Is long ball football dead?

32 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

In the Premier League at least, it seems that way....

Screenshot 2022-08-07 at 13.50.32.png

Loads in the Premier League as any casual observer can see.it’s just called something different ‘ie pin point pass’ ‘quick break’ or similar. 

• Like 1

Some really interesting general trends in that data.

So many clubs becoming more open as they establish themselves over the years. The one hold out being Burnley, who remained route one season after season.

Most promoted team start route one or mixed when they first came up. The exceptions being Brentford, who spent years perfecting their style before finally coming up and doing well with their play from the back. And the other two excemptions being Norwich and Fulham who have perfected being yo-yo teams who get PL money every other year and play the same way whether in the Championship or PL. Seems to have been a successful business model for them.

But the most interesting thing is how many, until then, established teams have reverted back to route one and then got relegated:

Villa, Newcastle, Sunderland all did this after being established for years. But I think this is a chicken and egg situation, with financial woes coming first and them reverting to cheaper, more route one players. I remember it was easy to predict each of those relegations a good 18 months out.

With this in mind, I'd be worried if I was a Palace or, especially, an Everton fan. Looks like both teams began that negative transition last season.

59 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

The less technical players play at the lower levels so generally do go a bit longer Moore tries to get us to play the best football possible 

I'd say this nails it

Lower leagues is a bit more hoofball

Darren Moore's brand of football is great - attacking, forward thrusting, exciting, and goals!

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, The coach said:

Long ball is fine..can’t stand pointless passes..City this afternoon..after about 52 minutes..had amassed 400 plus passes..with one shot on target..the penalty..borin and tedious,,especially at our level..gerrit in mixer asap

Great to watch total football I bet city fans are sick of watching them win trophies 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, brando said:

Just watched Man city and West ham...was crap..city loads of possession.. but like watching paint dry...

Got to agree. Man City are pretty much the best side in the country, and amongst the best I the world, but I find watching many of their games so dull - to be fair, that’s often because the opposition put everyone behind the ball and City are happy to endlessly pass from side to side until they finally wear the opposition down.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, brando said:

Just watched Man city and West ham...was crap..city loads of possession.. but like watching paint dry...

I'm undecided. I want to watch games with skill, passion, and fast passing football. I don't particularly want to watch long ball football, but surely it still has its place in football, particularly lower down the leagues. It's not just long ball, it's fast, direct passing, playing percentages. 

Watched Man City this afternoon, and there were flashes of really entertaining stuff, but literally hundreds of seemingly unnecessary, slow, pass back to each other passes. I get the skill level was high, and they often switched the play to do it, but passion? Pretty much none. It was one team dominating another for 90 minutes, and I wasn't entertained by it at all. All of these players on tens of thousands a week, wingers (my favourite players) also seem to be being slowly phased out of the game. I just find it as bland as hell to be honest. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, eightbelow said:

Good point, but when you have the most money and the best players you should win it. Another 100 million to do the same thing.

Man Utd have apparently spent 1 billion since Fergie retired. Commentator mentioned they may need to spend another billion to get close to challenging City...