Stevie May, a let down this season?

Guest CoryBailey96

Guest CoryBailey96

Now I don't mean to start World War 3 or anything but is it just me or does May seem to avoid alot of criticism on the forum?

I see Nuhui recieving abuse and praise, but no one talks about May.

I personally think May has been a huge dissapointment this season, looking at his record in Scotland he should in theory be good.

However, I think its quite clear now he hasn't quite cut it in the Championship (at least to the extent we thought he would in summer 2014).

So basically, I think may has been sub par this season. Any thoughts? Do you think Stevie has avoided criticism? Do you think he will move elsewhere in summer? Or is he too young to let go of yet?

Edited by CoryBailey96

Too early to dismiss him.

Always going to be a tough job jumping from the SPL to the Championship.

With a full seasons experience in the Championship under his belt, I have no doubt he will be a good player next year.

Plus if we start to add players like Mcgugan and their creativity, he will flourish further.

Personally, I like him and would have no problems with him being in our striker pool next season.

Guest CoryBailey96

Give him another season.

I wouldn't give up on him that's for sure.

Yeah maybe you are right on this one. I just thought I would see abit more quality out of him, just a few more goals maybe. I dunno maybe I have high standards ;)

Guest CoryBailey96

He's has to adjust to playing real football.  Kind of a reality check, is he really good enough? Maybe he might not be here next season if he doesn't improve only time will tell  :picnic:

Pretty much my opinion on the matter summed up.

Guest CoryBailey96

Feck me yet another slag Stevie May off thread hes 21yrs old in his 1st season in English football get off his back .

Hardly slagging him off. Just saying I expected abit more out of him. maybe I have higher standards or want us to push for a playoff position next year. Here is hoping he improves. 

Stevie may is an 800k striker. To think that he would score as many as other established championship strikers in his first season at his age is probably asking a lot of the lad. Think it would be a big mistake to let him go in the summer . Keep him for at least another season because with better supply and better players around him , who knows he could end up surprising a few people on here

Guest CoryBailey96

If he hits double figures then he's done well.

If he reaches 10-12 league goals this season, yeah, I would agree with you. Job well done. 

You don't lose what he was doing at St Johnstone but he needs the right supply. He's been playing in a poor attacking side. Let's see what we get in over the summer and give him a chance to show whether he will cut it. I think, and hope, that he will. Hopefully he will get chance to settle over the summer with a few pre season friendlies.

Guest CoryBailey96

Stevie may is an 800k striker. To think that he would score as many as other established championship strikers in his first season at his age is probably asking a lot of the lad. Think it would be a big mistake to let him go in the summer . Keep him for at least another season because with better supply and better players around him , who knows he could end up surprising a few people on here

Yeah you have a point. He just seemed spectacular in Scotland and I would regard the SPL and the Championship as competitions with similar skill levels. Yeah who knows. I just want a 20+ goals a season striker next season so we can push for playoffs.

Guest tha_knows

Wasn't there a rumour somewhere (probably on here) that he was homesick? Personally although he's not scored as many as hoped, his work effort has been terrific, to be fair to the lad he's been unfortunate on a number of times I.E hitting the bar against Udders and a perfectly good goal disallowed against Bolton

Guest CoryBailey96

Wasn't there a rumour somewhere (probably on here) that he was homesick? Personally although he's not scored as many as hoped, his work effort has been terrific, to be fair to the lad he's been unfortunate on a number of times I.E hitting the bar against Udders and a perfectly good goal disallowed against Bolton

I was there when he hit the bar at Huddersfield yeah that was unlucky. Yeah maybe he is homesick. He doesn't look as happy as he did at the beginning of the season (maybe because he doesnt really have a first team place anymore). 

Wrong investment in my opinion.

Especially with the lack of creativity in the side all season, looks to me to be a player who needs the ball on a plate- we can't offer him that yet. A better gamble would have been Benik Afobe, big strong lad who will put himself about unlike May- think he would have suited us better and made things happen.

Having said that May should have more goals with the chances he's missed in games, for a so called finisher he's not been good enough in my book. Offers little without the ball either making him quite ineffective when in the side.

Still young and adapting to life in this league so i'd like to see him next season with a year of experience under his belt.