How Common Is It To Support More Than One Team?

I'm going to try and put this across in a way that doesn't offend.

If you support another team, (i.e actively go to their games, spend money on such things like shirts) then I think there's an argument you could be supporting you're main team more.

You could be simply sat at home listening to your main team or travelling to the games.

Don't think I could deal with the stress of watching another team.

There are definitely clubs I feel some kind of affection for.

They might have a player or manager I like or they might be in a bit of a tight spot (ie Portsmouth, Newcastle, etc)

But no I wouldn't say I support them. Like TheOwlsMan said, they're just passing interests.

It's interesting, perhaps support is the wrong term. In different ways, many of us contribute towards another clubs well being, even if it's just visiting their stadium with Wednesday. As others have said, it's probably the emotional involvement that defines the team that is in your soul. Only one team losing will cause you pain

It's interesting, perhaps support is the wrong term. In different ways, many of us contribute towards another clubs well being, even if it's just visiting their stadium with Wednesday. As others have said, it's probably the emotional involvement that defines the team that is in your soul. Only one team losing will cause you pain

I agree that many of us will have a fondness for certain teams, which doesn't extend to 'support'. The bloke I referred to in my OP, however, claimed to have actively supported both Bournemouth and Chelsea for decades, and was talking about the fact he was going to face the dilemma of who to support when the two teams meet next season, which is something he never thought would happen.

I'd imagine that's pretty rare?

Five Live have just had an interesting discussion about how fans came to choose their team (maybe they've been reading Owlstalk recently!?). What really stood out to me, however, was one man who claimed to have supported Bournemouth AND Chelsea equally for 50 years.

The presenter reacted with incredulity, as I'm sure did many listeners, but it got me wondering: just how rare is this? Are there any of us on here who support another team as well as Wednesday?

I was brought up in Donny in a family of Wednesdayites, so although I would sometimes go to Belle Vue and cheer them on when tickets were a couple of quid and Wednesday were away, I'd never have classed myself as a Rovers fan. Similarly, I used to get signed AC Milan memorabilia sent from a family member who had connections there. Again, although I always enjoy watching them in Europe for that reason, they were nowhere near Wednesday in my affections.

I might have enjoyed watching other teams, but I never considered myself a fan of any club other than Wednesday, and my gut instinct tells me that most fans would feel the same - but is this feeling accurate?

Do you share your support between Wednesday and another team?

If so, how did this come to be?

Hopefully we can discuss this without judgment or criticism...

I posted in other thread about a group of Brentford fans who had season tickets for them and Arsenal, also I have a mate who has claimed for 20 years to be a blunt and manure fan, although I don't think he's every seen manure live.

I agree that many of us will have a fondness for certain teams, which doesn't extend to 'support'. The bloke I referred to in my OP, however, claimed to have actively supported both Bournemouth and Chelsea for decades, and was talking about the fact he was going to face the dilemma of who to support when the two teams meet next season, which is something he never thought would happen.

I'd imagine that's pretty rare?

For most people who thought they were in this position, when this situation arises there would be no question. I'd have thought it very rare for there to be a real dilemma

Always had soft spots for other clubs like York City, Wimbledon and Rangers but would never call my self a supporter.

I'll be cheering for Villa tomorrow but I'd never support them either. 

Im a bit like this. Got a soft spot for random teams, some for no real reason, and like to see them do alright unless it impacted us or was against us.

West Brom is one of them, and thats purely cos Brunty is there! haha

Got a liking for York too cos they took me on as a youth in Be a Pro on FIFA  one year and I banged in like 30 goals in my first season and they loved me!

Guest Distraught!

I lived in Hereford for a few years between 1988 and 1991. During this time, I supported both clubs.

Hereford is still a club I think a lot of and always follow news connected with them.

Stanty and Hirsty - dual kings (Stant the David Hirst of Division Four  :biggrin: ).

This living away thing...

I now live on the North West coast with clubs such as Blackpool, Preston, Blackburn, Wigan, Fleetwood, even AFC Fylde within easy commuting distance, yet I've never had the urge to support any of them.

Always prefer to watch The Wednesday with the extra commute when I am available to catch a game. Playing these teams away is quite handy for me too.

Blackpool is the most local club to me, and I know people who have moved here and become season ticket holders, but it's just not for me. Most Blackpool fans become Man Utd fans as soon as Blackpool start faltering anyhow.

If Wednesday disappeared off the face of the Earth, I wouldn't get another team. That'd be it for me.

Guest Distraught!

This living away thing...

Hereford was a different experience for me. I first went to watch them because I had nowt else to do and they happened to be playing. The supporters were something else. They were easy to get on with. So it was easy to mix in with them.

The club also had a small supporters and social club at the corner of the ground.

The supporters and players socialized and drank together. The epitomy of a family club and a completely different experience.

You could be watching Stanty score a couple of goals in the afternoon and then sitting drinking with him during the evening.

I still found time to travel to see Wednesday a lot in that period. It was of course convenient to see them in away games around Birmingham and the South West. I also travelled home regularly and watched a number of games at Hillsborough. When it wasn't convenient to travel, I went to matches with Hereford.

Don't support them but I have a soft spot for Wealdstone. Started with the raider, but then I subscribed to their YouTube channel and watch their highlights. They have some amazing fans, better than a lot of league clubs, they don't stop singing for the most part and have some of the best away fans in the non-league. Always keep an ey on how their doing

Only support Wednesday, but I have mates who are Palace and Fulham fans, and I live down here, so I see as much of them as of Wednesday. And my local team is Arsenal (as in, I can smell the burgers on matchdays, and I can hear the crowd when a goal goes in) so I'm more pro Arse than the other big 4-6 teams.

If Wednesday disappeared off the face of the Earth, I wouldn't get another team. That'd be it for me.

God forbid such a thing should ever happen, but it's an interesting hypothetical situation to ponder.

It's impossible to know what you'd really do until faced with the situation, but I honestly can't imagine ever following another team in the way I do Wednesday. I'd probably just go to random games of various teams within driving distance as and when I felt like it, though I imagine it would feel pretty soulless.

The desire to 'belong' to a club might be overwhelming at some point, though it would never feel the same, would it?