Teletext

Got fond memories of following the footy and all the Wednesday results on teletext 

That nervous wait for the page to change. It always seemed to take an age too and was like an adrenaline rush 

ClubCall was also ace. I think there's now an online version but doubt it's the same 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, IWEDFM said:

Got fond memories of following the footy and all the Wednesday results on teletext 

That nervous wait for the page to change. It always seemed to take an age too and was like an adrenaline rush 

ClubCall was also ace. I think there's now an online version but doubt it's the same 

You always knew that a goal had been scored in one of the games because the page would turn much earlier than normal, and then you'd have the anxious wait for the pages to turn again to find out that Wednesday had conceded.

I get a similar thing now with the Flashscore app on my phone: it comes up with a little flashing "BIG CHANCE!" icon next to a team's name, which is almost always a signifier that they've just scored, but you still have to wait until the score changes to confirm it. It's usually the quickest notification of a goal that I get too, because the info seems to come through quicker than even the live vidiprinter on Sky Sports channels.

1 hour ago, punkskaphil said:

You always knew that a goal had been scored in one of the games because the page would turn much earlier than normal, and then you'd have the anxious wait for the pages to turn again to find out that Wednesday had conceded.

I get a similar thing now with the Flashscore app on my phone: it comes up with a little flashing "BIG CHANCE!" icon next to a team's name, which is almost always a signifier that they've just scored, but you still have to wait until the score changes to confirm it. It's usually the quickest notification of a goal that I get too, because the info seems to come through quicker than even the live vidiprinter on Sky Sports channels.

Flashscore sounds decent, will check it out

One not too pleasant memory I have of Teletext is the 8-0 away at Newcastle

I remember having some school mates over and every time I checked teletext Shearer had scored again. I think he got 5 or 6 that day 

Feels like only yesterday 

When it was a single page of matches, you could UPD it, and then it flashed up in the corner when the page had changed because something had happened in the game.

Lot of nerves seeing that in the corner, only to be disappointed that it's half time and they've added H/T to the screen. 

14 minutes ago, Furious George said:

302 for class, 140 for sensationalist headlines and bank busting clubcall numbers. 

Then a quick nip over to Channel 4 to hook up with Bamber Boozle. 

Yes 302!!! haha

Simpler times 

Telleprinter on Final score was always good when you didn't know the score especially when they were away the team Wednesday were playing 0 then you'd wait for the spelling of Sheffield Wednesday shouting 1 1 1 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, owler66 said:

Telleprinter on Final score was always good when you didn't know the score especially when they were away the team Wednesday were playing 0 then you'd wait for the spelling of Sheffield Wednesday shouting 1 1 1 

Yep, also the 'around the grounds' segment on Grandstand 

I remember a game against Arsenal where we took the lead in the first couple of minutes and I spent the next hour and half refreshing the page on Teletext

10 year old me was excited that managed to hold on and win against the reigning champions although I was Id never heard of the goalscorer I assumed was that Bould OG was a new player we must have signed 

Edited by Miffed

I still miss it, always straight on 302 for the football when I got home from school, 390 for the regional football. 

Used to annoy everyone in our house with the Invision scores you could put on over the TV during matches. 

Also recommend Flashscore, great way to follow the scores and fixtures across all of football, even includes really obscure games.

7 hours ago, Furious George said:

302 for class, 140 for sensationalist headlines and bank busting clubcall numbers. 

😁😁😁
oh yes.

7 hours ago, Furious George said:

IMG_0193.png

• Love 1

welcome..................................... to...............................club...............................call................................................your .................................latest........................swfc.............................news........2mins pause.    wednesday........... are....................... linked...............with ............................ 5 mins pause...................... Attilio ............................ Lombardo click.

phone bill to club call £10

• Like 1

On 21/03/2024 at 05:58, IWEDFM said:

Used to love the club call teletext page, every club in the land was about to land a major signing imminently according to them 

On 21/03/2024 at 16:52, Furious George said:

Bamboozle! Now your talking

In Germany on exchange, I checked for the semi-final vs United. I missed the game because of the exchange and my brother got my ticket. I have never been so nervous checking ceefax. And then I ran around the house like a loony chanting "Wemb-er-lee, wemb-er-lee !" when I was we'd won.