Stevie May, a let down this season?

Guest CoryBailey96

I think Stevie May has shown a fair bit of promise in his first season here: he has a knack of getting in to decent positions and always looks dangerous when he receives the ball in the box. The issue is we've hardly been the most fluent of attacking units and once chances started to dry up, he started to tense up instead of stroking them into the back of the net like he did with the Middlesbrough goal early on.

Now that he knows what's required at this level, I'm hopeful with that a full preseason to prepare himself, we might see a sharper, stronger Stevie May next year.

It's far too early to write him off yet.

i think a lot of managers rate him, and i think he is rated within the game....

add to the fact that we have funds..... it wouldnt surprise me one bit if someone offers us our money back and a bit more, 

say a million...to test the water, see if we wanna go in another direction.

here we are all talking about who we gonna sign, but expect bids for our players too.

May, Lavery, Lees, Lee, Westwood, Helan, Dielna, Maguire, Nuhiu, Semedo,

im not saying for megabucks, or that they will be in demand by lots of clubs, just that we will have interest in our players IMO, 

especially if we make a big signing early, as said, managers may see the chance of a steal or two.

Give him another season.

Really do think he needs to concentrate on playing by the defenders and not drifting into midfield to help defend.

Gives himself too much to do - plus knacker's himself running around like he does.

He was great against Boro away in August, that's how he needs to play each week

Must be a bit of a disappointment to those who foolishly built him up as our goalscoring saviour, to the rest of us, he's just a punt for the future. Unfortunately the club aren't blameless in this, he should have been taken out of the firing line a lot earlier. In fact, had they have recruited an experienced striker like they said they would, then May could have been used sparingly. I do believe we'll see a better Stevie May next season, especially if we can find a striker to play alongside.

No. And in the mind of some thickos on here, that proves he can't cut it at this level.

I think he will come good for us, and most on here seem to think so as well.

Doesn't excuse the fact I think he's been poor for us this season, wasted too many opportunities, needs to position himself better and needs to stop hiding in games sometimes. 

He's still learning. However think we should have made a better investment.

Anyone slagging May off struggles to understand a football game.

Brilllant off the ball always poiting where he wants that killer ball but this season we don't have the players to provide it.

Also Gray has him chasing back wingers like there is no tomorrow, he's a Steve MacLean player, let him sit on the shoulder, won't do anything all game but he'll score. At least let him play to his strengths before we write him off.

He's still young and needs the rest of the season to adjust to this league. I doubt we will get rid.

A lot is going to depend on how aggressive the new owner wants to be in buying strikers and trying to get into the premiership. If he wants to buy a couple of top Championship strikers to replace what we've got most of our existing strikers will become squad players hoping for the odd game. I doubt that is going to happen though.

In answer to the OP, yes I think May has been a let down this year but that is because we were so desperate for a real striker we allowed ourselves to have unrealistic expectations. He's done as well as can be expected in the circumstances. The failing is ours for hoping for too much.

I think he will come good for us, and most on here seem to think so as well.

Doesn't excuse the fact I think he's been poor for us this season, wasted too many opportunities, needs to position himself better and needs to stop hiding in games sometimes. 

He's still learning. However think we should have made a better investment.

I don't think he has been poor for us in general. He's caused havoc in many games I've seen him play.

dosent disappoint me , what does is when he is shoved out wide or chasing the position players  back instead of being allowed to do the job he was bought in for ,The kids still adapting and has the knack of a striker

it will come for him ,

Guest LouBake

Ohhhh, can't deal with bores constantly mugging off players who don't score. Don't even be convinced that May's a striker, don't believe all you hear about footballers.

just think, Hitler said he wouldn't invade Czechoslovakia .. Welcome to the real world!

dosent disappoint me , what does is when he is shoved out wide or chasing the position players  back instead of being allowed to do the job he was bought in for ,The kids still adapting and has the knack of a striker

it will come for him ,

Agreed. I don't remember Liverpool sticking Robbie Fowler on the wing when he was coming through.

He might just make one in a free flowing, attacking, passing team.

Unfortunately we've been exactly the opposite this season, which is a large part of why he's been so ineffective.

I also think that's why he started snatching at chances, and why his confidence has eroded. He'd be twice the player with a bit of confidence.

His lack of physical presence, pace and aerial ability are obvious concerns. So it remains to be seen whether he can overcome those issues and join in a bit more.

To be honest though, as we're now made of money, I'd like to see a real superstar brought in in the summer, which would probably keep him out of the team; but assuming he keeps working hard in training and finds a way to overcome the prombles he's had so far, he should still have a part to play in the squad. Unless Bus turns out to be brilliant, that is. In which case, he's surplus to requirements really, and a loan spell in League One might be beneficial all round.