Is long ball football dead?

1 hour ago, The coach said:

Long ball is fine..can’t stand pointless passes..City this afternoon..after about 52 minutes..had amassed 400 plus passes..with one shot on target..the penalty..borin and tedious,,especially at our level..gerrit in mixer asap

I don’t disagree with thIs because we are closer to non-league than Man City (in ability). What boils my p@#s is when clueless managers (no names mentioned) try to play like City because it’s modern and cool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SDS Owl said:

I don’t disagree with thIs because we are closer to non-league than Man City (in ability). What boils my p@#s is when clueless managers (no names mentioned) try to play like City because it’s modern and cool.

Have a big exactamondo on me..💯

i'm a fully paid up member of the gerrit launched wilko style brigade  which was  a bit different  from hoofball  but usually ended up with with chappy getting on the end of summat in the box ......while no doubt a dead duck in the prem it would still work at our level .

2 hours ago, brando said:

Just watched Man city and West ham...was crap..city loads of possession.. but like watching paint dry...

Depends what you enjoy I guess. I personally much prefer teams like Man City to high temp end to end games.

1 hour ago, matt68owls said:

we were called a long ball team under Wilko, but it was successful and exciting to watch, especially 83/84 and 84/85. I would much rather watch that than the pass pass pass pass teams that adorn the top end of the premier league.

Me too.

1 hour ago, SDS Owl said:

Totally agree. Modern football is boring as foook. Get it it forward, get it wide and get it into the box. I'd much rather watch long ball than the tippy tappy shiite, especially centre halves receiving the ball from the keeper inside the 6 yard box. 

• Thanks 1

Can't understand all this fashion for numerous passes for no reason. Simple game got complicated.

Surely it's about mixing the play up, yes get the passing about when you are 1 nil up with few mins to play.

Stop the fashion play what suits the team and short or long during the game is fine.

On 07/08/2022 at 22:40, bladeshater said:

I think city have sold players this season for over 100 million which you fail to post 

That irrelevant to the point really, they sold them as they are surplus to requirements and they have, in their mind upgraded. I would like to see them win the CL for no other reason that they are an English club, unlike the scouse clowns. If they don't win the CL then they have spent 100 million to achieve the same end result.

Guest Andy W
On 07/08/2022 at 21:18, Otley Owl said:

I'm undecided. I want to watch games with skill, passion, and fast passing football. I don't particularly want to watch long ball football, but surely it still has its place in football, particularly lower down the leagues. It's not just long ball, it's fast, direct passing, playing percentages. 

Watched Man City this afternoon, and there were flashes of really entertaining stuff, but literally hundreds of seemingly unnecessary, slow, pass back to each other passes. I get the skill level was high, and they often switched the play to do it, but passion? Pretty much none. It was one team dominating another for 90 minutes, and I wasn't entertained by it at all. All of these players on tens of thousands a week, wingers (my favourite players) also seem to be being slowly phased out of the game. I just find it as bland as hell to be honest. 

I don't watch much football other than us.

I reckon that could be the point...Man City, Liverpool etc play what they play but if I do watch I have no passion for who wins cos I don't care

I DO care when we play though