Best/Worst Football Commentators

Inspired by this: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2007/nov/30/1 - I wondered who your best and worst footy commentators were?

For me ...

Best

Barry Davies - Such a shame he spent his career as second fiddle to the useless Jon Motson

Martin Tyler - You've got to say he's fantastic, great voice, great knowledge

Alan Green - I know he's a bit of a Marmite commentator but I love his passion and opinionated nature

Worst

Jon Motson - Sooooo irritating

Mark Lawrenson - Try commentating on the football for once rather than make sh*t joke nobody finds funny

Clive Tysley - Tries to script his entire commentary before the game even kicks off, I remember he saying "Messi, he only ever lends the ball to other players" and I could just picture his smug face at the back of the commentary box nodding and thinking "you're great Clive

Inspired by this: http://www.guardian....l/2007/nov/30/1 - I wondered who your best and worst footy commentators were?

For me ...

Best

Barry Davies - Such a shame he spent his career as second fiddle to the useless Jon Motson

Martin Tyler - You've got to say he's fantastic, great voice, great knowledge

Alan Green - I know he's a bit of a Marmite commentator but I love his passion and opinionated nature

Worst

Jon Motson - Sooooo irritating

Mark Lawrenson - Try commentating on the football for once rather than make sh*t joke nobody finds funny

Clive Tysley - Tries to script his entire commentary before the game even kicks off, I remember he saying "Messi, he only ever lends the ball to other players" and I could just picture his smug face at the back of the commentary box nodding and thinking "you're great Clive

wednesday fan too*

*might have made that up

Edited by Rustyfunk

Agree that Motson is up there with the worse, he should retire as he's starting to sound like an old man in a nursing home rambling on.

Also in a non-sexist way that bird who crops up on match of the day or fls every now and then, she is an awful, awful commentator. sounds like a poo poo voice over on a poo poo kung fu film!!!

Not sure who the best is, i'd probably go for Martin Tyler as well.

best kenneth wolstenholm .

worst by a country mile was danny blanchflower .

Danny Blanchflower was bloody awful, more so on Junior Criss-Cross Quiz though.

I used to like Motson before he became this strange self-parody. I hated Brian Moore, what with his inability to understand the rules of football (not to mention his head uncannily like London Planetarium).

My current favourites are... no, I don't like any of them. John 'We-he-nes-day' Helm took the bloody biscuit. As did the bloke on the Season Review videos who used to call Graham Hyde 'Julian'.

Best Martin Tyler ("CAN YOU BELIEVE ITTTTTTTT!") or Barry Davies ("BERGKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMP OH WHAT A GOAL!)

Worst any of the poo poo ITV lot. Tyldsley used to be okay back in the day but now he just seems to love the sound of his own voice.

Edited by Stokey