Owls v Swansea City Matchday Thread

17 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Was it still used for home fans as late as that?  I started going in 80/81 and sat in the middle of the upper West, and had my first ST in there in 81/82, but we moved to the North Stand for the 82/83 season so I always assumed that was when it went away only.  Seems weird now to think that in that era of hooliganism home and away fans sat together but it was generally OK with small away followings although this  9-10 year old was somewhat terrified when Newcastle and Chelsea came and filled it. Think Norwich were the only other side that filled it in those couple of seasons but they were happy as even though we won on the final day (and the last time I was in that stand) they got promoted. 

I remember that Swansea 6-1 game well, not just for the novelty weather and the goals but it was the sparsest Kop I've ever seen, usually even when it was a low gate there were fans spread all over so it looked fairly full but on that day there literally just a hardy 1-2k at most all huddled together in the centre with the sides empty. In contrast the next home game was the League Cup QF against Liverpool which was the most rammed Kop I've ever seen. 

Was it really Liverpool next? What a match  and what an atmosphere for that one. 

And of course in those days the League Cup was massive and rotation was for crops and helicopters.

I'm really nervous, it technically isn't but it feels like a must-win game to me today, if we lose ground on the others it's going to be difficult to make it up with matches running out. Can see Huddersfield and Stoke getting something, and with QPR playing Birmingham one or both are picking up points.  I'd take the scrappiest 1-0 win ever, but I've got a bad feeling... 

4 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Was it really Liverpool next? What a match  and what an atmosphere for that one. 

And of course in those days the League Cup was massive and rotation was for crops and helicopters.

I'm sure it was Swansea on the Saturday and then Liverpool on the Tuesday. I remember a photo of Dave Barber in the blizzard after the Swansea game struggling to do something (God knows what in these conditions!) to try and get the pitch ready for Liverpool. 

My worry today is that Bannan and Poveda aren’t fully fit and Bernard and Ugbo have been playing games half way across the world. 

Those guys have been crucial to our recovery but might not be 100% today - if they play at all.

Also DR made a garbled reference to the ‘number 6’ when talking about Hendrick and Gregory being registered and one of them possibly playing today. Wouldn’t be shocked to see Hendrick starting.

If they all play their rounduns off we are in with a chance…no lazy deckers this afternoon please…thank you!

Come on you blue and white wizzzzaaaarrds! Send these Welsh fannies back to the valleys with a knot in their necks!

21 minutes ago, S1Owl said:

must win but please Danny, don't go gung ho like last match ffs

As much debated on here there are no 'must win' matches.

There are 8 matches left, winning any 5 of them should do, or 4 and a few draws. 

It is worth grasping this and this should help you get through the afternoon