3 of the 6 targets already here....

Not seen this posted on here....

Published on Thursday 5 May 2011 15:27

Sheffield Wednesday’s chances of landing Neil Mellor have been boosted by Preston’s relegation from the Championship and talks could develop into a flagship signing, writes nobody in particular.

Mellor’s current wages are believed to have been cut by 25% under a drop clause in his Deepdale contract which has a year to run.

The former Liverpool striker heads gary megson’s all-British six-strong summer hit-list.

And the Telegraph understands half the recruitment drive is an inside job - with three of the wanted men already at Hillsborough.

Loan defenders Danny Batth (Wolves) and Rob Jones (Sflaphorpe) make up the triumverate after stiffening the Owls backline in a revival Megson wants to extend with a fifth successive home victory in Saturday’s Hillsborough finale against Exeter.

Mellor’s future is in sharp focus as North End face cutting their wage bill for life in League One. Preston boss Phil Brown is believed to have told the 28-year-old that he wants to keep him.

But it would be no surprise if Mellor became one of Wednesday’s first transfer coups of the summer after his 20 goal haul this season.

With the clout of owner Milan Mandaric behind him, Megson is in a position to force the issue because the player is still on wages that Preston might struggle to sustain at the lower level.

The fact that he will command a fee is another likely swaying influence, as is Wednesday’s ability to pay.

And the final clincher is that Mellor, son of former Hillsborough midfielder Ian and a fan of the club, wants to complete a permanent move after a season on loan.

His year has been a personal success, if not a collective one. As in previous seasons at Preston, Mellor’s appearances have been rationed, suggesting a query over his general fitness.

Megson has raised the question of getting him fitter and Mellor has always looked a little on the bulky side.

But there is no doubting his quality or, indeed, his output of goals. He has the pace to get behind defenders and proven finishing ability.

It all fuels the belief that, having performed consistently under two managerial regimes, Mellor can be even more effective with a Megson-style pre-season under his belt.

When Megson handed his hit-list to Mandaric, the assumption may have been that all the targets would be from outside the club.

But Mellor will have been one of the six - among others already stationed at Hillsborough. Megson has made a point of lauding the defensive stability provided by centre backs Batth and Jones.

Not seen this posted on here....

Published on Thursday 5 May 2011 15:27

Sheffield Wednesday’s chances of landing Neil Mellor have been boosted by Preston’s relegation from the Championship and talks could develop into a flagship signing, writes nobody in particular.

Mellor’s current wages are believed to have been cut by 25% under a drop clause in his Deepdale contract which has a year to run.

The former Liverpool striker heads gary megson’s all-British six-strong summer hit-list.

And the Telegraph understands half the recruitment drive is an inside job - with three of the wanted men already at Hillsborough.

Loan defenders Danny Batth (Wolves) and Rob Jones (Sflaphorpe) make up the triumverate after stiffening the Owls backline in a revival Megson wants to extend with a fifth successive home victory in Saturday’s Hillsborough finale against Exeter.

Mellor’s future is in sharp focus as North End face cutting their wage bill for life in League One. Preston boss Phil Brown is believed to have told the 28-year-old that he wants to keep him.

But it would be no surprise if Mellor became one of Wednesday’s first transfer coups of the summer after his 20 goal haul this season.

With the clout of owner Milan Mandaric behind him, Megson is in a position to force the issue because the player is still on wages that Preston might struggle to sustain at the lower level.

The fact that he will command a fee is another likely swaying influence, as is Wednesday’s ability to pay.

And the final clincher is that Mellor, son of former Hillsborough midfielder Ian and a fan of the club, wants to complete a permanent move after a season on loan.

His year has been a personal success, if not a collective one. As in previous seasons at Preston, Mellor’s appearances have been rationed, suggesting a query over his general fitness.

Megson has raised the question of getting him fitter and Mellor has always looked a little on the bulky side.

But there is no doubting his quality or, indeed, his output of goals. He has the pace to get behind defenders and proven finishing ability.

It all fuels the belief that, having performed consistently under two managerial regimes, Mellor can be even more effective with a Megson-style pre-season under his belt.

When Megson handed his hit-list to Mandaric, the assumption may have been that all the targets would be from outside the club.

But Mellor will have been one of the six - among others already stationed at Hillsborough. Megson has made a point of lauding the defensive stability provided by centre backs Batth and Jones.

would love to see the 3 of them back next season

UTO.

Batth and Jones have been a breath of fresh air at the back, for some reason they have “clicked” so to speak.

Mellor wants to stay, even if he only plays halve of our fixtures he is still capable of putting 20 away, as proved this season, so he is a must buy IMO.

If this is 3 out of the 6 I am a happy bunny.

I’m sure there will be a couple of surprises over the summer, and for the first time in quite a number of years I’m looking forward to next season already

Guest TonyOwl88

would love to see the 3 of them back next season

UTO.

3 of the our best players this season I think.

I reckon the 1 mentioned at that meeting is Mellor.

Jones and Baath I reckon are the other two positions i've read about on top of the 6 sent to MM. Possibly reliant on others leaving though.

All guesswork though :) should be an interesting summer anyway.

Just heard a rumour that Jones has signed a pre contract agreement to join us for two years with an undisclosed sum to be payed to Scunny

Would be fantastic to have him and Batth next season as we`ve been decent at the back since they came in and Mellor up front to bang in another 20 next season plus another 3 , roll on August :biggrin:

Did nobody write thIs?

Chance of baath are slim at best. Mellor a maybe. Even jones isn't a certainty

Scunny were desperate to off-load Jones before they went down - whether MM is prepared to continue paying his current wages (or whether Jones will accept a reduction) is the bigger issue

Jones was just what we needed to settle the back 4 down at a time when we were desperate for a bit of experience, and don't get me wrong he's a steady player.

However, I would be a bit disappointed if one of our 6 signings was him. I'd like to be aiming a bit higher, and if it's true that we will be looking to sign Baath on loan then I think we'd be fine with a choice of Beevers, Johnson, Buxton or Morrison to partner him.

Could be a tactical move by Milan, ok the three are here playing ,But technicaly they belong to other clubs ,play on words perhaps ,

Who knows ,But i am happy for the three to stay

Just heard a rumour that Jones has signed a pre contract agreement to join us for two years with an undisclosed sum to be payed to Scunny

This post has been edited by OxonOwl: 06 May 2011 - 12:36 AM

Could be something in trevdi9 comment. If Jones has signed a pre-contract then it makes him a defacto SWFC player. 5 more to come in some of whom maybe on loan at S6 now.

Jones was just what we needed to settle the back 4 down at a time when we were desperate for a bit of experience, and don't get me wrong he's a steady player.

However, I would be a bit disappointed if one of our 6 signings was him. I'd like to be aiming a bit higher, and if it's true that we will be looking to sign Baath on loan then I think we'd be fine with a choice of Beevers, Johnson, Buxton or Morrison to partner him.

I know what your saying but I think having that extra knowledge and experience is just what we need over a long season. I'd be happy with both of them back.

Key for me again is who we have in the two central midfield slots.