Premier League 23/24

15 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

But the ongoing silence about it while other clubs are receiving deductions stinks.

Appreciate what you mean in terms of complexity. I just find it hard to stomach.

The rest of football should collectively tell them to f*ck off. Honestly, if we lived in a more interesting world where collective action was more viable, Forest and Everton (and others) should both refuse to fulfill the season. Disrupt the integrity of the league as much as they can. Make it a farce. 

Instead from what I can see Everton are more interested in moaning that they don’t think Forest’s punishment is harsh enough, and I’m almost certain that’s by design. Nobody cares if Everton and Forest are taking swings at each other. Doesn’t change anything about the elite clubs or THE BEST LEAGUE IN THE WORLD.

I think they’ve lost complete control of the lot of it, and this all just looks like aimless swinging about in the dark.

Honestly, I think, regardless of the outcome, the brand of the Premier League will be damaged for a long time. 

If City are found guilty, then the dominate team of the last decade broke the rules to win several league titles. 

If City are found not guilty, then the perception will be they got away with it. 

The horse bolted on all this stuff decades ago.

In 2003, the Premier League and its associated partners welcomed a Russian Oligarch into the league with untold riches.

He bankrolled Chelsea with money effectively handed to him due to the breakdown of the Soviet Union. The only reason Roman was allowed to be who he was is because Putin allowed and continues to allow it, and he would have been locked up in jail had he ever defied him. 

It was sport washing, but people thought it was the best thing ever and were happy to along with it. 

Several years later, Abu Dhabi buy Man City and they take the whole thing to another level. 

The whole thing has been a farce for years. 

I'm also not particularly fond of having a load of American venture capitalists owning around half the Premier League clubs. 

• Like 2

City's case is scheduled to go to trial this autumn, with the verdict not due until Summer 2025. Believe a big part of it (and a great number of the charges) are down to City not cooperating with the investigation.

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

Honestly, I think, regardless of the outcome, the brand of the Premier League will be damaged for a long time. 

If City are found guilty, then the dominate team of the last decade broke the rules to win several league titles. 

If City are found not guilty, then the perception will be they got away with it. 

The horse bolted on all this stuff decades ago.

In 2003, the Premier League and its associated partners welcomed a Russian Oligarch into the league with untold riches.

He bankrolled Chelsea with money effectively handed to him due to the breakdown of the Soviet Union. The only reason Roman was allowed to be who he was is because Putin allowed and continues to allow it, and he would have been locked up in jail had he ever defied him. 

It was sport washing, but people thought it was the best thing ever and were happy to along with it. 

Several years later, Abu Dhabi buy Man City and they take the whole thing to another level. 

The whole thing has been a farce for years. 

I'm also not particularly fond of having a load of American venture capitalists owning around half the Premier League clubs. 

Completely agree with all of this.

i read an article that suggested part of Abramovic reason for owning Chelsea was to make his profile so high it would be difficult for Putin and co to off him. 

Not sure how true that is though. They don’t seem to have much consideration to global opinion when it comes to getting rid of “enemies”. 

Americans will be the ones to push the structural changes. It’s somehow forgotten that it was the owners of Liverpool and United who cooked up the latest incarnation of the super league.

Somehow it’s been twisted that they stopped Juve, Barca and Madrid creating it. Of all the money clubs only Abramovic voiced his dissatisfaction with it (he still agreed though).

3 hours ago, J. Bauer said:

Believe a big part of it (and a great number of the charges) are down to City not cooperating with the investigation.

Haha, of course.

I genuinely think this will go some way to deciding how much I can be arsed with the top end of the game. If City get away with this - by which I mean anything less than being stripped of their titles and booted out of the Prem, even just being relegated to the EFL is pushing it - then I don't see what the point is. Green light to Newcastle and anyone else the oil states want to buy up. Crack on.

• Like 1

People getting worked up over City make me laugh.

They're all at it. And remember, the Premier League IS the clubs, its not a separate entity. So, why do you think it's taking so long to look into punishments? It's because they all know that they're all at it.

The whole system is a mess, and as mentioned above the horse bolted long, long ago.

• Like 2

Just now, sheffield_dave said:

Whole thing is genuinely farcical. 

I just find it hilarious that a league that has spent decades tugging itself off over how much money it has/spends is now trying to crack the whip with respect to club finances. 

So, we can assume if Leicester go up this season they will start with a points deduction. You've got to imagine there are a host of other clubs panicking about this next season too. 

All the while the defending champions and the dominant team of the last decade continue with 115 charges hanging over their head. 

Who knows, if this is the thing that sees the Premier League unravel, then I'm all for it. 

• Like 2

On 18/03/2024 at 15:52, lukeyswfc said:

This is the first season in prem history that a deduction isn’t an issue.

Thats how bad the 3 promoted sides have been.

Theyre all hoping these decisions are bigger to give them hope.

Looks like 28 might keep you up 🥶

And typically, after clubs have been relegated from the Championship as a direct result of points deductions in each of the last four seasons, there's no sign of anybody getting one now when we could do with one to help us out! 

• Like 1

Get Leicester convicted and we can say 2016 didn't exist.

Go after Blackburn next - cuz they bought the title don't you know - and 1995 won't exist

And that leaves who else......................?

image.thumb.png.f3c539c785117bd1a47d3a1b37b4c01f.png

It's a complete mess. 

How do Chelsea and Man City get away with it? I'm not one of those screaming for City to be stripped of their titles but seriously how can they spend what they have yet teams like Everton, Forest, Leicester be punished.

Even Newcastle have billions (apparently) ready to spend but say they can't due to these restrictions.

Did City get the money at the right time, therefore built that foundation? Same with Chelsea and the Abramovic era. 

Football is a complete mess at the top level.

I think the only way you can solve this in the Premier League is a hard salary cap like they do in the US sports.

Will never happen though they’ll be terrified of the players leaving for Saudi.

Ideally UEFA do it as a condition of entry for the Champions League across Europe but also unlikely 

22 hours ago, MotherGoose said:

I think the only way you can solve this in the Premier League is a hard salary cap like they do in the US sports.

Will never happen though they’ll be terrified of the players leaving for Saudi.

Ideally UEFA do it as a condition of entry for the Champions League across Europe but also unlikely 

I agree this is the way to go for squads (certainly witihn UEFA clubs) but what would the limits and thresholds be? Needs to be low enough that Man City / PSG / Newcastle can't hoover up the best players but high enough to stop a mass exodus to Saudi / China etc.

Also, if the cap is revenue based then the Man Utd's / Real Madrid's again have the advantage over smaller teams much like they do now.

Maybe a squad salary cap but exemptions made for 3 consecutive years in every 10 where a rich owner can spend what he / she likes as long as they put up a bond that covers expenditure? 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Owl_For_a_Lifetime

22 hours ago, scram said:

It doesn't need a salary cap

It needs fiscal responsibility from clubs

Good luck with that.

Not that I particularly agree with clubs being bought by oil states but you can argue that they are spending ‘responsibly’ because they have unlimited funds. 

FFP/P&S was originally created to stop clubs spending more than they have. Well, that doesn’t apply when you’re owned by a country. 

It’s not fair to clubs that aren’t state backed. But that a whole different question. 

49 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Sounds like Tonali was also betting on games after joining Newcastle 

Couldn't make it up. 

Also a bit sad, as it's clear the lad has got a severe problem. 

• Like 1