Parachute payments

Would something similar to the pre-franchising Rugby League model work? If a club was relegated the Super League contract was void, what about if it is built into all Prem players contracts that if their club is relegated their contracts have to renegotiated?

I'm I talking out of my arse?

Never going to happen, the pfa wouldn't have it. I like the idea though. I also think they shouldn't flippingpay em so much in the first place. I'd go as far as introducing a salary cap but like I said not going to happen.

Seriously how does this fit into FFP. Current contracts and gates are factors but this must distort income big style.

I calculated the excluding season ticket holders we took £750k in the Wycombe game. Blackburn being given £48M on day one makes that look like petty cash

Edited by Manor Owl

Parachute payments are there to help the enormous drop in revenue from the premiership to the championship. Gives clubs time to adjust their various outgoings to stabilise with the championship money. It helps clubs NOT go out of business.

Not only that, but since they have been introduced, the championship has become a stronger league, and has raised more revenues its self through popularity abroad. Not just clubs that receive the payments, but clubs that don't up their game, earn more money and better players are happier to play in the league.

Sour grapes from Hill, that is all.

EDIT: Also, contrary to popular belief - parachute payments are around 1 seasons worth of being in the premier league, split over 4 seasons (if it hasn't changed) - most in the first 2 seasons, then drops until receiving none.

Edited by townend_owl

Never going to happen, the pfa wouldn't have it. I like the idea though. I also think they shouldn't flippingpay em so much in the first place. I'd go as far as introducing a salary cap but like I said not going to happen.

Salary caps would only work if they could be introduced and enforced across the whole world. If they couldn't, then any country they weren't enforced would simply attract the best, most greedy players, league the other leagues with cr@p

It's not too late to change things around. Over each of 5 years reduce parachute payments by 20% per annum and introduce ladder payments increased by the same 20% per annum ....voila ! 5 years and they have been replaced so promoted clubs no longer have to gamble money they dont have.

At the same time clubs should declare they will only negotiate with one player representative body...Big *** off to agents.

Parachute payments were introduced to help relegated clubs continue to pay their high-earning players without going bankrupt. They weren't designed so that a relegated club could spend an absolute fortune on one of the best strikers in the division, improving their squad to the disadvantage of the rest.

Blackburn haven't done anything wrong, but something about the system just isn't right imo. But the timing of Keith Hill's comments just make it sound like sour grapes.

yeah but now udders have that money to improve there squad pal, the money staying in country so i dont think its too bad when that happens, just think how big the gap between the two divisions was years ago. the 3 that went up would be more or less be expected to go straight down and i dont think thats the case anymore i mean look at the likes of stoke, wigan, swansea and so on. The parachute payments give you the confidence to bring in players that will help the team be succesful in the premier league.

And none of us will be complaining if we go up or will we????

Salary caps would only work if they could be introduced and enforced across the whole world. If they couldn't, then any country they weren't enforced would simply attract the best, most greedy players, league the other leagues with cr@p

I agree. It would have to come from FIFA and be enforced across the world to make it happen thats why it isn’t going to happen, as they are all bent as a nine bob note.

Hill is quite right, the payments do give an unfair advantage to the relegated teams. As I understand it the payments enable the relegated clubs to continue to pay the salaries of contracted players (we lost out on this with players like Vim Yonk and Bob the Builder). However when the better players of the relegated teams are sold back to premier league teams (Fletcher,Wolves to Sunderland) the relegated club have surplus funds to buy the best players available (Rohdes to Blackburn).

The answere is for clubs to make contracts with players that allow a reduction in salaries if their club gets relegated - a sort of performance related pay. Then to scrap these parachute payments altogether and let the clubs manage their finances according to their income.

Clubs like Barnsley may still not get much higher the Championship but eventually the better supported clubs will rise through the leages based on sound finances and good management.

You do realise the parachute payments get given to the chapionship clubs equally if a relegated prem team goes straight back up?????

Yes, so all teams the next season get the same amount, without anyone having an advantage over the other (without other backing of course).

But what about the newly relegated teams? They can then outspend everyone and the situation remains the same.

Parachute payments were meant to save clubs from ruin, but they just fuel further spending. There needs to be caveats to the payments IMO.

Would something similar to the pre-franchising Rugby League model work? If a club was relegated the Super League contract was void, what about if it is built into all Prem players contracts that if their club is relegated their contracts have to renegotiated?

I'm I talking out of my arse?

Talking out of your arse?

No,it makes perfect sense to me.

i cant make my mind up on the matter to be honest, on the one hand its giving teams that come down loads of money to spend and go straight back up with (potentially), but this money is given to clubs like ourselves (whelan,brunt etc) and gives those clubs more money to spend on there promotion challenges.

I think since the parachute payments started that the gap between the premier ship and championship has definately shorrtened so im nudging more towards the payments being a positive thing, I think!!!

The gap shortened? You sure about that?

It should never have been bought in clubs survived without it before and would do again

This and the fact that Portsmouth nearly (and should have) gone bust

This and the fact that Portsmouth nearly (and should have) gone bust

Yeah the gap is ddefinately shorter nowadays, think back ten years and teams that went up more than likely came down the following season. I think more teams stay up nowadays and give it a better shot. I defo think the gap has closed.

Yeah the gap is ddefinately shorter nowadays, think back ten years and teams that went up more than likely came down the following season. I think more teams stay up nowadays and give it a better shot. I defo think the gap has closed.

It's been hit and miss really, but I wouldn't say it's shortened. I certainly wouldn't say parachute payments have helped any narrowing of the gap. How would that logically work?

Yes

It was 5 points with two games in hand.

Then it was 3 points the other way, on our way to promotion, and then...............

Oh sorry, went into gap mode, every time i see gap it just brings back memories.

I like listening to Keith Hill, he comes across as full of himself, sometimes talks in riddles, but he talks some sense too, the local manager that gets my goat is the Donny boss, he is full of poo .

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

I completely disagree with them. It is like rewarding someone for failure (see the banking crisis).

The sole reason they are in place is to ensure that the clubs have enough money to pay the over-inflated wages of their "stars", whereas in reality, and in any other walk of life, relegation (or not performing to the standards required) would result in either the loss of the individuals job or a possible decrease in salary.

It just reinforces the greed of players and agents, and the stupidity of the clubs, in my opinion and should be scrapped so that clubs are forced to better manage their finances and not end up like Portsmouth for example, who at the start of this season were paying £36k per week on one players wages.

It also gives a totally unfair advantage to the other teams in the Championship (and League One, if the same team is relegated twice in succession).

Edited by ChapSmurf