Stevie May, a let down this season?

Guest CoryBailey96

Stick with him, He will come good !

^^^^ The voice of wisdom and experience. Listen up.

I like him.

A lot.

Think he's been an immensely positive contribution to the team even though the goals haven't flowed yet.

It'd be very silly to write him off at his age and point in his career with us. If it's assumed we're going to heavily strengthen in the summer, I think May deserves a chance to play amongst those better players.

^^^^ One of the most sensible and lucid posters on this forum. Listen up.

And FWIW, my response to the thread title - nope.

I am wondering if now we have McGugan who gives us some real threat from midfield that the strikers might find a little more room and a little less pressure. We'll see I guess but, way too early to write off May.

He might just make one in a free flowing, attacking, passing team.

Unfortunately we've been exactly the opposite this season, which is a large part of why he's been so ineffective.

I also think that's why he started snatching at chances, and why his confidence has eroded. He'd be twice the player with a bit of confidence.

His lack of physical presence, pace and aerial ability are obvious concerns. So it remains to be seen whether he can overcome those issues and join in a bit more.

To be honest though, as we're now made of money, I'd like to see a real superstar brought in in the summer, which would probably keep him out of the team; but assuming he keeps working hard in training and finds a way to overcome the prombles he's had so far, he should still have a part to play in the squad. Unless Bus turns out to be brilliant, that is. In which case, he's surplus to requirements really, and a loan spell in League One might be beneficial all round.

It's interesting that at times (albeit very rarely) this season where we have been this. Shame we can't do it more often if not all the time.

Edited by themaskedowl

Yep a disappointment so far but we need to stick with him and hopefully have a manager next season that will get the best out of him and a team around him that will give him the chances.

Someone needs to tell him to stop running about all over the pitch like a headless chicken and be johnny-on-the-spot when the ball gets in the box.

A better manager and team and I think we MAY already have our 20 goal a season man, a decent partner alongside him and booooom!!

Yep a disappointment so far but we need to stick with him and hopefully have a manager next season that will get the best out of him and a team around him that will give him the chances.

Someone needs to tell him to stop running about all over the pitch like a headless chicken and be johnny-on-the-spot when the ball gets in the box.

A better manager and team and I think we MAY already have our 20 goal a season man, a decent partner alongside him and booooom!!

Bit naive that, and backed up with cliche. Marvellous.

I haven’t read all the posts so apologies if already pointed out.

I think people forget May is younger than Lavery, who is widely touted as a great prospect for the future. I think May has had good games and bad games this season but has shown enough, to me, that he can become a good player. If he’d come through our academy then I think he would be viewed differently by some, instead he has the burden of being our “big†summer signing last year.

Stick with him, he deserves another season at least.

what i´ve seen he looks the part but guess he´s lacking a bit of confidence but we all know that one flying in off his arse

can soon change things round .3 years left on his contract be madness to write him off just yet .

Young lad, playing in a much tougher environment, and in a team that is set up to be solid defensively.

Whilst he has been a little wasteful in front of goal, which I would expect from a youngster trying his up-most to impress (and perhaps trying too hard), he had been pretty unfortunate too - think I've seen him hit the woodwork at least half a dozen times.

Gaining more experience, having better attacking players around him, playing in a more adventurous team, and a bit of luck, and he'll turn out to be a bargain at £800k.

Guest TommyTank

Stevie is potentially our best forward, he caused teams all sorts of problems at the start of the season, chances dried up and we went through a spell of not scoring.

Thats not just May all of the team struggled, his confidence dropped and he was clearly snatching at chances.

Id like to see him start one of the next games, I firmly believe if a forward is scoring he keeps his place, if he isnt scoring then you freshen things up.

I would like to see how Keane and May play together, Keane likes the ball into feet and Stevie likes to get in behind, on paper its a good pairing.

It would also offer more movement and energy up top, I will be disappointed if we don't give it a try.

They might hit it off and it could be something that effects the planning for next season.

It's interesting that at times (albeit very rarely) this season where we have been this. Shame we can't do it more often if not all the time.

Please name we one game when we have been a free flowing passing side?

I'd agree with the majority of posters he needs another season. I've found it very frustrating with him this season but have to accept he's gone from playing the equivalent of stocksbridge park steels to the championship and thats a hell of a jump.

If Mr. C spends big then that could be a problem for young stevie. Can't fault his effort though.