The Uncovered Kop - look at this!

If I remember rightly this was the highest crowd for a live televised game at the time

Hardly surprising, we've always been massive (even when we weren't)!  :biggrin:

Against Man Ure when they went 10 games unbeaten from the start of the season with Big Ron in charge?  We were the first team to beat them?

Thats what i was thinking 

I was in amongst that lot if it was tho i was towards the North East Corner

That is the 6th round cup tie against Southampton in March of '84. I took the picture (plus a couple of others) on my old Pentax. That particular moment is just as the teams came out and the Kop went mad. Normally I would have been in the middle of them but I particularly wanted to go on the North that day to get the pictures!

If you like I have a couple of other pictures from that day that I can post. One of the Kop a minute or so earlier (much more sedate) and one looking straight at the South as the players came out.

Game was televised and was a boring 0-0 draw. We got stuffed 5-1 in the replay even though we took the game to them most of the time. They just kept hitting us with deadly counter attacks.

Attendance was 43,000+

Put em on then Utah WTF:

Put em on then Utah WTF:

Will do over next day or so.

Thats what i was thinking 

I was in amongst that lot if it was tho i was towards the North East Corner

Bloody hell Mick didn't you read the rest of the thread!

So'ton in the cup. March 84.

Edited by Utah Owl

Went on here from around 1966 to 1976, then moved to the North for a better atmosphere. Always looked a lot better than what it sounded. As shandy has already said best thing to happen to the Kop was the roof not only increasing the capacity but amplifying the sound and for 7 years from 86 to 93 we probably had one of the best atmospheric standing ends in the country . It was all ruined again when they put the seats in. 

Edited by Soul Power
  • Like 1

Just looking for pictures of the Kop to add to the discussion in another thread and I came across this beauty of a picture.

Wow! Look at that! I went on the "old" Kop when is was packed out back then but never realised that it looked so impressive when full.

Check out the giant man near the middle front in a grey jumper carrying a yacht, looks weird!

It was 1-1 with Lawrenson that scored scoring for them. Over 48000 were there. Quiz question for our anoraks is who scored for us?

http://www.11v11.com/matches/sheffield-wednesday-v-liverpool-02-february-1985-87446/

One of the few times I went in the West stand! We wiz robbed (again)!

That is the 6th round cup tie against Southampton in March of '84. I took the picture (plus a couple of others) on my old Pentax. That particular moment is just as the teams came out and the Kop went mad. Normally I would have been in the middle of them but I particularly wanted to go on the North that day to get the pictures!

If you like I have a couple of other pictures from that day that I can post. One of the Kop a minute or so earlier (much more sedate) and one looking straight at the South as the players came out.

Game was televised and was a boring 0-0 draw. We got stuffed 5-1 in the replay even though we took the game to them most of the time. They just kept hitting us with deadly counter attacks.

Attendance was 43,000+

Give your +1's to Utah not me please. I only found the photo on the internet but Utah took it. He deserves the credit.

we did get large crowds against the liverpools, Arsenals and Man Us of this world, and in the latter stages of the cup, when it meant something to people then. However, on most every other saturdays we struggled to get what we get now in the championship.

Guest minsk owl

What happened if it rained? Where did people go?

the rain in the 70's was nowhere near as bad as it is these days ,  we used to get soaked, .....instead of pi$$ed wet through 

And yet some people think hillsborough will be too big for us in the modern premier league with only a 39K capacity lol

Not saying we couldn't consistently attract those kind of attendances but Surely ticket prices were more affordable in comparison to now?