Happy 80th Big Jack

Happy birthday Jack, had the pleasure of meeting him and shaking his hand at the Boxing Day Reunion had tear in my eye what a fantastic bloke. We think it's been crap the last fifteen years or so but it was nothing compared to pre Jack. Can still picture him sat in the North Stand considering whether to take the job, fortunately the fans convinced him to.

Sorry not very good quality - refections but he didn't look that impressed ! lol ! It must have been the fans that swayed him :-)

file-132.jpg

Proper football man (dirty player for Leeds though) and exceptional manager.   Straight talking ordinary bloke with a World Cup winners medal.  He once asked Alf Ramsey why he was in the England team when he wasn't the best centre half in England.Nice humility there (he knew Brian Labone was better). Alf replied that he picked the best man for the job, not necessarily the best footballer.  I think he learnt a lot from Sir Alf and knew how to get the best from players.  I last met him at the Newcastle Boxing Day game when he signed my England photo already signed by Ramsey, Moore, brother Bobby, and Nobby Stiles. Happy 80th Jack.

Happy Birthday Big Man 

I had the privilege of meeting him once . I used to booze in the Shoulder Of Mutton in Worral ,and Tony Toms lived up there and also drank in there ,and one night Tony came in ( as he did most nights  )  and who trotted in behind him but Big Jack , flat cap and Barbour and all . 

I ended up having a drink with them as Tony was a regular ,so i knew him to speak to ,and Jack was the most down to earth , friendly , funny bloke you could ever meet. 

Took us as far as he could he said so walked away...this tells you what sort of man he is.didnt hang around to be sacked and take the money.

Met him at a ground open day(can't remember the year) remember being invited into his office with about 10 others just felt in ore of the great man,World Cup winner and turning my team around.

So friendly and a true wednesday legend...Happy Birthday Big Jack

Cheers, sounds like a true legend.

i have a top bracket of wednesday managers bob brown , catterick ,atkinson ,wilkinson and big jack .......obviously wasnt around in browns day but jacks the top dog for me , this club was dead on its feet when he arrived and how he turned it round  was amazing ..........took him 3 years though and not once was anyone calling for him to be sacked ,i doubt he´d get that long these days .

Happy birthday Jack, had the pleasure of meeting him and shaking his hand at the Boxing Day Reunion had tear in my eye what a fantastic bloke. We think it's been crap the last fifteen years or so but it was nothing compared to pre Jack. Can still picture him sat in the North Stand considering whether to take the job, fortunately the fans convinced him to.

I also had the privilege of meeting him. He was speaking at a Sportsman Dinner in the North East. Naturally I went to get his autograph after the event and thanked him for his time at S6. He looked me in the eye and said 'aye, they were good days, they were'.....and he really seemed to mean it. Like Bpmber, it brought a tear to my eye

Happy Birthday Big Jack!

Met him a couple of times around the ground, always polite and friendly.

Will never forget that evening in '77 after the Chesterfield game when they announced on the radio he'd become the new manager. Knew from that moment we were on the way back. Think we all did.

A great man and a great servant, not just to us but to football.

Edited by Utah Owl

That was against Chesterfield, old third division, lower end of the table and there were 17,000 there. Big Jack said something like 'if 17,000 will show up to watch this, imagine how many would come and watch

something decent', and he took the job. And gave us something more than decent to watch! Thank you and happy birthday Big Jack.

Guest everydays_wednesday

My happiest days as a wednesdayite without any shadow of a doubt. An honest and good man who connected with the fans and the fans idolised him.

My favourite Jack story is actually when he was manager of the Republic which I think summed him up........

The Republic were about to play a game in the World Cup and Jack picked Niall Quinn and Niall said "but gaffer my toe is injured and I can't kick the ball".......Jack looked at him and said...."when have I ever asked you to kick the ball" !

A great man.....happy birthday Jack.

Remember him doing a fishing series. Was great on fly fishing but out of his depth with coarse fishing.

Did an episode with Dennis White of Barnsley Blacks fame. Fishing for skimmers at what might have been Worsborough reservoir. Big Jack looked completely bemused at what was going on.

Anyone remember him doing a football coaching programme on tv,Saturday or Sunday morning?

Yes. Famous clip of him being hit by a ball in the nuts. IIRC, a young gazza was on that show.

Great man and great times and I feel privileged to have met the man and witness the restoration of dignity and more to SWFC and its supporters.

I seem to recall he wasn't very well in the recent past, anyone know how he is these days?

Would be nice for us stalkers, through Neil maybe on our behalf, to wish him a happy birthday and to let him know just how fondly remembered he still is here?

Last game of the promotion season 1980. Was it Carlisle we played and drew 0-0?

Anyway we ran on the pitch at full time and clambered up the seats in the south stand.

The great man came out with a massive smile on his face and shouted the words 'your the best fans in the world'.

Great memories