Best/Worst Football Commentators

Anything with Harry "I love L**ds" Gratian on look norths footy reviews on a Monday night has got to be with the worst. He hates the massive with a passion

He doesn't! He drinks in my local in York (along with Look North reporter Danny Carpenter) and he doesn't hate us at all!

He doesn't! He drinks in my local in York (along with Look North reporter Danny Carpenter) and he doesn't hate us at all!

Then it's true what me mam says about judging books by covers. He just always seemed to love it when we got hammered... I take it all back!

Best:

John Motson- Old school commentator, knows his stuff

Mark Lawrenson- Comedy gold. Even when the English aren't playing it just makes me laugh to hear his jokes about the Krauts etc.

Chris Waddle- His knowledge of the game is immense..... And he's an Owl!

Worst:

Andy Gray- Knows rumble all and is a complete knob

Andy Townsend- Knows even less and is irritating as roger. Especially when he says "Wee" instead of small or little. wee pipe.

Thinking about it you'll probably all disagree with me but I actually like Gary Neville.

Ok he doesn't have a commentator's voice and he gets stuck at times for what to say, but his knowledge is fantastic and I feel like I am learning how to defend while listening to him.

"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh............. Oon.... Be...... Lievable!

Gary Birtles is particularly bad. i tend to disagree with mostly everything he says during commentary. Hes particularly bad at calling fouls/offsides incorrectly

Gary Birtles commentating reminds me of someone striking conversation with you about football when they know little about it, but are doing so as a talking point as they know you're in to it.

Only difference being this guy won a flippin European Cup

Best. Barry Davies. Ian darke. Paul walker and I always thought Steve banyard was good on Hallam fm back in the day, don't know what happened to him though

Worst. Jonathan Pearce. Andy Giddings and that horrible tw*t Andy(I'm Irish honest) townsend

Worst

Jon Motson - Sooooo irritating

Mark Lawrenson - Try commentating on the football for once rather than make sh*t joke nobody finds funny

Clive Tysley - Tries to script his entire commentary before the game even kicks off, I remember he saying "Messi, he only ever lends the ball to other players" and I could just picture his smug face at the back of the commentary box nodding and thinking "you're great Clive

Agree with these.

I liked Motson but now he's starting to annoy me. He is to football what Murray Walker is to F1 but both have become irritating.

Mark Lawrenson was a complete idiot throughout the Euros with his stupid quips and gags.

Tysley and Pleat/Townsend is the dream team of crap commentating.

Best would be Tyler. And Pearson.

Townsend and Beglin really are horrific, topped only by the worst and ugliest studio presenter of all time .... Chiles!

Can't argue with that, ITV's football coverage beggars belief at times.

Motty is a legend but has become more and more irritating. Don't mind Lawro's quip's, most of them are tongue in cheek. Tyler is very good as is Darke, probably my favourite.

Alan Green has the ability to wind most people up but I enjoy his commentary. I prefer most of the 5 live commentators to the TV ones.

Guest MEXBOROUGH

Not a football commentator but the guy who has been cycling at the olympics is a genius!!! Best out there by a country mile!!!

Yes Hugh Porter is fantastic, IMO he shares top spot alongside the late Bill McLaren for rugby union and Martin Tyler for football

All three seem to enhance great sporting events without ever trying to steal the show for themselves

My all time pet hate is anyone trying to voiceover pre recorded highlights as though they are commentating the event live

It just never flipping works

Oh and a special mention to Murray Walker and Sid Waddell, so bad they become excellant if you know what I mean