Reece James - why not? What's the problem Danny?

torryowl

Who's better then? 

You are not comparing like 4 like. Reece James is the only proper left sided Defensive player we have. 

Who like many others from last year contributed to our promotion. 

Looking at Famewoo.... he is slower, but accept an option for left sided Centre Half. Not a left back as we know it. 

James looked fine when given an odd start despite never getting match fit, think he's good enough to do the lb job defensively at least and is more natural than delgado/famewo were there imo.

If James was lb think johnson could do a job on left of a 3 man midfield with bannan and vaulks (pol or palmer on right of midfield 3 if bannan out), but can't see it happening

• Like 2

Johnsons been one of our best players this season, whether playing LB or LWB.

James isn’t championship standard unfortunately, which is why he was Blackpools 3rd choice LB last season.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

S72 Owl

Reece James contributed to our promotion last year bud. He IS a better defensive left back than anyone we have tbh. Including Marv, who is NOT a defensive left sided defender and doesn't like playing there Danny. Em? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He's never been a regular anywhere. 

Even Darren Moore didn't pick him every week and he signed him. 

I can only think he doesn't fit the remit of a modern player, i.e really big and strong. 

Johnson has been awful defending. Yesterday giving up on players that's got away. 

He CAN put in real quality crosses yes. However no where near enough and defensively as last year he's a liability. 

Famewo and Johnson along with B Diaby... awful defensively. Fall asleep don't bust a gut to get their man if they pose them and can't turn quicker than titanic respectively.... 

Just cannot make sense of why we play these players anywhere near the defence. James is far better at LB and can cross a good ball. Danny has done wonders but unless we are short (which at times we have had to play players because we don't have options...) other than that ist been a reason why we have the terrible foals against. Basics!!! They cannot do the  basics. 

1 hour ago, S72 Owl said:

Johnsons been one of our best players this season, whether playing LB or LWB.

James isn’t championship standard unfortunately, which is why he was Blackpools 3rd choice LB last season.

So that's just wrong!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Reece James was a cracking left-sided centre back last season. He barely played left-back (as we didn't play a back 4) and didn't play left wing-back all too often.

If we are playing 5 at the back I wouldn't mind seeing him at LCB, but I think Johnson (or Palmer) are more natural left-backs than James.

Yes, James has played more games at League One level at LB, but I think Palmer and Johnson have actually played more times than him there at Championship-level.

• Like 2

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but if James isn’t getting a start I’m going to stick my neck out and guess that DR and his entire coaching staff are watching him day in and day out in training, assessing his performance, comparing that to others and deciding that he isn’t the best option. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, 1952Owl said:

I like others are puzzled why Danny picks him on subs bench, but has eliminated playing him. 

Looking at our average squad, Reece offers a proper left sided defensive option say in a back four. We all know how weak we have been down on right hand side. Marv is not a defender. 

I accept there are question marks about Reece James as to his ability in the Championship? But frankly, I don't think he can be any worse than what we are playing? 

Our goal difference is shocking and could send us down? When we play Away, we have to at least start the game with a tighter defence + midfield. We have 90 minutes to amend to more attacking. 

Reece James is deffo quicker than Famewoo!!!!!! 

Bang average league one left back

Go figure 😊

• Like 2

Although not left footed I always think Palmer offers more than James at left back if it’s a flat back four. Not going to put crosses in like Johnson, true but in that formation he adds a bit more physicality and is better at bringing the ball out of defence. Johnson is a left winger, tackling is not his best quality. James is a trier but has never held down a regular spot at Championship level.

Having said all that, I’m more concerned about the centre of midfield than the left side of defence. With Bannan now injured we are desperately short of cover and relying on a half fit Momo to partner Vaulks .

Why on earth was Byers loaned out?

• Like 1

People saying he was bang average in league one have some kind of memory impairment. 

James was very good last season. And I’m sure the player ratings on here would back that up. The period where him and Palmer played either side of McGuinness was our best period in several years, we looked excellent for a couple of months and he was consistently impressive.

I’m not going to guess what was going on in Xisco’s head when he played everyone bar James at left back… but from DR’s point of view I can only think he likes physicality in his full backs… whether it’s the pace of Valentin & Johnson or the strength of Iorfa & Famewo. I suppose James is neither one or the other and that seems to be counting against him.

• Like 3

Johnson overall has had a very good season bar a few games 

to be fair you could argue Johnson being a contender for player of the season 

granted tactically he’s become a bit exposed over the last few games but generally he’s been good.

so the question is why would you drop Johnson for James 

• Like 2