Lewis Hall - £35mil

I think we all have to get used to Premier league transfer amounts again as the bar for average players has jumped up by £10m at least.

He may not be worth it but it wont really be an issue for Newcastle anyway. Taking him on loan with an obligation to buy then spread the cost over about 6 years. 

Although i've seen Hall play and he looks like he could be tremendous. England's future left back?

Yeah. the Premier League just leaves me cold these days. Dont get me wrong, I dont want us to be back in League 1 but the thought of us being a Luton and getting smashed every week but it being ok because we've got £160m in the bank isnt how i thought football would turn out

• Like 2

Premier league transfers for clubs like the Manchester clubs, Liverpool, Chelsea , Arsenal is turning into a bit of who's got the biggest balls. One bids a 100 million so another bids 101.

1 hour ago, lukeyswfc said:

It is crackers - but they’re paying for the potential and will spread the cost over many years so won’t affect FFP.

If he doesn’t progress they’ll lose some money but £28m currently to them is nowt.

Different worlds.

For a lot of teams it's a considered buy for them it's a punt

Arsenal paid £5mil rising to £12mil for Walcott in 2006

Spurs paid £5mil rising to £10mil for Bale in 2007.

Both had played a handful of games (Possibly most/all in the Division below).

It sounds a lot of money for someone who's played 9 career games, but had he played a full season (And had a stormer) he'd be worth double/triple that.

Lewis Hall made his senior Chelsea debut in an FA Cup victory over Chesterfield in January 2022

Newcastle have agreed to sign Chelsea's Lewis Hall on an initial loan deal and will buy the player next summer.

The 18-year-old made his Premier League debut for the Blues in a 1-0 defeat at Newcastle in November 2022.

Hall will move to St James' Park on loan now, and a fee of £28m plus £7m in add-ons to sign him permanently will be activated next summer.

"He's a player I like - very versatile with really good potential," said Newcastle manager Eddie Howe.

Speaking before the deal was confirmed, Howe added that if Hall joined the Magpies he would be the last player they signed this summer, unless there were injuries. 

The deal for academy graduate Hall also includes a sell-on clause for Chelsea should he leave Newcastle.

The England Under-21 international is best known for playing as a left-back but has also featured on the wing and in midfield during his time at Stamford Bridge.

He made 11 appearances for Chelsea across all competitions last season, including nine in the Premier League, and is the club's Academy Player of the Year for 2023.

New Chelsea boss Mauricio Pochettino has overhauled the squad this summer, allowing 13 players to leave permanently, while four have gone on loan.

Meanwhile, Newcastle have spent in the region of £130m on Sandro Tonali, Harvey Barnes, Tino Livramento and Yankuba Minteh this summer.

I think I read that, as an academy product, Chelsea get to bank the whole of the fee this year rather than over the length of his new contract so frees up more FFP space for them.

I suspect the biggest spenders will

be selling more of their academy products to lessen the potential of breaching FFP.

3 hours ago, andrew1974 said:

Yeah. the Premier LeNobodyague just leaves me cold these days. Dont get me wrong, I dont want us to be back in League 1 but the thought of us being a Luton and getting smashed every week but it being ok because we've got £160m in the bank isnt how i thought football would turn out

Nobody hates the situation more than me but getting promoted to the PL would make us a sustainable club provided we are sensible .  It beats bouncing between the third and second divisions for 20 years.I would take getting beat every week if it meant our club has a future.  Currently we lurch from week to week never knowing if there will even be a SWFC in the future.

15 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

Nobody hates the situation more than me but getting promoted to the PL would make us a sustainable club provided we are sensible .  It beats bouncing between the third and second divisions for 20 years.I would take getting beat every week if it meant our club has a future.  Currently we lurch from week to week never knowing if there will even be a SWFC in the future.

No we don’t 

Saudi has links with Clearlake Capital.

Clearlake Capital has links with Chelsea.

Plenty of back scratching going on here.

Football at the very top level is nothing more than a money laundering exercise. 

• Like 4

Newcastle United have signed 18-year-old Chelsea defender Lewis Hall on loan and will make the deal permanent next summer.

The England Under-21 international made his Premier League debut for Chelsea in a 1-0 defeat at Newcastle in November.

A fee of £28m plus £7m in add-ons will be activated at the end of the season.

He made 11 appearances in all competitions last season, including nine in the league, and was Chelsea's Academy Player of the Year in 2023.

Who is he? I mean $35m for someone who played 9 games. Really? 

52 minutes ago, Rogers said:

Newcastle United have signed 18-year-old Chelsea defender Lewis Hall on loan and will make the deal permanent next summer.

The England Under-21 international made his Premier League debut for Chelsea in a 1-0 defeat at Newcastle in November.

A fee of £28m plus £7m in add-ons will be activated at the end of the season.

He made 11 appearances in all competitions last season, including nine in the league, and was Chelsea's Academy Player of the Year in 2023.

Who is he? I mean $35m for someone who played 9 games. Really? 

Was already a thread on him so I've merged them together for you.

• Thanks 1

If he does well, then Newcastle have undoubtedly got themselves a bargain.

And if it doesn’t work out, then Newcastle have lost £35million, which, for them, by comparison, is probably little more than the proverbial wee in the ocean