Transfer Rumours January 2024 window

Just scooted onto the Oxford forum and unfortunately they have fallen in love with a loan player. Its wall to wall praise. And they are now shxttxng themselves..

'He's insanely good. Like we are watching a future Premiership and England mainstay develop before our eyes. He has every attribute you want in a keeper. Height, command of defence, shot stopping, claiming crosses, distribution.'

Go on then, I'll have one!

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, Lucas Joao's Tooth said:

Smith's on more than 10k a week here. 

I know for fact Rotherham offered him their highest ever salary at that time which was 8-10k and he chose to come here for financial reasons and we've been promoted since. 

We'd get 500k max for a double figure striker, who last got us 20 in league 1, if we get relegated we're just going to strengthen a rival. 

Crossroads moment personally unless we plan to bring 2 strikers in I'd keep him until the summer minimum and re-asses, he is different to what we've got, doesn't suit the style of Röhl but coming off the bench he can still offer us something regardless. 

Only thing that concerns me about Smith is whether he’s got the fitness to play in Röhl’s system. Two months of it and he’s missed one. It begs the question of if this is how it’s going to be should we look to move him on now? That said I like him and I still think he’ll finish our Top Scorer should he play enough games.

2 minutes ago, Nero said:

Just scooted onto the Oxford forum and unfortunately they have fallen in love with a loan player. Its wall to wall praise. And they are now shxttxng themselves..

'He's insanely good. Like we are watching a future Premiership and England mainstay develop before our eyes. He has every attribute you want in a keeper. Height, command of defence, shot stopping, claiming crosses, distribution.'

Yeah my Brighton in laws have talked about how he's a decent player. 

It makes sense to try and get him to us on loan for rest of the season, as if we somehow stayed up we could be first in line to loan him again for a season when he could be the England u21 keeper.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

A mate who supports Rotherham claims he was on £3k a week at Rotherham and they offered him £5k after promotion - on a 2 year contract. Maybe our offer of 3 years was the "financial reason" element?

If we've given Smith £10k a week, with all due to respect to ourselves and Smith, we're f*cking stupid! 😆

He’s on more than 10k a week. As is Ihekwe. 

As for Smith fetching 500k. Not. A. Prayer. 

• Like 2

The link to Jeremy looks like it’s the end of the road for Vasquez which would also suggest to me that his none playing may be financial/contractual as he’s looking to get a keeper in that will be expected to play.

As for players out we have to get as many as we can for whatever we can. People talking 500k for smith, if we can get someone to take him for nothing permanently to get him off the wage budget we have too. If Windass and Byers aren’t signing contracts then sell them for what we can get.

we can’t keep losing players for nothing and having a big turn over in the summer every year.

• Like 1

I really hope if we sign players from the German leagues we can have multiple threads on the correct pronunciation of their names, as well as have someone dedicated to correcting posters as and when they either mid-use or omit the “omelette”.

Would anyone like to volunteer?

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I think a few on here are much more pessimistic than me on moving Smith on (if we chose to) on decent terms. 

January Window is when desperate clubs do their business, ourselves clearly included. Smith has scored 20+ goals in both of his most recent two seasons in League. Both of those clubs got promoted. Players like that are not available often, and clubs desperately needing goals will take bigger gambles on signings in the JTW. 

500k and us subsidising a bit of his contract, or a lower fee and the buyer taking the whole contract on…if he’s not in Röhl’s plans, I’d say there is 100% a deal to be done. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, vulva said:

He’s on more than 10k a week. As is Ihekwe. 

As for Smith fetching 500k. Not. A. Prayer. 

I remember when he joined Rotherham had offered him and Ihiekwe wages of around £10,000 per week. It was reported our offer was around £12,000 per week. Rotherham thought they had clinched deal and had announced they were staying ony to find they signed for us the next day. 
Smith will definitely not be in long term plans is unsuitable to the way Roehl wants to play. He does not have ace or running power for the pressing game. I could see him being brought on in lst few minutes if we are launching ball long and we want to win ball in air in final third but that is it.

If we are struggling to get players out and someone makes offer could see him going. Think it woud be nominal fee.

1 hour ago, Nero said:

This sounds solid rumour to me. He fits profile of the type of player Roehl & Beadell would go for. He his getting rave reviews for his performances. Bibbo was his coach at Brighton so knows all about him and knows how he compares with Wednesday keepers. Dawson has been ok but has not stood out and Vasquez is unsuitable for this league. We need better and this chap could be it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vulva said:

Can people stop saying we will get 500k to Smith. It’s starting to annoy me. 

I said nominal fee, do not think we would get that, league 1 teams find hard to cover his wages let alone stumping up sizeable fee. Taking his wage off books would be significant help.

1 hour ago, Nero said:

Not better than Dawson though.

Dawsons one of our own you know. Never to be replaced

• Like 1