Does everyone still actually enjoy football?!!!

Think the dust has settled enough for me to ask this and satisfy my curiosity (that's what I'm doing, not having a go at anyone)..

Does everyone still actually enjoy football? I mean on a game by game basis rather than it being just all about going up, or whatever.

I do...

But reading this forum and other Social Media got me thinking, these days, seems like a lot don't enjoy it... like, at all!

Makes me wonder, what do they get out of it?

They were miserable when staying up was the aim, and they're miserable now, when finishing in the Play Offs is par for the course. Once upon a time, where we are now, was the dream. But we always want more, it's like getting the car you've dreamt of, then immediately losing interest in it and yearning for a better one.

OK, we'd all love if if we'd won, got promotion. I was as pissed off as anyone else after the Semi defeat, but I'm getting over it now. Think fighting at the top of the Championship and winning far more games than we lose is nothing to moan about.

Would people actually enjoy being in the Premier League and not winning most weeks?

Doubt it. That's not me finding a positive for not going up, just an observation.

It's not just us either, but surely there's only a few clubs in the world that can expect constant success, there's a lot more clubs in the country than there is things to win. So "success" is all relative.

Frankly speaking, not as much as I used to. The modern game as lost its appeal. The money madness and the total lack of respect for cup competitions by the top clubs has done it for me. I just don't see the game as I used to. I would rather it go back to the blood and guts of the 70's and 80's. It has become all so predictable and monotonous. 

I love it! For me the highs and lows are what make football. Yes the lows (like Wednesday) are terrible but when you get the success, in whatever form it makes it all the more enjoyable. I often think to myself wouldn't it be easier if I supported someone like Man United or Chelsea. God no - boring and completely money driven. When Wednesday got relegated in 1990 it was the worst day of my life as a Wednesday fan. I was devastated. The season after was the best as a Wednesday fan. Promotion and a cup win. These things don't happen often as a Wednesday fan but when they do - boy is it worth it. 

1 minute ago, ChinaOwl said:

Frankly speaking, not as much as I used to. The modern game as lost its appeal. The money madness and the total lack of respect for cup competitions by the top clubs has done it for me. I just don't see the game as I used to. I would rather it go back to the blood and guts of the 70's and 80's. It has become all so predictable and monotonous. 

Good point, the money has changed things dramatically.

Do you think we could've kept the early 90's team here if it was like it is these days?

They'd have been picked off by today's rich clubs. Especially the likes of Hirst and Sheridan etc that we had in the 2nd Division (today's Championship).

It wasn't impossible back then to dream of a brilliant Manager putting a team together and challenging all the way to the top.

I am a Wednesday fan first, then football fan second, therefore i'd be happy with CC Anti-football if we got promoted, but we didn't so I am not. Actually prefer rugby union to football. If we could switch that would be great, we would be the biggest rugby club in the world!

Just now, Donny.Owl said:

Good point, the money has changed things dramatically.

Do you think we could've kept the early 90's team here if it was like it is these days?

They'd have been picked off by today's rich clubs. Especially the likes of Hirst and Sheridan etc that we had in the 2nd Division (today's Championship).

It wasn't impossible back then to dream of a brilliant Manager putting a team together and challenging all the way to the top.

No I don't - just look at the speculation surrounding George Hirst now. He hasn't even had the chance to show what he can do at league level yet but already the vultures are hovering.

1 minute ago, Owl 44 said:

I love it! For me the highs and lows are what make football. Yes the lows (like Wednesday) are terrible but when you get the success, in whatever form it makes it all the more enjoyable. I often think to myself wouldn't it be easier if I supported someone like Man United or Chelsea. God no - boring and completely money driven. When Wednesday got relegated in 1990 it was the worst day of my life as a Wednesday fan. I was devastated. The season after was the best as a Wednesday fan. Promotion and a cup win. These things don't happen often as a Wednesday fan but when they do - boy is it worth it. 

I'm the same.

Most enjoyable Season in recent times was the MInd The Gap season.

It ended just about perfectly and I was there.

The hang over the year after was all doom and gloom in comparison and yet, staying up was probably just as big an achievement.

13 minutes ago, Donny.Owl said:

Think the dust has settled enough for me to ask this and satisfy my curiosity (that's what I'm doing, not having a go at anyone)..

Does everyone still actually enjoy football? I mean on a game by game basis rather than it being just all about going up, or whatever.

I do...

But reading this forum and other Social Media got me thinking, these days, seems like a lot don't enjoy it... like, at all!

