Chris Powell's last trip to S6

I'm going to go against the grain here and declare Mr Powell to be a frightfully good egg. I can't fail to notice that some of the rather malicious comments on here appear to be borne out of sheer frustration at seeing their sports team lose. A sad state of affairs

And was that his brother Daryll who used to captain us? They were both born in Lambeth, London I believe and seem to share the same tone of skin.

Opposing manager celebrates after his club go through in a FA cup game.Fail to see the problem here?

Think it was the manner of the celebration that irked many

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Don't mind Powell myself. He is very honest in most of his interviews, especially the Maguire incident at their place. We do owe them one though!!

He isn't a patchon that Mr Blobby manager who was on the pitch last week!

Don't mind Powell, he did superbly to get Charlton promoted and had the rug pulled from under him finance wise.

Not overly arsed about the celebrations, people moan about people in football having no personality, and then moan if they show any emotion.

Don't mind Powell, he did superbly to get Charlton promoted and had the rug pulled from under him finance wise.

Not overly arsed about the celebrations, people moan about people in football having no personality, and then moan if they show any emotion.

this. Was a good solid pro and seems a decent bloke and manager.

nah! show some fackin' class insted, and he's got none, and neither have his sides...

very poor mans interpretation of revie's l**ds...

How bad were we though?

I felt like we had lost to the blunts with how much abuse I got for it. You could literally see the pressure getting to the players and from the first minute, you just knew it wasn't going to be our day.

Then Charlton went to the sty and were awful. typical.

At least he celebrated on the final whistle and didn't run on the pitch in the 87th minute doing the Mourinho.... :picnic:

he won the black coach of the year last month!

i mean ........FFS is he real. bangs on about the race card too many white managers etc etc, then accepts an award that Morinho, Wenger, Rodgers etc etc CANT WIN - due to their race! think about that for a second...  IMO he should have turned down the award as it makes him look a reyt hypocritical racist twohat.

swing on our crossbar again an ill egg him....im bad like that!

I am not a "holier than thou politically correctness merchant" but I can't really subscribe to your point of view here. The argument generally is that there should be more black managers in the game given the proportion of black professional football players and the fact that more than the vast majority of managers are ex-professional football players. I can't admit to knowing about it but I suspect that the Black Manager award is more symbolic and is awarded to bring attention to the disparity of race in Football Management - this can only ever be a good thing IMHO.

Read up on The Rooney Rule (I think that's what its called). It states something like "the proportion of black candidates invited to management job interviews must reflect the proportion of black people in that industry" or something similar. Black players aren't asking to be given the manager's job but a realistic chance to get it.

Also, I would ask you to research what racism is - or at least look up the definition. Accepting the Black Manager of the Year Award doesn't make you racist. The real irony here is that there are so few black managers in professional football that the Black Manager of the Year Award has been awarded to a really poor manager - that in itself, is a real argument to increase the proportion of non-white managers.

Edited by shandypants

I simply don't believe that clubs refuse to employ a manager because of the colour of his skin.

No one has ever said that.

But people scared by any sort of equality legislation spout it.

Pathetic really.

I am not a "holier than thou politically correctness merchant" but I can't really subscribe to your point of view here. The argument generally is that there should be more black managers in the game given the proportion of black professional football players and the fact that more than the vast majority of managers are ex-professional football players. I can't admit to knowing about it but I suspect that the Black Manager award is more symbolic and is awarded to bring attention to the disparity of race in Football Management - this can only ever be a good thing IMHO.

Read up on The Rooney Rule (I think that's what its called). It states something like "the proportion of black candidates invited to management job interviews must reflect the proportion of black people in that industry" or something similar. Black players aren't asking to be given the manager's job but a realistic chance to get it.

Also, I would ask you to research what racism is - or at least look up the definition. Accepting the Black Manager of the Year Award doesn't make you racist. The real irony here is that there are so few black managers in professional football that the Black Manager of the Year Award has been awarded to a really poor manager - that in itself, is a real argument to increase the proportion of non-white managers.

Good post

nah! show some fackin' class insted, and he's got none, and neither have his sides...

very poor mans interpretation of revie's l**ds...

Just comes across as sour grapes. Had megson done that against Charlton when we played them, it'd have had people creaming themselves.

Can't really get on board with the view he's crap. Charlton under him were pretty decent, until the owner stopped funding the wages and they downsized. Not sure what else he can do with a very poor Huddersfield side.

Could laugh at people saying CP is a bad manager, I think it's a bit of sour grapes because of the cup game and the cross bar incident, lets not forget he brought Charlton up with a team full of strangers and won the title then in his first season in this league they finished 9th, lots of off the field problems hindered them and he had a big bust up with the dechelat bloke resulting in his dismissal.

Huddersfield look doomed until he came and he's managed to grind out results and climb them away from danger.

There are worse managers out there for sure.

The point being...

he is the first to moan about a lack of Black managers in the game, i aint got a problem with that, hes not the only one who has those opinions. and they are asking if its a racial thing - again, fair enough.

on that basis - if there was an award for white managers only and he along with the other 4 or 5 were excluded from it, its fair to say, based on the complaints above, that he would also have a problem with this award! meanwhile he collecting the self same thing...

its that simple really... as for assuming the award is just to highlight a lack of black managers, or being symbolic - no, its deadly serious....along with the association of black lawyers.

im all for equality, but i aint for hypocrisy.