email SWFC

The players hate it the anti climaxe to the adrenaline they build up preparing themselves it's an unnatural thing for them so as fans why not start one after 10 mins or so.

Never thought of that but id say it does put you off, being hyped up and then having to stand motionless, expressionless.

Email the club and ask them to hold a minutes applause on the first home game, as a mark of respect for all fans and ex players who died in the past year.

While the sentiment is noble, I must agree with those that are opposed to this idea. I want to go to Hillsborough to enjoy myself and not mourn the dead.

My mum passed away a couple of years back. Those that have lost a parent will know how devastating that can be. I grieved in private and would have found no solace in twenty odd thousand of my fellow fans applauding her anonymous (to them) life and subsequent death.

Sorry but I think it's a bad idea and cheapens the occasions that do have the gravity to merit a minutes applause or silence.

Not for me. I'm a strong believer that people should grieve in private.

Even when famous people die I don't think there is any need for there to be a minutes silence at football games.

Agreed.

The OP is suggesting a minutes applause not a dreary minutes silence. This would simply be a gesture to acknowledge absent fellow owls and in the case of former players it would be a fitting tribute. The end of the applause would signal a rousing cheer, a rallying call. Nothing to do with private grief.

Agree totally with Abbeyowl. It seems to be the latest thing to have outpourings of grief at regular intervals. Somebody dies somewhere, oh let's put a shrine of flowers there for weeks and have a minutes silence every year to mark the anniversary. People die, it's the only certain thing in life. Football is supposed to be an entertainment, treat it as such and leave mourning to the people who have suffered the loss.

how the hell can we remember folks we never knew in the first place

grief is private, leave it that way

I agree with this totally.

I am afraid that I can't go along with all these somewhat  'superficial' displays of public grief - like flowers and cards and soft toys tied to lampposts, which are then left to rot and decay slowly as the weeks pass by.

I am sorry if this offends anyone and I have no wish to upset anyone who has recently been bereaved.  It may be of help for the immediate family to do this but I just cannot help but feel that there is something rather mawkish about total strangers joining in.  Who are they doing this for?

I agree with this totally.

I am afraid that I can't go along with all these somewhat 'superficial' displays of public grief - like flowers and cards and soft toys tied to lampposts, which are then left to rot and decay slowly as the weeks pass by.

I am sorry if this offends anyone and I have no wish to upset anyone who has recently been bereaved. It may be of help for the immediate family to do this but I just cannot help but feel that there is something rather mawkish about total strangers joining in. Who are they doing this for?

You weren't there at the derby with United just after the two lads died on their way back from Coventry I take it.

Or did you think that was mawkish?

Guest mkowl

The silences at football grounds are just a reflection of society these days. The sea change was when Diana died and these public demonstrations of grief - but with the expectation everyone should join in - are common events. Perhaps reflects a less secular society but people still seeking in some degree what the church once did

In football it should be used selectively, if its every other week it loses the impact. One for fans just seems a step too far down that road

Guest mkowl

Just to add the two lads at the Coventry game was such a one off event that this was quite rightly respected