I'd be happy if we never spent a transfer fee again

Wrong way of looking at it.

We are getting frees (with probably large signing on fees etc), but they are all old with no sell on fee.

Now if you have good scouts, buying young up and coming players, then develop and sell them at a profit, that has to be better in the long run.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, nickswfc said:

Given the calibre of players available for nothing, I'd argue whilst we're out of the Premier League, it isn't neccessary to pay transfer fees. 

A big money signing is exciting, but the fees we've spent over the last 6 years have played a huge part in putting us in the position we're in. Abdi, Rhodes, Reach, Van Aken..over £20mill spent for very little in return.

Bannan, Wallace, Westwood, Fletcher, Hunt, Johnson, Gregory (to name a few) all on frees. Yes, there have been duds, but the risk is significantly mitigated by not paying upfront.

We've been accused on social media for enticing Smith away with a rumoured £14k a week. For arguments sake lets say this is true.

If we'd paid £500k for Smith (modest in today's market), and gave him say £8k a week, this represents a greater financial outlay, but no one bats an eyelid and we're not accused of splashing the cash.

and of course you also have the prospect of selling to gain straight profit on players. 

It might just be the most sensible way to finally becoming self sustaining. 

Think we paid about 500k for Bannan, and was and still is the only realistic potential money-earner that we could have made a profit on (from the names you mentioned).

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Whatever gets us success if fine by me!

We have to remember however many of these players have come here because of DM and his pull. It’s almost the perfect storm in terms of big club/fanbase and DM:  Not sure what it is but he seems to attract players. Long may it continue 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

Wrong way of looking at it.

We are getting frees (with probably large signing on fees etc), but they are all old with no sell on fee.

Now if you have good scouts, buying young up and coming players, then develop and sell them at a profit, that has to be better in the long run.

Yes look at Scott Twine as an example.

MK signed him from Swindon for 300k. A year later he looks like being sold for £5m+

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, edwinowl said:

We have to remember however many of these players have come here because of DM and his pull. It’s almost the perfect storm in terms of big club/fanbase and DM:  Not sure what it is but he seems to attract players. Long may it continue 

They've come here for the money and longer contract - let's not kid ourselves.

I am very happy with our signings so far - but money talks even Neil Diamond knows that.

14 minutes ago, nickswfc said:

Given the calibre of players available for nothing, I'd argue whilst we're out of the Premier League, it isn't neccessary to pay transfer fees. 

A big money signing is exciting, but the fees we've spent over the last 6 years have played a huge part in putting us in the position we're in. Abdi, Rhodes, Reach, Van Aken..over £20mill spent for very little in return.

Bannan, Wallace, Westwood, Fletcher, Hunt, Johnson, Gregory (to name a few) all on frees. Yes, there have been duds, but the risk is significantly mitigated by not paying upfront.

We've been accused on social media for enticing Smith away with a rumoured £14k a week. For arguments sake lets say this is true.

If we'd paid £500k for Smith (modest in today's market), and gave him say £8k a week, this represents a greater financial outlay, but no one bats an eyelid and we're not accused of splashing the cash.

and of course you also have the prospect of selling to gain straight profit on players. 

It might just be the most sensible way to finally becoming self sustaining. 

Playing devils advocate, the balance tips significantly the other way over say a 3 year contract.

Getting the balance right is imperative. Mixture of deals like Smith along with younger players with potential to increase in value, who might incur an initial fee 

• Like 1

As much as I’d like to see a more sustainable plan moving forward with an emphasis on young players either coming through our own Academy or being picked up from elsewhere, I doubt whether this will ever happen due to the hyper critical nature of our fan base?

Managers here seem to trust experienced players knowing that they’re more suited to handling the pressures of playing in front of a demanding crowd.

I’m expecting the usual responses but let’s be honest whether we like it, agree with it or not, it is a factor as the constant stick Moore gets quite clearly shows.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Jim said:

As much as I’d like to see a more sustainable plan moving forward with an emphasis on young players either coming through our own Academy or being picked up from elsewhere, I doubt whether this will ever happen due to the hyper critical nature of our fan base?

Managers here seem to trust experienced players knowing that they’re more suited to handling the pressures of playing in front of a demanding crowd.

I’m expecting the usual responses but let’s be honest whether we like it, agree with it or not, it is a factor as the constant stick Moore gets quite clearly shows.

Here is your expected usual response then.

Why do some fans constantly attack our own fans, and tar them all with the same brush. All those other club's fans never get on their players backs - really?

We have been remarkably patient for 20 odd years, more so than many other club's fan's would have tolerated.

• Like 2

Guest hirstysfags

I would imagine you need to get someone a bit "premium" to fire us out of the Championship into the PL though. Not many frees do that.

5 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

Here is your expected usual response then.

Why do some fans constantly attack our own fans, and tar them all with the same brush. All those other club's fans never get on their players backs - really?

We have been remarkably patient for 20 odd years, more so than many other club's fan's would have tolerated.

Spot on.

With the way footballs going more players are happy to run down contracts so the quality of free agents is higher than say 5 years ago. 

I'd say consider the player on merit. A savvy investment of a fee in a young saleable asset is fine but sensible pragmatic recruitment of free agents is a winner too. 

At least we have learned lessons. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DeBilde'sTea said:

With the way footballs going more players are happy to run down contracts so the quality of free agents is higher than say 5 years ago. 

I'd say consider the player on merit. A savvy investment of a fee in a young saleable asset is fine but sensible pragmatic recruitment of free agents is a winner too. 

At least we have learned lessons. 

What lessons have we learned? We have landed Smith cus we jave offered him more money than Hull and Rovrum..2 teams in a higher division