Anthony Taylor

You can certainly see why there is a big shortage of refs at grassroots level. 

Parents who think they are Klopp screaming abuse at refs, who are often young adults themselves. 

The FA needs to get a proper grip on this before it undermines our game. They can start by no longer going soft on celebrity managers and begin dishing out hefty punishments. Only a matter of time until a ref gets seriously assaulted. 

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of Anthony Taylor as a ref (still remember he was going to give the goal when he allowed Leeds to take a corner whilst we were making a substitution!), but I watched the game and I don't remember him doing anything particularly wrong, although to be fair it was a poor match and I ended up with it being more like background noise! He rightly overturned the penalty he initially awarded to Roma after checking on the VAR screen, is that where all the mardiness came from? Then with the final penalty that was VAR that awarded a retake, so again not really the ref's decision. As is always the case, I'm sure that whatever irked Mourinho during the game would've quickly been forgotten if they'd actually won the shootout!

29 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

I bang on about it a fair bit, but rugby is the shining and obvious example. 

Fast paced game, all about aggression and physicality, some monsters play it, all show respect and call the ref sir, captains only to ask questions, and dissent is off you trot son. 

Refs are microphoned up and quite transparent with communication too. The officiating is what football should strive to emulate imo and would make the game 10x better

Nothing to stop refs booking players more for dissent. They hardly ever do that. 

As we saw on Monday, part of the problem is some people simply can't accept that they lost a game of football. 

If it's a final, then someone is going to lose, that's how it works. 

But people can't accept that. Instead, it's the ref's fault, or it's a conspiracy by the authorities to keep their club down and deny them the title. You then throw in social media, this culture of instant gratification. 

It's complete and utter rubbish. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, owls maniac said:

You can certainly see why there is a big shortage of refs at grassroots level. 

Parents who think they are Klopp screaming abuse at refs, who are often young adults themselves. 

The FA needs to get a proper grip on this before it undermines our game. They can start by no longer going soft on celebrity managers and begin dishing out hefty punishments. Only a matter of time until a ref gets seriously assaulted. 

I was working at an u18 academy match. 

One of the teams was "coached" by a fairly prominent ex PL defender

He spent the entire match screaming at the linesman  who was running the line next to him

"You useless little c*nt" - "you blind f*cking idiot" etc etc 

The lino was from a refs academy run by the county FA to encourage youngsters to take up reffing

He was about 14 and look so miserable and dejected. 

The ref and opposition bench (mt team) both spoke to the coach and called him out but he didn't wanna know

We just kept on encouraging the lino and trying to lift his spirits

And this was the controlled environment of a professional football club regulated academy

I doubt the lino continued for long

3 minutes ago, scram said:

He spent the entire match screaming at the linesman  who was running the line next to him

The lino was from a refs academy run by the county FA to encourage youngsters to take up reffing

The ref and opposition bench (mt team) both spoke to the coach and called him out but he didn't wanna know

And this was the controlled environment of a professional football club regulated academy

Shocking and sad.

Should be more awards for sportsmanship and integrity within the game.

12 minutes ago, scram said:

Welsh international?

1 hour ago, scram said:

That’s horrendous.

You would have to be some kind of pathetic coward to abuse a 14 year old. 

Ultimately it will be the development of players impacted when there is no one wanting to ref games. 

10 hours ago, fudge27 said:

I bang on about it a fair bit, but rugby is the shining and obvious example. 

Fast paced game, all about aggression and physicality, some monsters play it, all show respect and call the ref sir, captains only to ask questions, and dissent is off you trot son. 

Refs are microphoned up and quite transparent with communication too. The officiating is what football should strive to emulate imo and would make the game 10x better

Thing is with rugby, if a decision goes against you you can take it out on the nearest player, or smack someone or kick em in a scrum. Or smash into em full pelt. That gets the frustration out. There's nowhere fir the frustration to go on a football pitch. I'm convinced that this is a large part of why respect to rugby refs is possible. There are other reasons too. 

9 hours ago, scram said:

No he's English but he wasn't an international

He needs naming and shaming pal, not suggesting you do it on here but clowns like that need outing.

Roma fans are scumbags in general and dont need the encouragement from Mourinho to show their true selves .

He was reported to the FA

Not much else you can do in those circumstances short of getting involved in a brawl

Our coach -former PL and Welsh international central defender (who you wouldn't mess with) would happily have chinned him - but you just can't do it without risking your career

On 02/06/2023 at 06:11, ANDY said:

Fans see managers and players berating refs on the field and think it gives them carte Blanche to do the same. 

it’s so ingrained in the game now I don’t know the answer to it. Lengthy bans and fines for managers and playing staff. 

stadium bans for fans 

how to police the latter is the difficult one. You can’t ban 20k fans for chanting “the referees a B’stard” etc. but scenes like we witnessed on that clip need addressing. 

You can punish fans for chanting obscenities. If it was in a town centre it would be a public order offence, but because it’s football it’s accepted. 
the sooner they start shutting down stands the better. 

Edited by duncanidaho

16 hours ago, latemodelchild said:

Thing is with rugby, if a decision goes against you you can take it out on the nearest player, or smack someone or kick em in a scrum. Or smash into em full pelt. That gets the frustration out. There's nowhere fir the frustration to go on a football pitch. I'm convinced that this is a large part of why respect to rugby refs is possible. There are other reasons too. 

Fair point about releasing the frustration, but I still think the principles of respect remain

As does the counter argument that they play a game brimming with violence and aggression yet show restraint and respect to the officials 

On 02/06/2023 at 04:04, Orlando_Trustful said:

I would love for someone to lay short arse Jose out one day. 

Mourinho has big 'no one I have gobbed off to has ever punched me in the face before' energy.  I think it would improve his attitude no end.