How can anyone say our ground is crap?

I think part of the reason is they only see the West stand. Which, after going in there for the first time against Wycombe, is a bit shoddy. But, thats to be expected as its the away end.

Plus, quite a lot of clubs have new/newish grounds these days. Obviously, they will seem better due to them being new. Their facilities will be better.

BUT, its a football stadium. Football stadiums are about atmosphere and history. That is where Hillsborough rises to the top.

Oh and jealousy probably plays a part too.

The modern football fan is raised on facepaint, jester hats and the nations Pride Park clones.

Stadiums like Hillsborough, Goodison Park and (scoff) Bramall Lane will soon become something of the past, but I love it and would hate to leave for anything. Our stadium is iconic and has more heritage per gangway than a stadium like the one at Milton Keynes will have in a life time.

If the away fans don't like it, good. I'd stick them in the corner unless they can sell more, hope it rains and hope they have a miserable day leaving the ground with 0 points. I f*cking love our stadium and the more away games I go to the more I realise how lucky we are.

You can't beat a traditional English football stadium. All of these new identikit bowls will soon look jaded, just like parts of Hillsborough do. The difference is that all that Hillsborough needs is a lick of paint, better bogs and a decent chip stall.

The new grounds need a personality. That isn't so easy to find.

Guest on the band wagon

My lad was playing at the Stain last week, schools football final., so there were only a few hundred in there, how on earth they can ever compare that to hillsborough is beyond me. Looked pretty average when empty

Can't beat the traditional old grounds. Hate these soulless new stadia that are being erected. Hillsborough has nothing wrong with it that a bit of a revamp can't put right as and when appropriate. In the meantime let's concentrate on getting back into the top flight first.

Teams that come to our ground and says its horrible need shooting it's the largest in the championship and has so much history!!!

certainly not horrible but it needs upgrading the west stand is poor all round ,the north while a magnificent looking stand has a shockingly small concourse that is totally inadequate for catereing for 10k people.the kop is pretty much in the same boat as the north with the added inconvience of the pillars obscuring views . the south while having appalling leg room for anyone over 6ft tall is decent enough.the grandstand is a wonderful stand plenty of catering points ,toilets ,tv screens ,leg room and views .having said all that i flipping love it and wouldnt swap for any of these new ones .

Guest Teetowl

All down to the West Stand.

Renovate that (or knock it down and build another one stretching round to the North and South) and Hillsborough will be right up there among the best again.

Spot on Kivo

certainly not horrible but it needs upgrading the west stand is poor all round ,the north while a magnificent looking stand has a shockingly small concourse that is totally inadequate for catereing for 10k people.the kop is pretty much in the same boat as the north with the added inconvience of the pillars obscuring views . the south while having appalling leg room for anyone over 6ft tall is decent enough.the grandstand is a wonderful stand plenty of catering points ,toilets ,tv screens ,leg room and views .having said all that i flipping love it and wouldnt swap for any of these new ones .

I actually disagree with your views on the North and South. My ST is in the North so I am probably bias but having sat in both stands when they are full to bursting, I think the North has a much better layout. If the South is full, you literally can't move, but the North, with it's upper and lower concourses are still navigable. I admit the South has more up to date facilities but the one giant concourse doesn't really work.

Come on chaps. It's only the piggy's and toy towners that make crude comments about our ground. It's a statement of envy.

Sheffield United had 'fantastic' plans to increase capacity and 'transform' the stadium. Whoops, that 'aint going to happen anytime soon.

Rotherham United have a new 'lop sided' ground which has a capacity of 12,000. I've not been inside it but come on. A third the size of ours??

Rotherham United have a new 'lop sided' ground which has a capacity of 12,000. I've not been inside it but come on. A third the size of ours??

If the plans we had if England won the World Cup bid are to be implemented, then it would soon be nearly a quarter of the size :milan:

C'mon Wednesday! Let's get into the prem.

UTO!

I rumblein love the West stand!! It's 2 tiers look great and are in the same tradition as other classic grounds like Goodson and villa Park. And don't forget it was built for the biggest competition which we happened to win that year..1966 World Cup! It should be developed and listed! Too many great buildings have succumbed to the whims of so called popular consensus in the name of modernisation.