Makes me wonder, what do they get out of it?

They were miserable when staying up was the aim, and they're miserable now, when finishing in the Play Offs is par for the course. Once upon a time, where we are now, was the dream. But we always want more, it's like getting the car you've dreamt of, then immediately losing interest in it and yearning for a better one.

OK, we'd all love if if we'd won, got promotion. I was as pissed off as anyone else after the Semi defeat, but I'm getting over it now. Think fighting at the top of the Championship and winning far more games than we lose is nothing to moan about.

Would people actually enjoy being in the Premier League and not winning most weeks?

Doubt it. That's not me finding a positive for not going up, just an observation.

It's not just us either, but surely there's only a few clubs in the world that can expect constant success, there's a lot more clubs in the country than there is things to win. So "success" is all relative.

I love football, prefer playing to watching, something which has changed over time.

I do however hate it, with an unadulterated passion. Not because Wednesday don't play well sometimes, I love the ups and downs with us, mirrors real life, no for me it is the money in the game. I cannot empathise with players who are on astronomical wages. I cannot stand the pandering nature of football to egotistical prima donnas. It taints what should be something really enjoyable.

The fact that our chairman has spend millions upon millions to keep us competitive in the face of parachute payments pains me.

I could go on. I dread reaching the premiership because I worry I will become detached from Wednesday because, a bit like England, I don't have much time for the clean cut perfection that is football/ footballers nowadays.

4 minutes ago, Spondon Owl said:

I love football, prefer playing to watching, something which has changed over time.

I do however hate it, with an unadulterated passion. Not because Wednesday don't play well sometimes, I love the ups and downs with us, mirrors real life, no for me it is the money in the game. I cannot empathise with players who are on astronomical wages. I cannot stand the pandering nature of football to egotistical prima donnas. It taints what should be something really enjoyable.

The fact that our chairman has spend millions upon millions to keep us competitive in the face of parachute payments pains me.

I could go on. I dread reaching the premiership because I worry I will become detached from Wednesday because, a bit like England, I don't have much time for the clean cut perfection that is football/ footballers nowadays.

Interesting post and largely true. I read in another thread that we have the best squad now since the 90s. However if we go up we'll probably have to sell most of them and buy a load of foreign players with no loyalty to our club whatsoever - just to compete. 

Of course we love football otherwise why would we be on this forum on a Sunday evening at this time of night!!.

Like others have already said ,times have changed and the money now in the game has,if we are being honest,alienated us fans to a degree.

Sadly there is no going back to the days that we fans of a certain age remember more fondly, so as individuals we must choose whether to stay on board and if like me, you have blue blood in your veins, you will. 

I just want to see us compete in the league we deserve to be in. A club of our size should be in the Prem, unfortunately we don't have the team to match.

Maybe I'll stop moaning then. Probably not, I'll be on here calling for the manager to leave when Chelsea knock 5 past us

lol

not really - i remember when football in the late 80 and some of the 90 was dreadful with low crowds and little TV interest due to the long ball Charles Hughes model.

Now it's sometimes dearth by a thousand pasess - it's like water torture, and it's not just Man city, Arsenal etc, but coaches like CC who think it's the only way.

Personally I like the Liverpool, Tottenham and Bournemouth styles for sheer entertainment value.

Of course supporting a team is always a balance of style and winning. For this, in all my time watching wednesday since the mid 70s, only big Ron has managed this.

Jeff and the 'experts' early where talking about john terry and what he should do after leaving Chelsea

one said 'he could retire a legend or go to a west ham or a Swansea and earn 40/50 k a week,but Is it really worth johns effort to keep fit at his age'

stuff like that pissess me off with football

39 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

exactly this! we're all 'coached' to absolute boredom... tactics,mind coaches,dietitians,fitness coaches etc  defending with the ball, defending without the ball,shape,systems i could go on

where is the individualism ,freedom of expression,taking a man on etc

where are the waddles, bests,bergkamps,hoddles, etc 

so,in conclusion,my answer is no .... it's boring. (unless it's like last season when we actually played attacking football that allowed forestieri to flourish)  

don't like football any more BUT still love Wednesday,which is why i still go

Edited by brian joicey

I think enjoy is a bit of a strong word.

Wednesday will always be the drug of choice. High and lows. 

The rest of football is now poisoned and I know well enough to try and stay away for fear of making myself ill. 

Edited by Lord Snooty

Guest ka58

A lot of fend these days seem more interested in the clubs business model than the teams results and performances.