Reece James - why not? What's the problem Danny?

19 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

James is the best looking player in the squad with the best hair by some distance. It’s just jealousy that stops Danny from playing him. Which is fair enough IMO. 

Explains why Byers was moved on too :duntmatter:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, glynnb said:

Explains why Byers was moved on too :duntmatter:

100%. There is only room for one beautiful mane of luxurious hair at SWFC and that’s Danny’s. It’s no coincidence that Bannan is club captain…

• Haha 4

23 hours ago, torryowl said:

My guess would be that Röhl thinks others are better than james ......

We might as well close the site if the 'Röhl knows better' is a stock answer to everything now.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, SHUowl said:

We might as well close the site if the 'Röhl knows better' is a stock answer to everything now.

Bloke asked a question and I gave him what I think is the answer .....I might be wrong and theres other reasons the manager doesnt pick him  but I dont have clue what they could  be so couldn't answer any other way  .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, paulrs said:

People saying he was bang average in league one have some kind of memory impairment. 

James was very good last season. And I’m sure the player ratings on here would back that up. The period where him and Palmer played either side of McGuinness was our best period in several years, we looked excellent for a couple of months and he was consistently impressive.

I’m not going to guess what was going on in Xisco’s head when he played everyone bar James at left back… but from DR’s point of view I can only think he likes physicality in his full backs… whether it’s the pace of Valentin & Johnson or the strength of Iorfa & Famewo. I suppose James is neither one or the other and that seems to be counting against him.

Yes, he was up near the top last season:

Screenshot2024-03-18at15_33_48.png.8cd8a42fa2b6718e80e61d46a35eba36.png

Someone mentioned Pedersen!! 

Danny made a massive mistake playing an unfit player at Huddersfield when we got spanked. 

Then Pedersen is suddenly injured. 

Em? Was this another panic loan at the death because of the past connection he has with Danny's number 2?

The jury is out on Pedersen. 

Case 2b proven as to his value? 

My gutt feel is James better. 

OR as has been said..... 

Palmer can slot in on left defence or in midfield with Vaulks. 

Island Owl

Pedersen years back WAS a very good player. Teams that let players go.... have their reasons!!!!!!!  🙄

eg Fletcher from Watford!!!!!!!  🫣

6 hours ago, 1952Owl said:

Island Owl

Pedersen years back WAS a very good player. Teams that let players go.... have their reasons!!!!!!!  🙄

eg Fletcher from Watford!!!!!!!  🫣

Sure. Clubs always have reasons for letting players go. I’m sure we had a reason we let Byers go. I’ve no fùcking clue what it was though 🤷‍♂️

I think this is a bit of a case of the player who isn't in the team being raised to a level that he isn't because we haven't won the last two games.

I like Reece James, he'll always have a place in Wednesday fans hearts for last season and his part in the miracle. But he's not a Championship footballer. He's never held down a regular place in a Championship team. There will be a reason why Danny isn't picking him.

We as fans can talk about last season (where 99% of the time we played a 352 where James mostly played in a back 3), but that means nothing to Danny. It's similar to Palmer, he wasn't in the team before, everyone was talking about last season and how good Liam was but Danny had to judge him based on what he saw. Credit to Liam, he got back to full fitness and found his way back into the team.

I accept Marvin Johnson isn't really a left back, but I can see a reason why he'd play there ahead of James.

• Like 1

Why would Danny drop or move Johnson? He’s been outstanding.

The argument in this thread seems to be that Johnson was poor to meh against Leeds and Ipswich…..find me a player who wasn’t out of his depth in those two matches.Better players and better teams.

Thank Christ we’ve got him. 3 goals and 4 assists, from a defender! That’s absolute gold-dust in a team where even our forwards struggle to contribute, and our middle and defence don’t score at all. 

As for moving Marv further forward yes there’s some merit in that, but only because Gassy and Muzzy are so flippin’ frustrating - one game Ronaldo, next game Ronald McDonald. But I think Marv is a better player running forward with the ball rather than receiving the ball high up and marked. But it doesn’t matter what I think, what matters is that at LB/LWB Marv works. And in this team, in this season, if you find something that works, leave it the hell alone.

I like James, and if needed he’d do fine. Oddly for a shorter lad he was better at LCB than LB. But I have no doubt he’d be absolutely solid and do a job.

Pederson is an odd one. Fair pedigree but dire recent injury record, then thrown in without prep. I’m filing that in the “Danny is young” pile.

Edited by Holmowl

Posted (edited)

The List of weak non starters or subs we have is really poor, if we are honest 

Fletcher

Wilks 

Gregory apparently 

Smith arguably 

Hendricks

Reece James according to Danny

Bambo maybe? 

+

Delgado long term injury

+

Windass & Pato been out long term 

^^^^^ THAT'S 10 PLAYERS ABOVE!!!!!! 

Edited by 1952Owl

On 18/03/2024 at 11:02, fpowl said:

Johnson overall has had a very good season bar a few games 

to be fair you could argue Johnson being a contender for player of the season 

granted tactically he’s become a bit exposed over the last few games but generally he’s been good.

so the question is why would you drop Johnson for James 

Because we changed formation to a back 4 which Johnson looks lost in but suits James. Otherwise I’d agree Johnson over James, just not if you’re playing that system. 

The football league is full of players who look reasonable enough, but who never seem first pick anywhere.

Look at Jordan Thorniley. Went to Blackpool and now out of the picture at Oxford. There doesn't seem to be a deal wrong with him, to the untrained eye. Maybe managers see things we don't, as they all can't be wrong on players like Reece James.