Mandaric - Haggling Over Wages

Mellor - Wants To Come To Us But Wage Has To Be Right

Brown - Wants Him

Preston - Desperate To Get Him Off The Wage Bill

What we have here is a good ol mexican stand off

Edited by LaminyPie

Guest londonowl1

big blow if the deal is off.

we need a 25 goal a season striker if we are to secure promotion.

now where do we turn?

according to meggo on RS this morning the mellor deal is all but off. can't reach agreement on wage demands

its hardly a surprise is it? The writing has been on the wall for a number of weeks. To be perfectly honest, if Mellor wants to stay at a tin pot club like Preston who are well and truely in the mire then let him.

we need a 25 goal a season striker if we are to secure promotion.

Where do footballing cliches like these come from? How many promoted teams have a 25 goal scorer? Why can't the goals be split ten each between four strikers or amongst the rest of the team? As long as goals are scored whether one player is carrying the heavy load is totally irrelevant.

If it's down to wages then that's annoying.

If I were Neil Mellor I would be looking at the bigger picture, slightly reduced wages but the chance to play at a club where he is wanted and played well last season as well as generally being on the up. Or 1 extra year at a club where it appears they are happy to get rid of him and where they will be in the middle of re-structuring slightly due to them dropping a league and then he will be a free agent next summer?!

If it's down to wages then that's annoying.

If I were Neil Mellor I would be looking at the bigger picture, slightly reduced wages but the chance to play at a club where he is wanted and played well last season as well as generally being on the up. Or 1 extra year at a club where it appears they are happy to get rid of him and where they will be in the middle of re-structuring slightly due to them dropping a league and then he will be a free agent next summer?!

CASH is king Tom.

Guest Sheff Owl

Seems like Mellor wants too much money then...

If the 6k is not good enough which we have apparently offered then i'm sorry but it just seems he is putting money first.

Yes money is important to players but it seems maybe the rumours are true that he wants exactly what he is on now.

Where do footballing cliches like these come from? How many promoted teams have a 25 goal scorer? Why can't the goals be split ten each between four strikers or amongst the rest of the team? As long as goals are scored whether one player is carrying the heavy load is totally irrelevant.

Exactly mate.

Plus, I fancy Madine to bag a fair few this season; I'd rather us bring in some like Amond (i.e plays off Madine' shoulder). I think a partnership along those lines would stand us in good stead this season.

Dissapointed if the Mellor rumours are true, but it ain't the end of the sodding world.

UTO FTB.

I can appreciate that, but surely it's better to secure a 2/3 year deal on reduced wages than it is to get 1 year earning more money?

I agree but if he did play his contract out with Preston he'd be available on a free and im sure they would be some suitors.

Guest Sheff Owl

Anyone seen this from Phil 'flipping' Brown....

Preston boss Phil Brown hailed striker Neil Mellor as a "20 goals a season man" after he struck North End's equaliser in Monday's 1-1 friendly at Kilmarnock.

The former Liverpool forward spent last season on loan at Sheffield Wednesday and scored 13 times for the Owls in League One.

After scoring his first goal of pre-season, Mellor is ready to spearhead North End's challenge to make an immediate return to the Championship, according to Brown.

He told the club's official website: "He is a 20 goals a season man - end of story. He proved it last season at a big club and I think League One isn't his division - he can play higher.

"He has a manager who believes in him, a backroom staff that wants him to do well and when he got his goal we were delighted for him."

Is that suppose to be a dig?

I can appreciate that, but surely it's better to secure a 2/3 year deal on reduced wages than it is to get 1 year earning more money?

1 year on his full wages this year and then after that he will expect to be able to secure a deal similar to what we are offering when he's a free agent. The fact there will be no fee next year as well might mean clubs are prepared to offer a bit extra on wages. Assuming he does ok at Preston this year, he should make more money overall by staying put.

He told the club's official website: "He is a 20 goals a season man - end of story. He proved it last season at a big club and I think League One isn't his division - he can play higher.

"He has a manager who believes in him, a backroom staff that wants him to do well and when he got his goal we were delighted for him."

Talk is cheap.

Why did PNE accept the bid if he's so highly regarded?

Brown is doing his usual trick.

Anyone seen this from Phil 'flipping' Brown....

Preston boss Phil Brown hailed striker Neil Mellor as a "20 goals a season man" after he struck North End's equaliser in Monday's 1-1 friendly at Kilmarnock.

The former Liverpool forward spent last season on loan at Sheffield Wednesday and scored 13 times for the Owls in League One.

After scoring his first goal of pre-season, Mellor is ready to spearhead North End's challenge to make an immediate return to the Championship, according to Brown.

Is that suppose to be a dig?

Nah, Phil Brown just opens his mouth. He hasn't got the intelligence to have digs or play mind games.

Edited by Anthndav