The National League

IWEDFM

Real fans, proper community clubs...

Some of the names currently down there are scary. Notts County, Chesterfield, Scunny, Oldham, Wrexham etc. Big clubs in their own right with decent-sized fanbases. 

IMO it is the hardest league in England (certainly to get out of). A graveyard of ex-EFL clubs that have failed to recover after suffering relegation. 

Rooting for Notts County this season as they should be nowhere near the National League in terms of size.

I grew up not far from Dorking. Can't believe they're only one division from the Football League. I didn't even know they had a team!

One of my friends is a Woking ST holder since moving there a few years ago. I've been to see them a couple of times and really enjoyed it - far less stressful than going to watch Wednesday - but it does give me some sympathy for the officials that I never previously had, because you can hear every word being said, and they get some pretty nasty abuse. Martin Tyler always stands next to the dugout - I think he's on their coaching staff - but he doesn't shout "and it's LIVE!" at kick off.

9 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

Suggests they’ve been bad on the pitch and even worse off it. 

Must be hard work to watch. 

True 

It wasn't that long ago that Notts Country had Sven Goran Eriksson as manager and they signed Sol Campbell

They're still paying for it to this day...

8 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

I grew up not far from Dorking. Can't believe they're only one division from the Football League. I didn't even know they had a team!

One of my friends is a Woking ST holder since moving there a few years ago. I've been to see them a couple of times and really enjoyed it - far less stressful than going to watch Wednesday - but it does give me some sympathy for the officials that I never previously had, because you can hear every word being said, and they get some pretty nasty abuse. Martin Tyler always stands next to the dugout - I think he's on their coaching staff - but he doesn't shout "and it's LIVE!" at kick off.

Yeah I had never heard of them before this season 

By all accounts they're making a decent fist of it as their budget must be a fraction compared to some of the bigger clubs at that level

2 hours ago, IWEDFM said:

Some of the names currently down there are scary. Notts County, Chesterfield, Scunny, Oldham, Wrexham etc. Big clubs in their own right with decent-sized fanbases. 

IMO it is the hardest league in England (certainly to get out of). A graveyard of ex-EFL clubs that have failed to recover after suffering relegation. 

Rooting for Notts County this season as they should be nowhere near the National League in terms of size.

I'm rooting for York City, got a few family members that follow them, recently moved to a new stadium and doing well this season. 

• Like 1

Just now, beswetherick said:

Real nightmare of a division to get out of with only two promotion spots to play for — champions go up automatically and 2nd-7th have to go through the play-offs for the second spot.

Seems quite unfair really, considering 3 go up automatically from L2

Wrexham finished 2nd last season on 88 points hitting 91 goals in the process yet lost in the playoffs to Grimsbsy in 6th who eventually went on to win the final. It does seem harsh 

13 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

Real nightmare of a division to get out of with only two promotion spots to play for — champions go up automatically and 2nd-7th have to go through the play-offs for the second spot.

Seems quite unfair really, considering 3 go up automatically from L2

It is really the playoffs that are unfair, although everyone signs up for them.

You spend all season trying to get more points than your rival and if you finish third you get to play in the lottery that is the playoffs however big the gap between 3rd and 4th.

Still, it is exciting.

6 minutes ago, IWEDFM said:

Wrexham finished 2nd last season on 88 points hitting 91 goals in the process yet lost in the playoffs to Grimsbsy in 6th who eventually went on to win the final. It does seem harsh 

Playoffs aren't a new concept. No harsher than MK Dons losing yo Wycombe last season. 

Been to watch York a couple of times quite enjoy it, specially when there's no emotional attachment to the team 

1 minute ago, fudge27 said:

Playoffs aren't a new concept. No harsher than MK Dons losing yo Wycombe last season. 

Been to watch York a couple of times quite enjoy it, specially when there's no emotional attachment to the team 

I know it isn't new but where as in League Two there are three automatic spots up for grabs. It seems harsh that in the NL only the team finishing 1st goes up automatically and the 2nd placed side has to go through the playoffs 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, IWEDFM said:

I know it isn't new but where as in League Two there are three automatic spots up for grabs. It seems harsh that in the NL only the team finishing 1st goes up automatically and the 2nd placed side has to go through the playoffs 

You could say that about any league though. 

It's unfair 4th in league 2 can lose and the team in 7th go up. Its the nature of the competition they all enter at the start of the season 

23 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

You could say that about any league though. 

It's unfair 4th in league 2 can lose and the team in 7th go up. Its the nature of the competition they all enter at the start of the season 

You're missing the point. It's not about who finishes where. The playoffs should be an equal system throughout the pyramid. If three go up automatically from League Two then three should go up automatically from the National League

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IWEDFM said:

You're missing the point. It's not about who finishes where. The playoffs should be an equal system throughout the pyramid. If three go up automatically from League Two then three should go up automatically from the National League

3 minutes ago, IWEDFM said:

but the conference isn't governed by the same body?  And league 2 is different to the other leagues higher up which are governed by the same body

4 hours ago, IWEDFM said:

One rung further down the ladder -in National League North - you have Darlington, Southport, Bradford Park Avenue and Hereford, all clubs that have also seen better days.

Way back in May 1997 Hereford played Brighton on the last day of the season at the foot of League Two with the losers dropping out of the League. It finished 1-1 with the draw saving Brighton at Hereford’s expense. Yes, 25 years have since passed, but look where both clubs are now !

Incidentally, geography was never my strong point at school, but it’s somewhat curious to me to see Hereford in National League North ( and not South ) !

Y'all haven't even commented on why the Conference play offs are different to play offs in the football league. Do you know how they're different? Look it up, but here's a spoiler: for the team that finished seventh to win the play-offs, they need to win 3 play-off games... and play-off games in that league are one-off affairs, not two legs. It's an odd one...

21 hours ago, IWEDFM said:

Yeah I had never heard of them before this season 

By all accounts they're making a decent fist of it as their budget must be a fraction compared to some of the bigger clubs at that level

Think their budget is smaller than Notts County and Wrexham etc, but relatively it's actually quite big! One of the clubs that's being properly bankrolled down there

57 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Y'all haven't even commented on why the Conference play offs are different to play offs in the football league. Do you know how they're different? Look it up, but here's a spoiler: for the team that finished seventh to win the play-offs, they need to win 3 play-off games... and play-off games in that league are one-off affairs, not two legs. It's an odd one...

Think their budget is smaller than Notts County and Wrexham etc, but relatively it's actually quite big! One of the clubs that's being properly bankrolled down there

That's a good point I had forgotten about. It's a quarter and semi final system. 2nd and 3rd are given a bye into the semi final whilst 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th playoff in the quarters with both winners playing the 2nd and 3rd placed sides in the semi 

The Wrexham/Grimsby semi final match last season was bonkers. It went to ET and finished 5-4 to Grimsby

I've Been enjoying my trips to Ilkeston Town.

Think they are two or three levels below the national league.

Cheap to get in, zero aggro (which is rare for Ilkeston as a place). Decent pint and I can watch the game, while drinking it. 800 to 1k on the ground regularly and you get to watch Chris O'Grady roll back the years with his dry gangrene leg. 

Edited by Maddogbob
  • Like 2