Football’s best UTILITY players

On 12/01/2024 at 20:04, Bannofan said:

Ji-Sung Park.

One of my all time favourite Premier League players.

Sir Alex's go to man when a job needed doing anywhere on the pitch. Probably would have gone in goal if asked. 

I'd forgotten all about him.

He was a cracking player - the kind every team needs to help knit it all together.

I just checked Wikipedia to see where he'd played after leaving the Premier League, and apparently he was nicknamed 'three lung' Park on account of his endurance.

Did anyone ever actually call him that!?

:duntmatter:

Richard Paul Hinds (born 22 August 1980 in Sheffield, South Yorkshire) is an English footballer who most recently played as a defender for Llandudno in the Welsh Premier League. He is now a primary school teacher.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/01/2024 at 20:04, Bannofan said:

Ji-Sung Park.

One of my all time favourite Premier League players.

Sir Alex's go to man when a job needed doing anywhere on the pitch. Probably would have gone in goal if asked. 

Remember an interview with Ferguson saying he made a massive mistake in the CL final against Barca by not starting with Park.  He said he would have been able to stop Messi as Park would have stuck to him like glue.

3 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

Was fantastic for us at the end of his career, always thought he was a very underrated player

Indeed.

He was one of those players who I'd shrug my shoulders at before we signed him.

Ah, the utility player from Newcastle, Everton etc.

Gets here at about 35 and often looked a cut above. You could tell he was a player who'd spent most of his career in the Premier League.

I was there when we beat Leicester at the Walkers in a relegation decider. Watson was amazing that day. Scored, played in central midfield, then dropped into the middle of a back three. Excellent player.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

Indeed.

He was one of those players who I'd shrug my shoulders at before we signed him.

Ah, the utility player from Newcastle, Everton etc.

Gets here at about 35 and often looked a cut above. You could tell he was a player who'd spent most of his career in the Premier League.

I was there when we beat Leicester at the Walkers in a relegation decider. Watson was amazing that day. Scored, played in central midfield, then dropped into the middle of a back three. Excellent player.

Scored the winner against that lot as well, great finish

• Like 4

On 18/01/2024 at 12:40, Imre Varadi said:

Paul Madeley

i think anyone who saw him play would say so .........i think he played summat over 500 games for  leeds and was hardly ever  a regular in any position .

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

i think anyone who saw him play would say so .........i think he played summat over 500 games for  leeds and was hardly ever  a regular in any position .

And many England caps, too

For me, Milner is the only one who's come close to Madeley