Sheffield Wednesday sign former Real Madrid winger

Guest JonTheOwl66

Either our fantastic team spirit will rub on him, and we will bring the best (that's left) out him, or he will dent that great "all for one - one for all" mentality set that we seem to have right now.

Jury out for this one, as it could turn either way.

Guest Sheff Owl

Former Real Madrid and Everton wideman Royston Drenthe invites Reading fans to play FIFA 14 tournament... at his house

•  
  • Royston Drenthe invited Reading fans for a FIFA tournament at his house
  •  
  • Former Real Madrid and Everton winger awarded winner a shirt
  •  
  • Dutchman has been told he can leave Royals having signed last summer

Reading winger Royston Drenthe challenged fans to a FIFA 14 tournament at his house on Sunday.

The former Everton and Real Madrid wideman took to Instagram to invite local Royals supporters for a game of the popular console game and revealed the winner would receive a 'nice prize'.

Nearly 800 people put their names forward before the 27-year-old then picked out four lucky winners to take part.

Posting a picture of the participants in what appeared to be his back garden, Drenthe said: 'Tournament about to begin good luck lads,' before proceeding to give a running commentary of the games as his guests battled it out.

The winner received one of Drenthe's match-worn Reading shirts and what appeared to be a cash prize - judging by the picture the midfielder shared via his Instagram account.

Having signed a two-year deal with Reading last summer, the Dutchman was reportedly told he could leave the Championship club in July and has also been stripped of his No 10 shirt.

Drenthe began his career with Feyenoord before spells with Real Madrid and Everton.

Joining the Toffees on loan in 2011, the left-footer went on to score three times in 21 appearances for the Blues.

Edited by Sheff Owl

Checklist;

1. Is he a bit 'Radio Rental' - Check

2. Is he in 'Last Chance Saloon' - Check

3. Is he considered by many to have wasted previous opportunities - Check

4. Is he available on loan - Check

5. Has he ever played for Real Madrid - Check

6. Is he more daft than Balotelli - Check

7. Does he have an acceptable criminal/misdemeanour record - Check

8. Does he have a stupid wrap on his sports car - Enquiries Ongoing

Welcome to Wednesday Royston you daft old fruit loop. I hope you lose some timber, sharpen up and come out fighting ready to redeem yourself. Remember we are MASSIVE and if you fuckup you're toast.

At least this is a gamble on loan and not permanent.

I really hope it works. He has talent in abundance, just hope he can be arsed to use some of it during his spell with us.

UTO

Edited by F. Spiksley

Guest wednesday_1987

Reading fans talk absolute crap though mate.

Leeds fans say lees was crap

Edited by wednesday_1987

I'm not convinced with this signing, but when he plays he will get my support.

People saying it's a low risk signing but I disagree.

On the plus side, he could be the winger we need and could bring out the best in our forwards by getting past fullbacks and putting in decent early crosses.

On the other hand, if he loses interest, doesn't like the physical approach of opposition defenders, he could be a disruptive influence and destroy the team spirit that we have. It is the team ethic that has been key to our reasonable start, not individual skills. Big risk. I hope Stu has got it right.

Looks like we need to get him fit too.

That photo is not Reading's kit for this season so I wouldn't base how he looks too much on that.

However, he hasn't had any first team football for a while so it could be that he is in even worse shape now!

There is a reason he is a 'former' Real Madrid winger.

Not that happy with this one, hope I am proven wrong.

theres a reason why Lees is an ex Leeds player means nothing new team new start

On footballing ability he's well up there with any player we've had over the last 10 years, no doubts at all, unfortunately ability is only a small part of what makes a footballer work well in a team.

Agreed but he's definately worth the gamble on loan.

Fans need to get behind him though and not get on his back early, like what seemingly happened at reading. If he gets off to a good start he could become a fans favourite very quickly.