Few nice comments about Des Walker.

Didn't Des Walker have a reputation for being a bit awkward in training when at Wednesday.
Didn't him and Emerson Thome end up not being on speaking terms?

All 25 years ago now so cant remember the details.

Edited by matthefish2002

Great to hear the views of top top pros who’ve played at the pinnacle of the professional game and give a real insight into what it’s like at that level playing in front of huge crowds and massive pressures…

…..and Jill Scott lol

On Des though… for consistent quality of performance IMO the best player I’ve ever seen in a Wednesday shirt. He was an 8/10 every week and very often, when up against a Wright or a Shearer or a Ferdinand he was a 9/10. Absolutely superb.

• Like 9

I was a mascot in the very early 2000s, and still have a vivid memory of a clearly pissed off Walker and Pressman bickering in the changing room on standards at about 1.45PM before the game as I did the photo and autograph thing. 

I can’t imagine how frustrating it must have been for those players to have lost the likes of Di Canio and Carbone and be sat next to Tony Crane and Aaron Lescott. 

Edited by TheBoyBeevers
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, paulrs said:

On Des though… for consistent quality of performance IMO the best player I’ve ever seen in a Wednesday shirt. He was an 8/10 every week and very often, when up against a Wright or a Shearer or a Ferdinand he was a 9/10. Absolutely superb.

And he was never injured. Played all the time.

£80m+ player in today's market.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, BridportOwl said:

Sure I read somewhere that it was said that Des Walker could start an argument in an empty room. It was said it a nice way though, just that he could be very contrary.

I met him at a celebrity match at the Keep Moat Stadium, summer just gone, me and my lad had a couple of photos with him etc. I asked him, who did he think would have won a race, him or Dom Iorfa. Granted abit of a daft question but he, let’s just say, ‘went off on one’!! So I can understand that comment !

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, paulrs said:

Great to hear the views of top top pros who’ve played at the pinnacle of the professional game and give a real insight into what it’s like at that level playing in front of huge crowds and massive pressures…

…..and Jill Scott lol

Ian wright used to score pretty much every time he played against us, including when he could barely run playing for West Ham.  And shearer banged in 5 goals against us, des didn’t get near him the whole game.

• Like 1

Although a good player he was here 93-01 we fell a long way in those 8 years, I know not his fault but it does put downer on his time with us

• Like 1

1 hour ago, owler66 said:

Although a good player he was here 93-01 we fell a long way in those 8 years, I know not his fault but it does put downer on his time with us

I always think it’s unfair when individual players are judged by what’s going on in the team around them. 

No offence to Pearson, Shirtliff, Worthington or Harkes for example as they were all great for us but IMO Walker, Thome, Hinchcliffe and Alexandersson were better players… it’s just they get tainted in memory sometimes by being part of inferior teams 

22 hours ago, BridportOwl said:

Sure I read somewhere that it was said that Des Walker could start an argument in an empty room. It was said it a nice way though, just that he could be very contrary.

Remember Lauren Robert at Newcastle, think it was Shearer who said he could start an argument in a phone box that had no phone 😆

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Almat said:

He certainly had an interesting testimonial at Forest 😄

Great quote from Keane:

'Walker, once described by Roy Keane as "a world-class playboy and the man for the night-time adventures",'

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2005/may/18/newsstory.sport6

What a player he was though...

"Night time adventures" :Chansiri:

19 hours ago, Almat said:

He certainly had an interesting testimonial at Forest 😄

Great quote from Keane:

'Walker, once described by Roy Keane as "a world-class playboy and the man for the night-time adventures",'

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2005/may/18/newsstory.sport6

What a player he was though...

Shame to hear that , knew his girlfriend then wife very well during my schooldays. 

Not only was she’s drop dead gorgeous she was a genuinely nice person, helped me settle in at school in Nottingham after moving down from Sheffield  , never forgot her and her best mate getting me back to the hotel on my 16th birthday after I hit pissed on a school ski trip in Switzerland. 

• Like 1

I was at Goodison when Walker went up for a header and knocked out 3 of Rideouts teeth. The paper the day after circled them falling to the ground.

Walker was the best CB i have ever seen for Wednesday, single handedly kept us in so many games!!

• Like 2

On 21/03/2024 at 19:07, paulrs said:

…..and Jill Scott lol

Roland Nilsson says hello