The Uncovered Kop - look at this!

5 hours ago, sexpistol said:

I’ve not read all the replies, but I think it’s the FA cup QF game against Southampton in 1984

I agree it was this game. 43,000 in the ground on a Sunday afternoon even though it was live on TV. 
The FA Cup was still a massive draw back then. It was our  promotion season as well so the mood around the club was extremely positive.

A5E0EF4E-960A-4ED0-9EBE-9AC8521CC4E1.jpeg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, oldowl67 said:

I agree it was this game. 43,000 in the ground on a Sunday afternoon even though it was live on TV. 
The FA Cup was still a massive draw back then. It was our  promotion season as well so the mood around the club was extremely positive.

A5E0EF4E-960A-4ED0-9EBE-9AC8521CC4E1.jpeg

Proves you can go on  good cup run and get promotion as well.

1 hour ago, sexpistol said:

Wasn’t it 5-1? And we took the lead very early and despite the scoreline we were the better team for large parts of the match. That Southampton team finished runners up in the old league 1 that season just 3 points behind Liverpool.

Seems you’re right.

I just recall us playing quite well against higher level opponents but failing to clinical finishing. Stats might well have shown us have more possession, more attempts but we were comprehensively beaten. It was a long drive home as well.

1 hour ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Proves you can go on  good cup run and get promotion as well.

This, we got to the quarter final in the League Cup as well, losing to Liverpool after a replay. The original match at Hillsborough was one of the epic night games. We could (probably should) have beaten the best team in Europe that night

3 hours ago, sexpistol said:

Wasn’t it 5-1? And we took the lead very early and despite the scoreline we were the better team for large parts of the match. That Southampton team finished runners up in the old league 1 that season just 3 points behind Liverpool.

yeah that's correct. We conceded 2 just before half time, one of which was an  own goal

23 minutes ago, Bramhall Owl said:

This, we got to the quarter final in the League Cup as well, losing to Liverpool after a replay. The original match at Hillsborough was one of the epic night games. We could (probably should) have beaten the best team in Europe that night

Bigger crowd than boxing day and only at most 4000 from Liverpool there

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mildatheart67 said:

Bigger crowd than boxing day and only at most 4000 from Liverpool there

Liverpool we’re given 4,000 tickets which is staggering really as im sure they would have filled the away end. I know there was Liverpool fans in the home ends though.

When I was a youngun on the Kop and it was a big game we'd make sure we were just in front of a barrier so no danger of getting squashed - got a bit older and used to love a good surge... you'd all end up yards away from where you started then all gradually get back to where you were all stood. In the crap years with poor crowds we just used to sit down on the steps to pass the time!! 😄 Everyone had a "usual place" or barrier on there where they'd all meet up... Really miss that! 

14 minutes ago, Prendo's boots said:

When I was a youngun on the Kop and it was a big game we'd make sure we were just in front of a barrier so no danger of getting squashed - got a bit older and used to love a good surge... you'd all end up yards away from where you started then all gradually get back to where you were all stood. In the crap years with poor crowds we just used to sit down on the steps to pass the time!! 😄 Everyone had a "usual place" or barrier on there where they'd all meet up... Really miss that! 

We always stood in front of flat cap who spent all his time moaning loudly how bad the game was, getting redder in the face by the minute but he was always there come rain or shine.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Prendo's boots said:

Me and  my mates usually used to go about 20 yards below the highest point.

In the dark days of sub 10K crowds, remember watching the game many a time sat on the steps it was that sparse.

• Like 1