Two photos from the Leeds United game taken within a second of each other

Just my view. Before the Turkey songs it was a decent game, in a good atmosphere. The Jones and Saville songs were aborrant, but we just expect it from them, and almost ignore it. No excuses for what happened, but the Turkey stuff, like the Munich rubbish, changes the whole atmosphere in a match, and that's what we saw on Friday, when a few hundred pissheads took exeception.

So before the match there are many reports of Leeds fans singing the Munich song in both the CIty Centre and various S6 pubs. What if Man Utd fans had been present in any of these pubs? As far as the match is concerned the atmosphere was volatile from the start and in my view the Turkey song albeit only sung by a few gave the Leeds fans the Excuse they needed to go into riot mode. However they're behavior even before that song was sung was still appalling and they were up for trouble even before that. I think you will also find the Turkey song got booed down by a large section of the North stand and was sung no more than a couple of times.

So before the match there are many reports of Leeds fans singing the Munich song in both the CIty Centre and various S6 pubs. What if Man Utd fans had been present in any of these pubs? As far as the match is concerned the atmosphere was volatile from the start and in my view the Turkey song albeit only sung by a few gave the Leeds fans the Excuse they needed to go into riot mode. However they're behavior even before that song was sung was still appalling and they were up for trouble even before that. I think you will also find the Turkey song got booed down by a large section of the North stand and was sung no more than a couple of times.

I sit on the South, and the Turkey songs were loud and clear. I didn't hear the boos, but if true, that's great.

Where's the line drawn then? We have to ignore our manager being called a paedophile and just suck it up? How about the chants mocking the 96 Liverpool fans and blaming us for their deaths?

Personally I'm not arsed about the saville chants. The 2 mentioned above are disgraceful though. If our fans had reacted the same way as their fans did to abhorrent chanting would they be as justified as the Leeds fans seem to be claiming?

flip off apologising for em. People who sing stuff like the above are scum, whoever they support.

If you blow the second photo up (north stand) you can quite clearly see two ball boys plotting 'the riot'. They are discussing tactics and had a cunning plan. I know this because the ball boy on the left is my twelve years old son. They had planned to wander up to the leeds fans and shout obscenities like " you're all gits" and "leeds are rubbish" and while the leeds fans were laughing at them the Wednesday fans could start the riot. The plan however didn't work, some leeds fans started throwing coins and the two ball boys found a couple of quid each and said "stuff the riot lets go and get some sweets" So off they went, hence, no riot.

How much did they make? Just wondering if this is a viable way to get to more games. Insult the opposition, collect the coins they throw to pay for my fare. :ph34r:

Where's the line drawn then? We have to ignore our manager being called a paedophile and just suck it up? How about the chants mocking the 96 Liverpool fans and blaming us for their deaths?

Personally I'm not arsed about the saville chants. The 2 mentioned above are disgraceful though. If our fans had reacted the same way as their fans did to abhorrent chanting would they be as justified as the Leeds fans seem to be claiming?

flip off apologising for em. People who sing stuff like the above are scum, whoever they support.

Well said.

I remember when we naively did "The Dambusters" at Old Trafford and it all went crackers after.

It was a song from Kaiserslautern not a reference to Munich although in a way that is not a justification as it celebrated the bombing of civilians during World War 2.

They got hammered (for attacking families etc) in the return leg.

If you know anything about what happened in Istanbul that night they got slaughtered.

The police stood by and aided the slaughter and they were mocked in the stadium on the night of the game and nobody ever faced justice.

It's their (Leeds) tipping point.

You give it you take it but I would NEVER sing that song, or the Munich one or anything re. the 96 or Bradford.

DJ has definitely got a point re. the poo he's taken from them over the years and maybe they should be educated on the facts re. DJ but they have a long history with Cardiff who no doubt sing the Turkey songs and so the wheel goes round and round.

Edited by sonofbert2

Rightly or wrongly, the single catalyst for the trouble on Friday night was the Turkey songs, and the timing soon after of Michael Tonges goal. Without those, none of this would have happened.

That's the biggest load of crap. Leeds fans have sang about tragedy for years. You could even say that the DJ and JS songs set the tone of the evening. Leeds hooligans were out for trouble and it could have been anything that sparked it off. The turkey songs were in bad taste, but they were just songs. It doesn't give anyone the right to react in the manner that Leeds did. If I walk down the street and suffer abuse, oes that then justify me causing harm to someone

That's the biggest load of crap. Leeds fans have sang about tragedy for years. You could even say that the DJ and JS songs set the tone of the evening. Leeds hooligans were out for trouble and it could have been anything that sparked it off. The turkey songs were in bad taste, but they were just songs. It doesn't give anyone the right to react in the manner that Leeds did. If I walk down the street and suffer abuse, oes that then justify me causing harm to someone

When you have this type of game kicking off on a Friday evening live on telly then there are far more people up for it generally....

Easier to get tickets, dark, all day drinking/sniffing etc etc..... Standards slip compared to your normal Saturday 3.00pm never mind early kick-off.

It's a fine line between edgy and over the top.

Guest wadsgod

I sit on the South, and the Turkey songs were loud and clear. I didn't hear the boos, but if true, that's great.

I sit in the grandstand but I never heard the Turkey song, however I heard the JS song loud and clear and it sounded to me like the all stand was singing the DJ song. So you could argue that the JS & DJ songs actualy started the trouble, because the Wednesday fans sang the Turkey song in retaliation. Please don't give me all the rubbish about one song being worse than the other, because IMO both are vile songs but one set of fans don't react like little kids chucking there dummies out.

I think everyone is missing the point. Forget all the chanting every team has fans that do it in one form or another. The point is the attack on the goal keeper, Which could have been a lot worst. There are some very unstable people out there. The chanting is only chanting and i know its not nice but ( stick and stones and all that ) it will always happen, But the assault can be prevented by extreme actions. If people think - if i run on that pitch and do something i will be going to prison, Then it will stop. Thats the only way.

That kn obhead did not run on the pitch and strike Kirkland because we or them were chanting / singing songs about whatever, He did it becuase he thought it was big and clever but all he really looked like was a W anker.

And the other thing the lads who die on their way home from coventry were not killed, They lost their life's in an car accident not the same nothing to do with football.

Guest Sailmaker

Remember the reply to Shandypants' email questioning whether the Sheffield Wednesday fans were rioting from John Mann MP , “It was a riot with police attacked and missiles etc thrown for 15 minutes.”

With the amount of media interest in the match there should be plenty of photographic evidence.

Rightly or wrongly, the single catalyst for the trouble on Friday night was the Turkey songs, and the timing soon after of Michael Tonges goal. Without those, none of this would have happened.

There is no proof that these 'Turkey' songs were the catalyst for the Leeds fans bad behaviour. If you start using that argument then where do you stop. Although I didn't hear them myself, at least one OwlsTalker has stated that a significant number of Leeds fans were chanting 'murderers' (which is obviously in relation to the 96) to Wednesdayites at a tram stop - does this now qualify any Wednesday fan to go and vandalise Elland Road? Absolutely not. I would hazard a guess that absolutely none of those Leeds fans that behaved badly at the game had any link to those poor souls that lost their lives Istanbul; but if they did I would hazard a further guess that the link is very tenuous.

Stop making excuses for the Leeds fans bad behaviour. It's just detracts from the fact that several Leeds fans entered the pitch on Friday night resulting in one of those fans attacking Chris Kirkland - never mind the fact that several other Leeds fans vandalised our ground.