Transfer Rumours January 2024 window

17 minutes ago, S1Owl said:

keep on as we are, maybe a few more but Bailey is worth a load of cash so he's best signing.. Others coming in could ruin the momentum

If you listen to Roehl he was clear that one of key requirements of anybody signing has to buy in what the squad is doing and mentality is a key requrement.

• Like 1

On Michael Smith it wasn’t just Rotherham we had to out bid, but Hull City so that’s two championship clubs willing to pay him. He was worth the money for promotion and has contributed this season too so I don’t see the issue and I’d keep him. If we go down there’s guaranteed goals. 

On Bailey I think it’s a huge ask to expect him to keep us up. He needs to remain the bonus/secret weapon and share the load with another. We can’t do what we did last January and rely on what we had only for injuries to nearly cost us everything 

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

That table for appearances is correct. But a player also gets points based on the quality of the League, providing  they have featured in the match day squad at least once. And the Bundesliga is a Band 1 competition which gains another 10 points.

So anyone playing 30-39% of games in the Bundesliga will have 16 points right away. 

There are also additional points based on where that team finished in the league last season. And performance in cup competitions.

The full criteria is published:

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/policies/player-registration/points-based-system#:~:text=Governing Body Endorsement Criteria and Forms&text=any match that has been organised by either the Premier,or manager's club to play.

15 hours ago, vulva said:

He’s on more than 10k a week. As is Ihekwe. 

As for Smith fetching 500k. Not. A. Prayer. 

What's your source for the salaries? I'd find it surprising we'd pay £10k+ a week for two players of upper League One/lower Championship standard when the only competition was Rotherham, who wouldn't pay anywhere near that.

As in you think we'd want more than £500k or we wouldn't get that?

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, lukeyswfc said:

Chansiris biggest problem.

Big wages for average players.

Smith and Ikky were rumoured to arrive on 10k with promotion bonuses.

Theyre probably both on the 13k+ wage with Palmer Vaulks Windass and Paterson with Bannan on his 20k. Hideous really.

Bannan has already called out claims of his salary as BS.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, lukeyswfc said:

Chansiris biggest problem.

Big wages for average players.

Smith and Ikky were rumoured to arrive on 10k with promotion bonuses.

Theyre probably both on the 13k+ wage with Palmer Vaulks Windass and Paterson with Bannan on his 20k. Hideous really.

I'm not sure the numbers are that high, but you're right Chansiri has always been generous with wages for to average, usually older players. 

Röhl has already indicated he wants younger players and think we will see a shift in strategy towards this profile player like Musaba, Gassama. I also think Cadamateri's impact has helped cement that strategy as realistic. 

That's not to throw the baby out with the bath water, still need a spine of experience in and around the team. But, I think we may value younger players and potential more highly under Röhl (and value past experience less). 

The goal for this window is to replace as much of  the deadwood  as possible with some quality. It can't all be done in one window and will need financial investment.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

What's your source for the salaries? I'd find it surprising we'd pay £10k+ a week for two players of upper League One/lower Championship standard when the only competition was Rotherham, who wouldn't pay anywhere near that.

As in you think we'd want more than £500k or we wouldn't get that?

https://www.capology.com/club/sheffield-wednesday/salaries/

There are numerous about. The above website states to be verified they have to have 2 plus sources.

This is just one site, although I will add I don’t fully believe some of the wages.

Then you have https://salarysport.com/football/championship/sheffield-wednesday/

which has a massive wage change on Hendricks.

The Star base theirs off of Football Manager

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/the-weekly-wage-of-every-sheffield-wednesday-player-according-to-football-manager-2024-4393546

they updated this 2 days ago

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-first-team-player-wages-according-to-fm24-4448440?page=8

Also here https://m.aiscore.com/salary/team-sheffield-wednesday-n527r3ixngf87ev

https://onefootball.com/fr/news/the-estimated-average-weekly-wage-of-a-sheffield-wednesday-player-in-the-202324-squad-37945842

you can start to see a trend that Windass Smith Ikky Bannan Paterson Vaulks and Palmer are on stupid amounts for their level of ability. Bannan at least has provided many many moments of being far and away our best player.

So while you may not believe it, various different sources all have roughly similar top end champ wages for average players. If true we vastly over pay for their level of ability.

Again, we don’t know how true these are but can only base our opinions around what we have available to us. This is provided just because you asked and not to cause an argument.

Edited by lukeyswfc
  • Thanks 4

12 hours ago, Bluesteel. said:

On Bailey I think it’s a huge ask to expect him to keep us up.

Normally with young players breaking into the first team it's good practice to give them a couple of games then rest them, then a few more and another rest. The big danger is to burn them out early.

Bailey is a big strong lad so he might need less rests than normal. I'm sure DR will do what is necessary but it's unfair of fans to expect the lad to play every game.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

I always take rumoured wages with a pinch of salt but i actually got told about Smith and Ihiekwe from a good source and it matches up with the rumours. 

