The National League

IWEDFM

I have a soft spot for Darlington ever since I managed to sneak into the George Reynolds arena about 18/20 years ago. I didn't go to a match I just happened to be in Darlington at the time. I spotted there was a gate open to one of the stands and I was able to sneak in and take some pics. Hopefully they'll rise back up the leagues as Darlington vs Hartlepool was one of the more traditional lower league rivalries 

Edited by IWEDFM

County are my favourite team in that league as it’s only a 15 minute train ride to Nottingham for me. 

They’ve certainly not missed Ian Burchnall leaving in the summer, and truth being told plenty of County supporters were happy to see him go.

New boss Luke Williams has got them playing in a similar way but Langstaff has given them a real cutting edge when the chances arrive.

5 minutes ago, g-owls said:

County are my favourite team in that league as it’s only a 15 minute train ride to Nottingham for me. 

They’ve certainly not missed Ian Burchnall leaving in the summer, and truth being told plenty of County supporters were happy to see him go.

New boss Luke Williams has got them playing in a similar way but Langstaff has given them a real cutting edge when the chances arrive.

Langstaff has been banging them in for fun this season. He only signed in the summer. He'll probably be the next non league prospect to make the step up to the EFL if County don't get promoted

Early days but looking like a two horse race. Notts and Wrexham just annihilate the rest of the league 

I noticed Wrexham got a crowd of over 10k at home yesterday. That is unbelievable for a 5th tier fixture

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, IWEDFM said:

Early days but looking like a two horse race. Notts and Wrexham just annihilate the rest of the league 

I noticed Wrexham got a crowd of over 10k at home yesterday. That is unbelievable for a 5th tier fixture

They're hoping to do something with their kop which as been closed for a while. 

Probably get another 10,000 on their if they did it properly. 

• Like 1

I went to watch County at the weekend. In the end the 4-0 result did the game justice. The dominance they enjoyed from the first whistle being rewarded with a couple of late goals.

Ten goals in the last two games and Langstaff has only scored one of them! He’s at his level though as his game is actually very limited. He won’t drift into wide areas and his role is simply to stay on the line of the last defender taking a position between the width of the goal posts. Very much the old school poacher. At a higher level he won’t be afforded as much space and without the quick turn of pace he’s not in a position of making his own opportunities.

He may well be the difference in them getting into the football league again but he’s not going to end up ripping it up in the Championship for anyone in time to come. 

• Like 2

The lad Jeff King at Chez looks like he could be a football league player soon. Plays right back and only 26, and scored 6 league goals in 16 matches which would be a good return for a winger or number 10, never mind a full back. Reckon he'll be off shortly if they don't get promoted this season 

On 11/10/2022 at 14:00, Kew Owl said:

Incidentally, geography was never my strong point at school, but it’s somewhat curious to me to see Hereford in National League North ( and not South ) !

All depends on the geographical spread of the teams at that level. A few years back Bishops Stortford ( Hertfordshire!) had a couple of seasons in what was the Conference North until sanity prevailed.

Been watching Chelmsford City since 1986 and they've been in what is now the National South since 2008; that season they won the Ryman and went up with AFC Wimbledon. Had about five or six successive seasons just after when they got in the play offs but got to only one final where they managed to outdo Wednesday. One up with half an hour to go, opposition (Ebbsfleet) down to ten men but they still f***ed it up.

Incidentally, the year Hereford got into the league (RIP Ronnie) they only came second in the Southern League.....to Chelmsford. What might have been....

• Like 1

On 31/10/2022 at 09:43, WorrallOwl17 said:

The lad Jeff King at Chez looks like he could be a football league player soon. Plays right back and only 26, and scored 6 league goals in 16 matches which would be a good return for a winger or number 10, never mind a full back. Reckon he'll be off shortly if they don't get promoted this season 

I've wanted Wednesday to sign him and Tshimanga.

King will go on and play championship football he's a really good full back/wing back. 

Would suit Moores team, Tshimanga before his injury was incredible, failed a medical at Birmingham but they are likely to revist. 

It does look like a two horse race at the moment between County and Wrexham but a long way to go yet! 

On 11/10/2022 at 09:58, punkskaphil said:

I grew up not far from Dorking. Can't believe they're only one division from the Football League. I didn't even know they had a team!

One of my friends is a Woking ST holder since moving there a few years ago. I've been to see them a couple of times and really enjoyed it - far less stressful than going to watch Wednesday - but it does give me some sympathy for the officials that I never previously had, because you can hear every word being said, and they get some pretty nasty abuse. Martin Tyler always stands next to the dugout - I think he's on their coaching staff - but he doesn't shout "and it's LIVE!" at kick off.

Have a look for Bunch of Amateurs on Youtube, in particular Dorking Uncovered.  They've run a couple of seasons filming Dorking games, behind the scenes etc.  Marc White is a very interesting character to say the least.  It's a great series, I'd recommend it to any football fan, let alone someone with affiliation to Dorking. 

On 30/10/2022 at 16:49, IWEDFM said:

It is quite good considering it’s £21 on the day and £380 for a season ticket.

Reynolds publicity has done them incredibly well. Not ouch competition in North Wales for sides, wouldn’t be surprised if people in Chester pop down. They might even steal the kids who follow Liverpool up there too. Big season for them, feel they need to go up this season with the money spent.

22 minutes ago, lukeyswfc said:

It is quite good considering it’s £21 on the day and £380 for a season ticket.

Reynolds publicity has done them incredibly well. Not ouch competition in North Wales for sides, wouldn’t be surprised if people in Chester pop down. They might even steal the kids who follow Liverpool up there too. Big season for them, feel they need to go up this season with the money spent.

£380 for a season ticket...wowsers. 

How does that compare to the rest of non league

42 minutes ago, Drewswfc said:

£380 for a season ticket...wowsers. 

How does that compare to the rest of non league

Wildly varies.

Boreham Wood it’s £185 from 18-69 and free if you’re over 70. Then you have Scunthorpe down the bottom of the league at £470. Ouch. Some disgusting prices for the 5th tier really.

Wrexham are 7th most expensive. £400 at Chesterfield.

1 hour ago, lukeyswfc said:

Wildly varies.

Boreham Wood it’s £185 from 18-69 and free if you’re over 70. Then you have Scunthorpe down the bottom of the league at £470. Ouch. Some disgusting prices for the 5th tier really.

Wrexham are 7th most expensive. £400 at Chesterfield.

Wow not cheap then is it.

I'd have thought about £10/£12 a game. 

How much is it at hallam/Sheffield fc these days