The Uncovered Kop - look at this!

The thing I remember most about the Kop was the crush barriers. As a youngster I once got caught behind one when the crowd behind me surged.

I can easily understand how people died in the Hillsborough disaster.

I had all the breath crushed out of me and a few broken ribs. It was over in a few seconds but was terrifying.

• Like 3

Just looking for pictures of the Kop to add to the discussion in another thread and I came across this beauty of a picture. 

Wow! Look at that! I went on the "old" Kop when is was packed out back then but never realised that it looked so impressive when full. 

I should also point out that I've been on the old Kop on cold January nights huddled up with other Wednesdayites whilst being snowed and rained on.  I'd argue against the seats but, IMHO, the roof is the best thing that has ever happened to the Kop. 

Edited by shandypants
  • Like 7

Do you know which year Shandy?

I'd feel confident in saying that's between early to mid 80's

I alwayd stood halfway up Kop bang in line with the goal and just above that central walkway when i was a nipper.

Was the only way i could see above the bleeders in front cos i was a short arse.

In the 80s when Liverpool were in town one of my mates wanted to go with another mate to the game but his father wouldnt let him go as they were young and because there was going to be a big crowd. The lads father was working that afternoon so the two mates thought that they could go to the game watch it and get back home and his father wouldn't be any the wiser. Anyway that night it was one of the featured games on Match of the Day and my mate sat smugly with his dad watching it with his dad non the wiser of what he had done. Unfortunately to his horror as Motty was doing his introduction to the game the camera panned in from the backdrop of Sheffield to the back of the Kop and there stood on the railings on full view were my two mates. His dad saw the funny side of it eventually but after he had given him a severe bollocking.

• Haha 2

I'd feel confident in saying that's between early to mid 80's

I alwayd stood halfway up Kop bang in line with the goal and just above that central walkway when i was a nipper.

Was the only way i could see above the bleeders in front cos i was a short arse.

Cheers.

In the 80s when Liverpool were in town one of my mates wanted to go with another mate to the game but his father wouldnt let him go as they were young and because there was going to be a big crowd. The lads father was working that afternoon so the two mates thought that they could go to the game watch it and get back home and his father wouldn't be any the wiser. Anyway that night it was one of the featured games on Match of the Day and my mate sat smugly with his dad watching it with his dad non the wiser of what he had done. Unfortunately to his horror as Motty was doing his introduction to the game the camera panned in from the backdrop of Sheffield to the back of the Kop and there stood on the railings on full view were my two mates. His dad saw the funny side of it eventually but after he had given him a severe bollocking.

Did Rush score at the lop end? Think it was either 1-1 or 1-0 to them

Guest mrbluesky

Just looking for pictures of the Kop to add to the discussion in another thread and I came across this beauty of a picture. 

Wow! Look at that! I went on the "old" Kop when is was packed out back then but never realised that it looked so impressive when full. 

My memories...

Dad sat me on the ledge near North, used to stand there until about 14

Stood right at the back with mates until 17-18

My posistion from then on was bang in the middle, it wasn`t just when you scored did they surge but every time there was a shot corner or any other half chance!!, as said above with regards to the barriers when you got pushed into them you just held on until the surge went back!! but to be honest I never felt my life was in danger but then again I was young.

Always remember steering clear of the steps down the Kop because if we scored it was nailed on you were going down them!!! :biggrin:

The thing I remember most about the Kop was the crush barriers. As a youngster I once got caught behind one when the crowd behind me surged.

I can easily understand how people died in the Hillsborough disaster.

I had all the breath crushed out of me and a few broken ribs. It was over in a few seconds but was terrifying.

When the Kop was full it was brilliant when there were surges.  You would get pushed yards away from where you started from. Shame the young un's wont experience it.