The Uncovered Kop - look at this!

When the Kop was full it was brilliant when there were surges.  You would get pushed yards away from where you started from. Shame the young un's wont experience it.

Would you want your kids experiencing it?   

I've been going since the 50's and been in 65,000 Hillsboro crowds.  Can't remember enjoying getting crushed.  You couldn't concentrate on the game..... or move your arms.

Stood on here from the mid 60's to late 70's Many happy memories, Saw Pele from the kop when we played Santos? took 10 mins to get into a position we could see it was so packed. Got a season ticket in North stand after that, not same though.

Just looking for pictures of the Kop to add to the discussion in another thread and I came across this beauty of a picture. 

Wow! Look at that! I went on the "old" Kop when is was packed out back then but never realised that it looked so impressive when full. 

That is the 6th round cup tie against Southampton in March of '84. I took the picture (plus a couple of others) on my old Pentax. That particular moment is just as the teams came out and the Kop went mad. Normally I would have been in the middle of them but I particularly wanted to go on the North that day to get the pictures!

If you like I have a couple of other pictures from that day that I can post. One of the Kop a minute or so earlier (much more sedate) and one looking straight at the South as the players came out.

Game was televised and was a boring 0-0 draw. We got stuffed 5-1 in the replay even though we took the game to them most of the time. They just kept hitting us with deadly counter attacks.

Attendance was 43,000+

Edited by Utah Owl
  • Like 6

That is the 6th round cup tie against Southampton in March of '84. I took the picture (plus a couple of others) on my old Pentax. That particular moment is just as the teams came out and the Kop went mad. Normally I would have been in the middle of them but I particularly wanted to go on the North that day to get the pictures!

In that case, I'm definitely on that picture. I've just got to try and pick myself out now. :biggrin:

In that case, I'm definitely on that picture. I've just got to try and pick myself out now. :biggrin:

I used good quality Fuji film so you should manage it!  lol

If you like I have a couple of other pictures from that day that I can post. One of the Kop a minute or so earlier (much more sedate) and one looking straight at the South as the players came out.

Game was televised and was a boring 0-0 draw. We got stuffed 5-1 in the replay even though we took the game to them most of the time. They just kept hitting us with deadly counter attacks.

Attendance was 43,000+

Well done Utah!  If I had a "+10,000" button then I would press it for you!  That is a fantastic photo!!!

I'd feel confident in saying that's between early to mid 80's

;)

Attendance was 43,000+

Game was on a Sunday if i remember rightly?

Not many teams would get 43,000 in the FA cup 5th round live on telly nowadays and they certainly didnt in the 80s

;)

Not many teams would get 43,000 in the FA cup 5th round live on telly nowadays and they certainly didnt in the 80s

And yet some people think hillsborough will be too big for us in the modern premier league with only a 39K capacity lol

I'm in that picture somewhere. What I always think about when I see pictures like that is imagine what an away player thought when he ran out of the tunnell and looked to his right and his only thought could be WTF!. That would be just before his sphincter tightened like a drum

Got it. :rolleyes:

attachicon.gifKop.jpg

You stood just behind me :)

Were you the one with the Bovril and cigar?

Well done Utah!  If I had a "+10,000" button then I would press it for you!  That is a fantastic photo!!!

Agree.

And yet some people think hillsborough will be too big for us in the modern premier league with only a 39K capacity lol

Correct, i seriously think some people will be surprised at our crowds as soon as we return to the prem.

• Like 1

;)

It was a Sunday, but it was 6th Round not 5th!

Got it. :rolleyes:

attachicon.gifKop.jpg

Ha ha, brilliant!

The crowd on the kop that day was more that the capacity of some grounds around in those days and these for that matter

Still wasn't our biggest crowd of the season. That came a few weeks earlier v Liverpool in the quarters of the League cup. 49.5k for that one on a freezing cold January night, and I was in the middle of the Kop for that one!

Edited by Utah Owl