Chris Powell's last trip to S6

on the subject of the lack of black managers in the game, is there?

i dont know the answer to this, but my thoughts (maybe flawed) have always been that its a natural thing and they are coming through in natural time and it will build up just like on the playing side.

i look at it that if you take the average age of every manager - i dont know the answer but lets take a mad guess at 50,

work out when they played - so in this case, from about 30 years ago, then look at how many black players where playing in the leagues back then........quite a few tbf, but nothing like nowadays,

add on the fact that a big percentage of these few would have never even thought of the possibility of management due to the highly racist element to our game at that time, and you have a natural figure!

would i expect this figure to raise massively over the next 20 yrs due to the amount of black players retiring from playing? hell yeah, and if we are still at just a handfull in 15 years then i reckon there is a problem from within.

but i just think, like ON the pitch, its a natural progression and will grow naturally, on ability, rather than be forced now because some geezers are saying our game is racist, 

not sure too many people from within our game will want to start an award for white managers only... & rightly so!

Edited by GY-owl.4

Nothing but bad memories when he comes to S6.

I remember watching Johnnie Jackson curl a free kick in the year we got promoted from L1 after Reda tried to spear the poor guy, we lost 1-0 and I froze my balls off.

Then last year when we lost in the cup, I still sware to this day Damien Martinez cost us that game, he was AWFUL, so were a few others but he in particular was pretty horrific. Would have been the biggest derby in years and we lost...still irritates me thinking about it.

Nothing but bad memories when he comes to S6.

I remember watching Johnnie Jackson curl a free kick in the year we got promoted from L1 after Reda tried to spear the poor guy, we lost 1-0 and I froze my balls off.

Then last year when we lost in the cup, I still sware to this day Damien Martinez cost us that game, he was AWFUL, so were a few others but he in particular was pretty horrific. Would have been the biggest derby in years and we lost...still irritates me thinking about it.

Feckin hated that Charlton cup tie. All our team froze, except Martinez, who insisted on flapping like a tw@ at everything. As for CP & his black manager logic, I don't think there's enough white doctors these days, it's so unfair.

on that basis - if there was an award for white managers only and he along with the other 4 or 5 were excluded from it, its fair to say, based on the complaints above, that he would also have a problem with this award! meanwhile he collecting the self same thing...

In the 250 months that then premier league has existed, how many times has a black manager won manager of the month? I'm genuinely interested.

I am not a "holier than thou politically correctness merchant" but I can't really subscribe to your point of view here. The argument generally is that there should be more black managers in the game given the proportion of black professional football players and the fact that more than the vast majority of managers are ex-professional football players. I can't admit to knowing about it but I suspect that the Black Manager award is more symbolic and is awarded to bring attention to the disparity of race in Football Management - this can only ever be a good thing IMHO.

Read up on The Rooney Rule (I think that's what its called). It states something like "the proportion of black candidates invited to management job interviews must reflect the proportion of black people in that industry" or something similar. Black players aren't asking to be given the manager's job but a realistic chance to get it.

Also, I would ask you to research what racism is - or at least look up the definition. Accepting the Black Manager of the Year Award doesn't make you racist. The real irony here is that there are so few black managers in professional football that the Black Manager of the Year Award has been awarded to a really poor manager - that in itself, is a real argument to increase the proportion of non-white managers.

maybe black ex-players don't want to manage clubs, or the ones that do simply aren't good enough. This "i can't get a job cos i'm black" is complete rubbish,

especially when John Barnes said it. Surely he can remember how shyte he was in management

Guest swintonowl1999

flipping hate him

Pulls out racist card then does poo poo as manager.

He infuriated me charlton game, my throw a piece of fruit at him.

flipping hate him

When did he pull out the racist card? 

iirc people went on twitter and racially abused him so he was right if he did.

As for your last comment, dear me.

I'm going to go against the grain here and declare Mr Powell to be a frightfully good egg. I can't fail to notice that some of the rather malicious comments on here appear to be borne out of sheer frustration at seeing their sports team lose. A sad state of affairs

And was that his brother Daryll who used to captain us? They were both born in Lambeth, London I believe and seem to share the same tone of skin.

eh?

what point are you trying to make there?

I simply don't believe that clubs refuse to employ a manager because of the colour of his skin.

Unfortunately I think this probably is the case. Can only think of two black managers over the longer term, Powell and Houghton. Plenty of clubs have never had a black manager (but plenty have had foreign managers)

flipping hate him

I hope you get banned from here, Hillsborough and all football. Disgusting.

Don't like the style of play he adopts at his clubs or his attitude tbh, but there are worse out there...

A note on the black manager thing...positive discrimination is still discrimination. Personally i'm against ALL forms.

Edited by Fuzzy logics

Guest swintonowl1999

What do u can't throw fruit?

Actually o understand where you were coming from, but I didn't mean it like that.

Just my mate got a 3 year ban for throwing an orange at fulham