Lewis mcgugan

Guest owl from retford

Loaning is scrounging. Borrowing players we can't afford and at the expense of others - by definition, that is scrounging. I'm not saying we shouldn't do it. It has been necessary to get us where we are. But let's call it what it really is not dress up as something else.

There comes a time if we want to progress we'll need players of Lewis' quality that are our own.

Loaning is part of football. It's essential for some clubs, and has benefited us tremendously in the past. Yes i agree it would be nice to get some of these players permanently, and in some cases we have done. For some of them, such as Barkley and Wickham, there is no chance. But to call it scrounging is harsh....

Guest wilyfox

Loaning is part of football. It's essential for some clubs, and has benefited us tremendously in the past. Yes i agree it would be nice to get some of these players permanently, and in some cases we have done. For some of them, such as Barkley and Wickham, there is no chance. But to call it scrounging is harsh....

I don't think it's harsh. I don't put Wickham, Barkley, Baker and Keane in the same category anyway. They are the type of talented youngster the loan market should be tailored for.

I'm ok with loaning from above because those players are beyond our reach as permanent signings. But when we're talking about someone like Lewis McGugan, we should aspire to get them on a permanent basis. We can't afford a squad loaded with players of that ilk - but one or two proven examples would be nice.

I think we'll struggle to pull a deal off. If Watford want to sell we MIGHT be able to get a fee together, but the major issue is going to be wages. He must be on around £15k at Watford and I think we'd struggle to offer anything like that. Unless we can offload Kirkland, who is a high earner and sitting on the bench.

depends on the player, if hes been ostracised at Watford he MIGHT take a hot on wages just to get playing again

I don't think it's harsh. I don't put Wickham, Barkley, Baker and Keane in the same category anyway. They are the type of talented youngster the loan market should be tailored for.

I'm ok with loaning from above because those players are beyond our reach as permanent signings. But when we're talking about someone like Lewis McGugan, we should aspire to get them on a permanent basis. We can't afford a squad loaded with players of that ilk - but one or two proven examples would be nice.

Also, the difference with Wickham, Barkley and Baker to McGugan is their clubs were sending those players on loan for their development as well. The club sends them on loan, they get the experience of a good run of first team football and return to their parent club a better and more experienced player ready to challenge in the first team squad. Watford just want McGugan off their books.

That said, I don't have any real objection to us signing McGugan on loan if we then sign him on a free in the summer, as bigdan said there is some good business sense there from our perspective, however I would prefer us to be trying to sign him permanently now as you can see it ending up with us missing out on him.

slightly depressing that pigs willing to pay 1.5 mill for a right back & we can't sign a player who is not wanted by his club so can probably sign for free!

It would be if they were in the same division, but at the moment I can console myself with the fact that they are largely irrelevant At least we are only the paupers of this division