The next David Hirst?

Guest Nilsson_is_God

Tough call on the Shearer v Hirst debate and even tougher while wearing the blue and white tinted glasses. As for all round ability for me Hirst just shaded it, as said before Shearers career shows he was the better professional who obviously took care of himself off the pitch. Would've been a different story for me had Man Utd bought Hirst when they were after him and had Alex Ferguson managed him I believe his career would certainly have lasted longer, bit like Gazza in that sense.

he came to my school, a few years above me. His story has become the stuff of legend - expelled only 2 years after he joined after multiple misdemeanours, the final straw being when he went in a restricted area of a ship on a trip to france and ended up in the engine room. Sounded like a prize prat lol

lol

It will always be hard to argue the case when their actual records are so different. It is all very well saying what could have, should have been but Shearer did go out and deliver where Hirsty only might have done.

I hate to say it though.

It will always be hard to argue the case when their actual records are so different. It is all very well saying what could have, should have been but Shearer did go out and deliver where Hirsty only might have done.

I hate to say it though.

You're spot on IMO. But I maintain that Hirst had the greater all round raw talent. As you say though he just didn't apply himself as well as Shearer.

Also think that people forget how good shearer was before all of his injuries. He also had pace and power. Shearer adapted his game when he lost some of it and became more of a poacher and was still a world class goal scorer

Shearer and Hirst were both 10/10 strikers. Hirst though had the ability to get inside a centre backs head. He would tease them out as he dropped a little deeper bit by bit.

Then he would strike, dropping deeper still to lick up a short ball the centre back would be sucked in. Hirst with his first touch would begin to turn in an arc. The CB couldn't find the pace to close him down. Hirsty was now bearing down on goal, he had the ability to weight the push of the ball so he could forget the ball as he reached top sprinting speed. He would then strike or pick a pass early often wrong footing the keeper or leaving a partner in the clear.

The best example of his style was our first home game v Hull following relegation.

He was absolutely unplayable that day. One of the best attacking displays I've ever seen.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

Born and raised a Barnsley fan though.

Disappointing, though Chris Waddles son is supposed to be a MASSIVE Wednesday fan.

Tottenham fan.

he came to my school, a few years above me. His story has become the stuff of legend - expelled only 2 years after he joined after multiple misdemeanours, the final straw being when he went in a restricted area of a ship on a trip to france and ended up in the engine room. Sounded like a prize prat lol

Has anyone dna tested him and Gazza?

thing about all this is not only us but others thought it to i.e. Bobby Robson

Yes but for everyone you could quote in the 'hirst' camp I am sure you would find at least three in Shearers

my opinion is the making of Shearer was moving far away from home as a teenager, he was forced to mature young and focus on the job.

if raw talent was the only thing you needed to be successful I think hirst would have my vote.But raw talent on its own just is not enough. David desperately needed a mentor like SAF sadly for him it did not happen