How can anyone say our ground is crap?

A lick of paint, some cladding and a tidy up is all that's needed to improve the look. The pillars and concourse improvements will take a long time and a hefty investment so won't be happening any time soon, probably won't happen under Milan. He has said in the past though that we need to be proud of our home so don't be surprised to see cosmetic improvements. No doubt the pigs will then find another reason to have a go at us, having lost the league and attendances arguments recently.

Guest Bournemouth Owl

Yes its because of the West Stand, i said this was looking very tired a few months ago and got hammered by almost everyone tell me how fantastic the west stand was, but i think 3 sides of the ground does need upgrading and i think Milan has said as much.

I would Start with the west stand, knock it down and build a new double decker stand with extra luxury box's in the middle, put the media center in there at one side and a police control center at the other.

I would square the Kop up and re roof without those 2 large columns, this would make both ends of the ground larger and take the capacity up which we will need when we go up to the prem, Not that i have given it much thought or anything.

Edited by Bournemouth Owl

Guest Bournemouth Owl

My business is a painting contractors'

Maybe I should put a price in to Milan.

Very nice, but in my opinion it needs a lot more than a lick of paint.

Have you ever heard the term papering over the cracks.

I think i would start with a pneumatic hammer not a paintbrush

Edited by Bournemouth Owl

Looking at the stuff that needs doing in Bournemouths post above, how long would structural stuff like that take? And what would the impact be on capacity and ground access etc? If it cuts capacity then it's worth doing it while we are in this league and only attracting 25k or so, rather than restricting capacity in the prem when we would average 35k+ regardless of how the ground looks. Though the downside to that is our income is lower in this league. It's a balancing act for Milan.

Guest Bournemouth Owl

Well the plan is to do exactly as i have said, (well almost all of it) We have all seen the model, i would start sooner than later, perhaps within the next 12 months

You can't beat a traditional English football stadium. All of these new identikit bowls will soon look jaded, just like parts of Hillsborough do. The difference is that all that Hillsborough needs is a lick of paint, better bogs and a decent chip stall.

The new grounds need a personality. That isn't so easy to find.

Agree. In his book 'Football Grounds of Britain' Simon Inglis sums it up: 'A visit to Hillsborough on a crisp, autumn afternoon remains one of the quintessential joys of English sport.'

Hillsborough is a charming old football stadium. One of a few that's really left. the west stand has a history and stigma attached to it by others. In my opinion it lets the ground down, but only cosmetically. It needs tiding up, the outside appearance addressing and it'll be a marked improvement on what is there now.

There is no chance of any major structural work happening unless we get to the premiership. Even then it isn't going to be high on the list of priorities for the club or fans.

Edited by mike84

Guest Big Guns

That world cup stadium wot strafford came up with looked the business ,would like to see that happen in the next few years ,if we,get to the prem it will happen..

Guest cypress hill

My business is a painting contractors'

Maybe I should put a price in to Milan.

if i was in your business,i would do it for nowt in mi spare time

thanks in advance for your help

Guest Bournemouth Owl

You wanna come and work for me... I accept your wage demands.

Yes he demands to work for nothing ..... and he wont take not a penny less i tell you!

Guest BigDave

That world cup stadium wot strafford came up with looked the business ,would like to see that happen in the next few years ,if when we,get to the prem it will happen..

Not standing for attitudes like that

TBH people you all know my story , well i'l just say the sight of our stadium is awsome, and when you haven't been for some time it hits you so hard when you do manage to get back ,the first glimps as you come over the top of herries road is breathtaking , yes i agree that it could do with a spruce up ,But the beauty of hillsborough will never be beaten by these soul less plastic grounds ,Having seen such as chessie , i am sorry it's a case of once seen soon forgotten ,

You can't say that about The old lady, long may she reign she is way in front of the plastics every inch ouses history and tradition , let her live she deserves it ,

It's like comparing a shiny new tower block to Chatsworth House. That said, yeah, it is getting ready for a bit of a re-furb. I cannot see it happening until the footballing side of the 'project' is well under way though.

I remember the vilification Eric Taylor received for allegedly spending on the ground at the expense of investing in the team. (The North stand was almost seen as the 8th wonder of the world at the time, being the first cantilever stand ever built), and i can't see them making the same mistake again re the issue of ground over team.

Shiny new grounds are ten a penny. Old Trafford is a result of gradual re development and expansion, not an original design. Yes, ours needs a bit of work, but when you see it at games like Wycombe, it sends goose bumps down the spine. I love the place, always have, always will.

Who cares what hillsborough looks like it's still one of the best stadiums in the country by a mile.

No other ground beats it when its rocking and bouncing.At the end of the day it doesn't matter what the away fans think

it's our ground and we love it so flip em

Edited by Firthparkowl

Guest Big Guns

Who cares what hillsborough looks like it's still one of the best stadiums in the country by a mile.

No other ground beats it when its rocking and bouncing.

But all the sound goes out of the corners

It's not loud enough hillsbourgh.