Parachute payments

i cant make my mind up on the matter to be honest, on the one hand its giving teams that come down loads of money to spend and go straight back up with (potentially), but this money is given to clubs like ourselves (whelan,brunt etc) and gives those clubs more money to spend on there promotion challenges.

I think since the parachute payments started that the gap between the premier ship and championship has definately shorrtened so im nudging more towards the payments being a positive thing, I think!!!

I'm for parachute payments. It makes trying to survive the Premier League worth a go. You have to throw money at it in order to survive, there'd be no point us giving our all in the Championship and going up safe in the knowledge we'll come back down and probably down again. Bloody Keith Hill can rumble off

Parachute payments were introduced to help relegated clubs continue to pay their high-earning players without going bankrupt. They weren't designed so that a relegated club could spend an absolute fortune on one of the best strikers in the division, improving their squad to the disadvantage of the rest.

Blackburn haven't done anything wrong, but something about the system just isn't right imo. But the timing of Keith Hill's comments just make it sound like sour grapes.

Unfortunately its a necessary evil, they are both needed to stop clubs going under and they do provide an unfair advantage. I personally think the FA should decide where the money goes as they pay it. Blackburn should be cutting their budget accordingly not breaking their transfer record with an average of 13,000. Just my own view but that's not right.

Would something similar to the pre-franchising Rugby League model work? If a club was relegated the Super League contract was void, what about if it is built into all Prem players contracts that if their club is relegated their contracts have to renegotiated?

I'm I talking out of my arse?

I can remember the first season of the Premier and Sky involvement. Sky television as a network took off on the back of football. At the start of the first season I remember some clubs spending silly money in expectation of what they would get at the nd of or during the season. I remember thinking" how can club x afford these transfers".

It started there. I think parachute started the season after for the reason mentioned.

Over the years a few clubs have reached the Premier almost by accident, Swindon, Barnsley Bradford Hull. Remember Derby under Billy Davies. They refused to spend money and were criticised. The fans always demand big signings. The manager always gets sacked in February or March by a chairman trying to preserve status, forgetting that this was the manager that got promotion in the first place.

I imagine that some parachute payments are effectively spent before relegation in panic buys in January.

Of course the other issue is that players have escape clauses in contracts in case of relegation. The need for parachute is therefore diminished.

What Blackburn did was against the spirit of parachute but Bolton had many players whose contracts were due to expire. Not many left so they must have used theirs to fund these new contracts. Wolves bought a few players but nothing as blatant as Jordan Rhodes.

They all get money next year, presumably if they do not get promotion. You have to query what exactly that is funding.

Additionally Premier salaries, parachute, reduced gates, how does that fit with Financial Fair Play.