We’ve gone 99 years but a trophy ain’t won

"After talks with Marseille's president, Iliman Ndiaye has changed his mind and has decided he now wants to join Marseille. The French club still have to negotiate with Sheffield United, which will be difficult as no one at the club can speak French...or fluent English.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, MF TAZ said:

Are we really sitting here in utter shambles making fun of their shambles 

Like I’m up for it 

It’s hilarious 

but *gestures loudly at everything* 

ya know 

I know but 99 years is ridiculous. I don't think they've ever won at Wembley in my lifetime either. In that time we've won the league cup, won 3 times at Wembley plus once more at millennium stadium. No matter how bad it gets for us they'll never experience owt other than the odd decent win at bumhole lane

1 minute ago, BIG D said:

Seen us win at the old Wembley

Seen us win at the new Wembley

Seen us win at Cardiff

Seen us play in Europe

Seen us beat them at Wembley in the FA Cup

Seen us beat them in the League Cup

+ of course, seen us win a major trophy

3 hours ago, BIG D said:

Seen us win at Cardiff

Seen us play in Europe

All them and seen us beat them 4-0. lol

• Haha 1

So they've only signed 2 new players? Not sure how good they are

Their squad is looking extremely weak for the Prem. Even the likes of Bournemouth and Burnley who you would expect to be down there this season have recruited well and Forest have made a decent signing in Elanga. Even without wearing the blue and white tinted specs you have got to say they look nailed on to go down

18 hours ago, BIG D said:

Seen us win at Cardiff

Seen us play in Europe

And the Simod (?) Cup before, I think a record crowd for the competition. Talking of record crowds I've seen us beat them 4-0 before the record third tier crowd as well.

On 14/07/2023 at 11:15, alanharper said:

Well according to some of them we've gone nearly as long, because the League Cup doesn't count as a major trophy to them, even though it clearly is and even the big clubs took it seriously in those days - their deluded rationale seems to be that clubs like Luton and Oxford won it in the 80s so it can't be much good. Obviously that must mean that the FA Cup is pointless as well given that Wimbledon and Coventry won it around that time but they don't really do facts and logic.

Somehow I think that if they somehow sneak a league cup win next year it'll suddenly be a major trophy again...

Any of our lot saying that is talking b0110cks. Of course it's a major honour.

Unfortunately, football has changed dramatically over the past few decades, the big boys have truly pulled away and i think it could well be the last major honour that ANY Sheffield team wins... certainly in our lifetimes - unless one of us gets a lucky draw all the way through to the final.... or a major takeover occurs, and by that, i mean a proper one like Man City/Newcastle.

In the last 15 years, here are the winners of both domestic cups (combined):

Man City (9)

Chelsea (5)

Man Utd (5)

Arsenal (4)

Liverpool (3)

Swansea (1)

Birmingham (1)

Leicester (1)

Wigan (1)

4 cups out of 30 that haven't gone to the big 5.

Just now, Class of 91 said:

Any of our lot saying that is talking b0110cks. Of course it's a major honour.

Unfortunately, football has changed dramatically over the past few decades, the big boys have truly pulled away and i think it could well be the last major honour that ANY Sheffield team wins... certainly in our lifetimes - unless one of us gets a lucky draw all the way through to the final.... or a major takeover occurs, and by that, i mean a proper one like Man City/Newcastle.

In the last 15 years, here are the winners of both domestic cups (combined):

Man City (9)

Chelsea (5)

Man Utd (5)

Arsenal (4)

Liverpool (3)

Swansea (1)

Birmingham (1)

Leicester (1)

Wigan (1)

4 cups out of 30 that haven't gone to the big 5.

Tbf, I don't think it's that much better if you extend that back to the start of the Premier League. 

Admittedly, the likes of say Chelsea (who won stuff in the 90s) were not a massive club like they are now, but still. 

Think Villa have won one major trophy since the PL started (league cup?) Everton won the FA Cup in 1995. 

Spurs have only won two league cups? 

Leicester picked up a few league cups in the late 90s and early 00s?