I got told by someone well connected with Rotherham at that time that they were desperate to keep hold of Smith and offered 8k-10k in the end to try and keep him which would've made him Rotherham's highest ever paid player, not sure wether that was strictly basic or with bonuses. 

Footballtyper broke the news about them coming IIRC and then the MI deal went quiet. Well Ihiekwe didn't know what to do he pulled out originally of signing here and said he'd re-sign at Rotherham and play championship football, Rotherham thought they had the deal done for him to re-sign then he did a huge u-turn last minute and signed here with Smith which angered the Rotherham management.... 

The reason they are on decent wages is because neither commanded a fee and was in demand, it's common practice to give them slightly higher wages. Smith was linked with Middlesbrough and Bristol City that season and it was touted over 1 million for him. We got him for around 10k a week for 20 goals at League 1 without a fee on top.

Edited by Lucas Joao's Tooth
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

14 hours ago, Bluesteel. said:

On Michael Smith it wasn’t just Rotherham we had to out bid, but Hull City so that’s two championship clubs willing to pay him. He was worth the money for promotion and has contributed this season too so I don’t see the issue and I’d keep him. If we go down there’s guaranteed goals. 

On Bailey I think it’s a huge ask to expect him to keep us up. He needs to remain the bonus/secret weapon and share the load with another. We can’t do what we did last January and rely on what we had only for injuries to nearly cost us everything 

Yep

I'm sure lessons will be learned in the boardroom....this time....

15 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Being a keeper , i Hope his hands are bigger than his dad's. 

I went to university with a fella whose mum was a physiotherapist and she had Jeremy Beadle as a client. Apparently, one of the exercises they used to do was catching and throwing a ball. 

Just like keeper training.

True story 

4 hours ago, lukeyswfc said:

https://www.capology.com/club/sheffield-wednesday/salaries/

There are numerous about. The above website states to be verified they have to have 2 plus sources.

This is just one site, although I will add I don’t fully believe some of the wages.

Then you have https://salarysport.com/football/championship/sheffield-wednesday/

which has a massive wage change on Hendricks.

The Star base theirs off of Football Manager

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/the-weekly-wage-of-every-sheffield-wednesday-player-according-to-football-manager-2024-4393546

they updated this 2 days ago

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-first-team-player-wages-according-to-fm24-4448440?page=8

Also here https://m.aiscore.com/salary/team-sheffield-wednesday-n527r3ixngf87ev

https://onefootball.com/fr/news/the-estimated-average-weekly-wage-of-a-sheffield-wednesday-player-in-the-202324-squad-37945842

you can start to see a trend that Windass Smith Ikky Bannan Paterson Vaulks and Palmer are on stupid amounts for their level of ability. Bannan at least has provided many many moments of being far and away our best player.

So while you may not believe it, various different sources all have roughly similar top end champ wages for average players. If true we vastly over pay for their level of ability.

Again, we don’t know how true these are but can only base our opinions around what we have available to us. This is provided just because you asked and not to cause an argument.

Thanks, very interesting and informative post - always interested to know where stuff like this comes from.

Capology are pretty vague with their sources - web, news, social, industry experts, and a network of sources. But, they're probably collating the best of the information in the public domain - a lot of which I'd expect to be guesswork.

Reason I asked for sources is that Bannan himself, in an interview last year, stated the salary posted on social media and in the press for him were well above reality. You don't get a better source than the guy who is the primary bank account holder for where the salary lands! 😀 Going out on a limb, if Bannan says the salary posted in public for him is well off, I'd suspect that's common for most players.

The reports at the time was Bannan was on £20k a week. If he says that's well above reality, we can probably assume he's closer to £12-15k. And if that's the case, paying Smith and Ihiekwe £17k and £15k respectively - as per the Capology data - would be more than insane.

The Capology site states our current playing staff wage bill is £14.5m per annum. The last published Wednesday wage bill I can find is £10.9m; it's from 2022 (via the Star who I assume got it from the accounts). We let 6 first team players go in the summer, and signed 12 players. The likes of Gassama, M. Diaby, Valentin, and Delgado are on relative buttons - £3k a week is the highest salary out of those lot according to Capology. They alone would contribute less than £500k per annum to the wage bill. Add, the chances of paying Fletcher and Hendricks wages in full is highly unlikely. I don't see where the near 30% increase in wages has come.

Also, would AC Milan's Columbian international GK be on a third of Michael Smith's salary? Callum Paterson on 3 times that of George Byers? If our players were on the sort of money reported, would our summer recruits really have signed for relative peanuts (Reeces James and Juan Delgado - experienced pros - on less than £7k a week between them)?! John Buckley on £5k a week? Blackburn loaned him out to reduce their outgoings - £5k a week probably barely covers Rovers' energy bills!

One thing we can agree on, if these are close to the real salaries, come of our lads are well overpaid! 😆