I'd be happy if we never spent a transfer fee again

35 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

They've come here for the money and longer contract - let's not kid ourselves.

I am very happy with our signings so far - but money talks even Neil Diamond knows that.

And the loans last year ? 

32 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

Here is your expected usual response then.

Why do some fans constantly attack our own fans, and tar them all with the same brush. All those other club's fans never get on their players backs - really?

We have been remarkably patient for 20 odd years, more so than many other club's fan's would have tolerated.

Think what you want and I’ll think what I want. 

• Haha 2

Unless it gets us success I disagree. 

We are in League 1 and have been on a downward trend for years. Unless we show we can recruit successfully with small budgets we will forever just swim around league 1/lower Champ like we have for the last 23 years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nickswfc said:

Given the calibre of players available for nothing, I'd argue whilst we're out of the Premier League, it isn't neccessary to pay transfer fees. 

A big money signing is exciting, but the fees we've spent over the last 6 years have played a huge part in putting us in the position we're in. Abdi, Rhodes, Reach, Van Aken..over £20mill spent for very little in return.

Bannan, Wallace, Westwood, Fletcher, Hunt, Johnson, Gregory (to name a few) all on frees. Yes, there have been duds, but the risk is significantly mitigated by not paying upfront.

We've been accused on social media for enticing Smith away with a rumoured £14k a week. For arguments sake lets say this is true.

If we'd paid £500k for Smith (modest in today's market), and gave him say £8k a week, this represents a greater financial outlay, but no one bats an eyelid and we're not accused of splashing the cash.

and of course you also have the prospect of selling to gain straight profit on players. 

It might just be the most sensible way to finally becoming self sustaining. 

If the 5 players signed cost in total £5 million which in today's market would be good value and we pay them each £14k a week the total cost would be £3,640,000 a year. We've done a great bit of business buying them for free 

44 minutes ago, The coach said:

What lessons have we learned? We have landed Smith cus we jave offered him more money than Hull and Rovrum..2 teams in a higher division

Or have we offered him more game time as well. Not all about money for some players. Also toytown and maybe Hull have to be amongst the favourites to get relegated and we must be amongst the favourites to be promoted.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

I know, but the OP said we got him on a free, we didn't - we paid a small fee for him, and then made a profit - which is kind of my point.

I was referencing signing him last season.

But irrespective, rather than picking holes in my list, my point is we've done great business via the free transfer market over the years and I don't think this can be denied.

2 hours ago, royalowlisback said:

Wrong way of looking at it.

We are getting frees (with probably large signing on fees etc), but they are all old with no sell on fee.

Now if you have good scouts, buying young up and coming players, then develop and sell them at a profit, that has to be better in the long run.

They're not all old, plenty of our free transfer have been for younger players.

In terms of paying low, developing and selling on, it sounds great on paper. But my point would still apply, you still have the financial risk of a wasted fee.

You can look at the realised Prem academy players, develop them and sell on. 

4 minutes ago, nickswfc said:

I was referencing signing him last season.

But irrespective, rather than picking holes in my list, my point is we've done great business via the free transfer market over the years and I don't think this can be denied.

Not picking holes at all, and Am I meant to be a mindreader by knowing you meant signing him second time around?

You said you would be happy to never pay a transfer fee again - I hope you like lower league football then?

49 minutes ago, darra said:

Or have we offered him more game time as well. Not all about money for some players. Also toytown and maybe Hull have to be amongst the favourites to get relegated and we must be amongst the favourites to be promoted.

this 👍

2 hours ago, nickswfc said:

Given the calibre of players available for nothing, I'd argue whilst we're out of the Premier League, it isn't neccessary to pay transfer fees. 

A big money signing is exciting, but the fees we've spent over the last 6 years have played a huge part in putting us in the position we're in. Abdi, Rhodes, Reach, Van Aken..over £20mill spent for very little in return.

Bannan, Wallace, Westwood, Fletcher, Hunt, Johnson, Gregory (to name a few) all on frees. Yes, there have been duds, but the risk is significantly mitigated by not paying upfront.

We've been accused on social media for enticing Smith away with a rumoured £14k a week. For arguments sake lets say this is true.

If we'd paid £500k for Smith (modest in today's market), and gave him say £8k a week, this represents a greater financial outlay, but no one bats an eyelid and we're not accused of splashing the cash.

and of course you also have the prospect of selling to gain straight profit on players. 

It might just be the most sensible way to finally becoming self sustaining. 

Thanks for your view Mr Chansiri sir, I know it's you

2 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

Not picking holes at all, and Am I meant to be a mindreader by knowing you meant signing him second time around?

You said you would be happy to never pay a transfer fee again - I hope you like lower league football then?

Given it's a thread about players we've signed on a free - I don't think you need to be a mindreader to know I meant the time we signed him on a free. 

I hadn't realised we'd paid a fee for Bannan though.

and no I don't like lower league football, which is why my whole point is I think we can sustainably succeed without paying fees.

1 hour ago, The coach said:

What lessons have we learned? We have landed Smith cus we jave offered him more money than Hull and Rovrum..2 teams in a higher division

To not spoff money here there everywhere on players unproven in the division. This transfer activity seems much more pragmatic and focused on players proven at this level with sensible amounts spent. 

15 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

Pogba has just joined Bayern on a free. Just saying like 🤣🤣

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nickswfc said:

Given it's a thread about players we've signed on a free - I don't think you need to be a mindreader to know I meant the time we signed him on a free. 

I hadn't realised we'd paid a fee for Bannan though.

and no I don't like lower league football, which is why my whole point is I think we can sustainably succeed without paying fees.

So to get this right, I had to know you meant Hunt the second time round, even though you didn't know we paid a fee for Bannan - which is more common knowledge than the Hunt one?

Getting players on frees, isn't sustainable, if it was that easy every club in football would do it. The key is a mixture of signings - but not signing young players on an upward trajectory, and then selling them on a huge profit is a sure-fire way to keep losing money. Most of the 'free' signings we make are older, have little or no re-sale value - then leave for nothing or retire (same thing).

2 hours ago, Southie_Owl said:

I’d like us to pay a transfer fee to get Wilks here.  Have a feeling he could follow in Antonio’s career path and be worth a few bob in the future 

This ^ we are playing hard ball which is good to see but if we can get Wilks it would be an excellent signing

• Like 1