talk to the wife 'till tomorrow, and if the cat comes anywhere near

you it risks getting a kicking.

Being a SUPPORTER of a team means SUPPORTING the team. This means putting money into the club, whether it is through paying to

attend as many occasional games as you can afford, having a season ticket, buying club lottery or raffle tickets or spending money in the

club shop.

You don't SUPPORT a club by saying you are a fan.

Looking at it this way I can't believe that very many people actually SUPPORT more than one club.

I know I don't.

The only team that has a share of my hard earned money (and I hope the wife never finds out how much) is the mighty OWLS !!!

based on your theories - of which I agree, I can comfortably say the wife supports both.

Heart of Midlothian.

First game for both clubs was in 1985/6, I've went through phases of watching both teams and seen both teams win a major trophy at the national stadium, I regularly buy shirts of both teams, and at one point a few years ago I had a season ticket at both Hillsborough and Tynecastle at the same time, but most of the time I've either had a ticket at one or the other.

I gave up my season ticket at Hillsborough last season (stopped attending midway though the previous season) and I won't be buying at Hillsborough this season either. I've deliberately not been for personal reasons but I'll attend the odd game now again this season. I've renewed at Hearts for me and my boy this season and being honest he prefers watching Hearts.

Never, ever understood the idea of supporting two teams.

I live between Hull and Bridlington and now Hull have been relegated it won't be long before many folk around here return to, "Tigers and Man United."

Some folk around here are genuinely perplexed when I say I couldn't care less how Hull have got on.

A colleague switched support from Charlton to Hull due to his kids supporting the latter and I was always impressed he was up front about it.

Mate at university was/is a Liverpool fan and he summed it up when he said, "92 league clubs. I love one do not care at all about 90 others and detest one - Man United." Pretty much exactly how I feel except it's the Pigs I loathe. The only credit I can give the Pigs is they conduct themselves exactly as a loathsome bunch of swine should.

P.S. - hypocrite alert - I do care about how North Ferriby United do as I was born in the village.

Can't be far from me . I loved them getting relegated. Only knew one guy at school that like them yet suddenly half the folks I know support them. I feel no love for the city let alone the team. Place doesn't feel part of the East Riding

Never, ever understood the idea of supporting two teams.

I live between Hull and Bridlington and now Hull have been relegated it won't be long before many folk around here return to, "Tigers and Man United."

Some folk around here are genuinely perplexed when I say I couldn't care less how Hull have got on.

A colleague switched support from Charlton to Hull due to his kids supporting the latter and I was always impressed he was up front about it.

Mate at university was/is a Liverpool fan and he summed it up when he said, "92 league clubs. I love one do not care at all about 90 others and detest one - Man United." Pretty much exactly how I feel except it's the Pigs I loathe. The only credit I can give the Pigs is they conduct themselves exactly as a loathsome bunch of swine should.

P.S. - hypocrite alert - I do care about how North Ferriby United do as I was born in the village.

Can't be far from me . I loved them getting relegated. Only knew one guy at school that like them yet suddenly half the folks I know support them. I feel no love for the city let alone the team. Place doesn't feel part of the East Riding

As well as Wednesday, I offer my support to ANY team playing the blunts and manure.

I also have a place in my heart for Wycombe, anyone who was there will know why.

Been to see Chesterfield a few times with local mates and been to Wembley for both JPT finals for a good day out on the beer

Whilst I'll clap the goals, it's nothing like following your own team. The passion is just not there

Wednesday and Real Madrid.

Wednesday will always be number 1 no matter what though.

I knew you would be all over this one! Drives me bleeding bonkers you and your Real Madrid nonsense!

YOU CANT SUPPORT TWO TEAMS!!!! YOU CAN ONLY SUPPORT ONE THEN HAVE "ALMOST LIKE A SECOND TEAM/S!"

I don't know how many times I've told you this over the years!!!! Gggrrr! Angry mad!!

I've noticed how many people are quoting European giants. I can't see the logic of following a successful team in another country when they just win all the time. Seems like glory hunting to me and will cheapen any future success we have.

If you are going to follow a second team, at least make it a smaller one who won't outshine your main team.

These are only my opinions of course. Each to their own and all that.

Like the OP, I enjoy watching my "other" teams but I can hardly claim I support them. My second team, if you like, is Porto and the reasons are that on my first visit to Portugal I swapped my Wednesday shirt for a Porto shirt with a local. I saw him wearing it on several occasions too (WAWAW :biggrin:). I have the 2013 Porto shirt too and if you think our shirt prices are expensive, I paid €85.00 (at the time nearly £70.00) for it and that was cheapest I could get it for.

I have been to Estadio do Dragao, but to watch Muse not Porto. Great stadium, great gig.

Another team I used to follow the results for is Inter Milan, again because they play in blue. I went to the San Siro in January this year to watch them play. They lost 0-1 to a 90 minute goal. The football was awful. Stadium is amazing, but less than half full.

And lastly, and this is all down to a joke, Stenhousemuir. I had to pick one of the worst teams in Scottish football, so I chose them. Never seen them play.

However, nothing can even come close to how I feel about Wednesday. I might like these other teams for various reasons but I care passionately about Wednesday. Never will there ever be another team that will even come close.