Non-League Football

23 hours ago, alanharper said:

Pascal Chimbonda appointed manager of bottom of the 9th tier Skelmersdale United.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67116874

Am I missing summat or do they have a somewhat overinflated opinion of themselves? 

"It is a great honour to become manager of a club with a history as rich as that of Skelmersdale United Football Club."

""We are extremely pleased to announce that Pascal has agreed to join one of the most prestigious clubs in non-league football," said Skelmersdale United chairman Frank Hughes."

My son plays for Wythenshawe, u18 and open age reserves. The first team beat Skem 5-0 away on Saturday. 

Skem play at Burscough. The first team also played Burscough away last Tuesday, won 3-1. Three weeks ago the u18's beat Burscough 6-1 away. Burscough, Burscough, Burscough. 

On Wednesday the u18's are away at Farsley Celtic in the FA Youth Cup, not at Burscough. They beat Halifax Town on pens in the previous round, Southport the round before and Irlam in the first preliminary qualifying round. 

My son's best mate won the FA Youth Cup last season. He came to watch the Irlam tie, didn't being his winners medal. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mcmigo said:

these guys play some great football.

the first goal is liquid football in Alan partridge speak . We would be booing the team for not getting it forwards after the 8th pass !

They are one of the main teams I follow non league wise after living up in Newcastle during my Uni years. Super little club. 

1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

I know Hallam FC have a really bad injury crisis at them moment but hope this doesn't happen.
He could have got away with it at 43 but surely not 63.

Only 10 fit players for Hallam now, they were wrecked by Stocksbridge when they went down to 10. Made a mistake not going defensive, understand that Denton likes to always go for the throat but against a higher league club (albeit one out of form) but it left them very exposed and Stocksbridge could have easily got to 6 or 7.

15 hours ago, Nut said:

I'm off to watch Whitby Town tonight in the FA Cup. If they win this replay, they play Bristol Rovers away in the first round proper. 

I went to the game down here on Saturday which finished 2-2. Have to say Whitby may be a league below Chelmo but they were a class above on the pitch and it sounds pretty much the same last night. Unfortunately, we have a bloody hopeless manager and a totally absentee chairman; all sound familiar?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fredmciverslovechild said:

I went to the game down here on Saturday which finished 2-2. Have to say Whitby may be a league below Chelmo but they were a class above on the pitch and it sounds pretty much the same last night. Unfortunately, we have a bloody hopeless manager and a totally absentee chairman; all sound familiar?

Yes, Whitby played really well in the first half and were 2 up at half time, but really the game should have been over by then. Chelmsford came into it in the second half and you could sense a goal was coming, but once they scored, they didn't capitalise. Whitby scored the third in injury time and there was a pitch invasion, then another at full time. It was a great atmosphere, and the Whitby fans were singing 'We're All Whitby Aren't We' 😃

Having lived in Chester the last five years, and now recently moved to Runcorn...

Thought I'd check out the local club, Runcorn Linnets FC. 

Great set up, food and drink wise. Pitch looks fine and the small stands will be a welcome sight at K.O.

£20 spent so far for my bus return, match ticket, and two Madri. 

IMG20231104131536.jpg

IMG20231104131528.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, mattowl1867 said:

Having lived in Chester the last five years, and now recently moved to Runcorn...

Thought I'd check out the local club, Runcorn Linnets FC. 

Great set up, food and drink wise. Pitch looks fine and the small stands will be a welcome sight at K.O.

£20 spent so far for my bus return, match ticket, and two Madri. 

IMG20231104131536.jpg

IMG20231104131528.jpg

Is Dale Jennings still playing there?

1 hour ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

Been some excellent performances by clubs in the 7th and 8th tier in the FA Cup this weekend.

Brilliant from Cray Valley Paper Mills just now, could have won it, same step on the ladder as Sheffield FC.

Just been looking them up. Not only have they now played 9 games in the FA Cup, they've also played 4 in the FA Trophy. They've only played 5 league games, and have 6 games in hand over one team in their division!

• Love 1

My mate is involved at Cray Valley so I went along with him to the game yesterday, insane atmosphere in the away end and a great result for the club

Hopefully going to get tickets for the replay.

They reckon Charlton are only gonna get 100 tickets.

• Like 3

Was at Banbury United v Scunthorpe last night. Jacob Butterfield opened the scoring with a 20 odd yarder for Scunthorpe, in a 2 nil away win. They look a very good side at NLN level, as you'd expect. I don't know how accurate this is but I did hear from someone who works in sports agency that Scunthorpe's three strikers wages are more than Banbury's wage budget per week, Banbury do have one of the lowest budgets in the league, despite the Chairman saying different.

I would expect Scunthorpe to be in the top 2, I'd expect Tamworth to drop off. Its a pretty open league this year. Banbury should have enough to stop up, Darlington are bottom of the league, currently. South Shields are doing well under Julio Arca, think they've got a good budget.

• Like 3